Dear Landlords, what is your favorite tenant screening service?

Dear Landlords, what is your favorite tenant screening service?

New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 8 votes

Hi, everyone!

It seems to me that the bigger part of you now using tenant screening services for credit/background checks. Which service is the best according to you? Would you better use independent service or maybe service, that inbuilt in online rental service? What is difference for you between free and paid? Thanks a lot in advance. 

2Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

personal opinion, gut feeling, is my top screening service. 

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    personal opinion, gut feeling, is my top screening service. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    I was just listening to Bigger Pockets Podcast #101, and the guest on that show mentioned Resident Research. I haven't used them myself, but might actually try them in the next week or so... Currently researching tenant screening companies myself! :) Best of luck to you.

  • Investor · Mission, TX · Member since 2017 · 220 posts · 135 votes
    9y
    Solomon Johnson cozy. Although I've heard the screening may not be as thorough. I like the way it works a lot though!
  • Professional · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 124 posts · 31 votes
    9y

    Talking about me, when I need to make my tenant screening, I prefer Experian, especially when it's free like in  this case.

  • Peter MorrisseyPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2016 · 66 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    I use https://www.mysmartmove.com/. The tenant pays and doesn't seem to mind. I tell them that it protects them as well because everyone in the building is subject to the check. The tenant also fills out everything online. I don't have to store any personal data. They check criminal background, credit and for any eviction history that has been registered. I do collect a written application first which asks about income and previous addresses and if they have been convicted of crimes etc. The services don't check with previous landlords. You still have to do that. Where I live you have to provide the same standards for everyone you screen and you have to have a good reason for rejecting someone.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    I have used smartmove and while the Smart move interface is nice and I have good luck up to the last tenant I am considering a change. It was 35 a person and no information. I did call them and was able to verify previous addresses but was surprised that my report did not have those addresses or show alternate names of a tenant married 3 years ago. I am not sure if that is unusual but will probably give something else a try and see.
  • New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Thanks everyone for your replies. It seems to me that somehow it's harder to choose than to find appropriate tenant screening service. Wish you all luck!

  • Investor · Leesburg, AL · Member since 2014 · 46 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    I also look at what they're driving.  I don't expect brand new vehicles, but I don't want Beverly Hillbillies trucks either! 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    @Solomon Johnson I ended up using SmartMove and found the process very easy -- just create your account, and send an invite to your tenant applicant and they fill out all the paperwork on their own, and you get the report within minutes of them turning in their application to the website! They don't give you the applicant's actual credit score, but they give you a resident score, which SmartMove believes is the most important thing you could have -- it is their measurement of whether or not the tenant will pay on time, be reliable, etc... I liked it so far! My applicant came up as an "Accept", so we'll see how accurate their prediction is over time.

  • Central Valley, CA · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    @Chi Nguyen Wow, I didnt know that MySmartMove didn't give an actual credit score.  And after looking at their website, I can see now that its not implied either.  Is the rest of the report comprehensive?

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    @Darek J. Yes, the report they offer includes a full credit report, criminal background check, national eviction report in addition to their ResidentScore... I found it pretty comprehensive, but this is my first time landlording and thus my first time using a screening service, so I don't have much to compare it against. If it helps at all, BiggerPockets does support and recommend TransUnion SmartMove, so I figured it was as good as it might get :) 

    It does take a lot of the work out of screening a tenant for you, and don't quote me, but I was just listening to a BP podcast recently and I could've sworn that Josh recommended it on air and said that tons and tons of people have used it and they've always heard good things!

    I tried using Resident Research like one of their podcast guests recommended, but it was nowhere close to the ease that TU SM provided. SM swears that their ResidentScore may be even better than a credit score because it takes multiple factors into account... Let's hope they're right, since I went with them for my first time!

  • Central Valley, CA · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    @Chi Nguyen I heard the recommendation on a BP podcast too,  so I've kept the site bookmarked on my browser. Knock on wood my inherited tenants continue to be model residents and decide to stay a lot longer. When the time comes though, I'll give smart move a try. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    @Darek J. Good luck!! :) Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions in the future.

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 91 posts · 67 votes
    9y

    I pre-screen with paper applications for rental history, incomes, DTI, etc... then Smart Move for background and credit. I then cross check b/w the two.

    When possible, i have a sit down interview with the prospective applicants at their CURRENT resident and give them the chance to explain any discrepancies. Been catching a lot of lies in the process. I also discuss about the items in the lease and expectations. This move also gives me a glance look at their life style, condition of the place, existing pets.

    All the steps above are clearly listed in the application package (without listing my intention). Anybody with a hidden agenda mostly drops off when reading the package. Save my time !!!  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.