Any way to guarentee tenants move out and don't need eviction

Any way to guarentee tenants move out and don't need eviction

Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 122 posts · 87 votes

I have 8 units with tenants in a property I just purchased. The property needs significant rehab, so I need everyone to move out (both to start work asap, and so someone in the county doesn't decide to get upset that people are living there with probable health violations and such). I legally only need to give 30 days notice, but as some of them have lived there a long time, the sargent and eviction officer I spoke with recommended I give 60 days notice to ensure any eviction process goes smoothly. I was okay with that since I can't really start the rehab that soon anyway. 60 days notice means 90 days total if I need to evict.

Now I just had one of the tenants call me and ask if I could give them 90 days so their kids can finish school before they have to move. 7 of the 8 units have kids (some have a lot). I was expecting 90 days anyway, but if I have to evict after 90 days I may have a total of 120 days, which I'd rather not have. Is there any way I can help guarentee everyone will move out by day 90?

I though about requiring that they show me a lease or proof that they have a place to move to on day 90 (requiring it by day 60 or I start eviction then), or some kind of fine if they don't move out by day 90 (though I don't think any of them have money so suing if they don't pay wouldn't get me anything). No one has a lease (I assume they all did at some point with the previous owner, but some could be squatters for all I know). 

0Reply
14 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 940 posts · 695 votes
    9y

    If they ask for longer, I think asking for proof of new address is a good solution.  You could also incentivize them with a cash for keys deal if they are gone by a certain date

    Best of luck!!

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    I've found @Elizabeth Wilson 's approach works a high percentage of the time.

    Create a document (2 copies), Surrender of Occupancy, note date, time, amount given and the statement:

    • I am surrendering possession of the unit at ________________ on this date and have surrendered the keys for the amount noted above.
    • both parties sign and exchange one copy
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.