Do you have a business cell phone or use your own?

Do you have a business cell phone or use your own?

Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, MN · Member since 2017 · 518 posts · 354 votes

I'm debating this one. I hate the thought of having 2 cell phones, but I'd like to keep them separate I think. Thoughts???

0Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

@Jennifer Rysdam Use Google Voice.  It's free.  Calls can be forwarded to your cell phone and you can make calls using the Google Voice app that will appear to the person on the other end as though it were coming from your Google Voice number.  Plus you can put it in do-not-disturb mode when you want.  You can text.  So many great features. 

You definitely don't want to give your personal number to tenants.  Personally, I have all tenant calls go to voice mail and I call back.

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Jennifer Rysdam Use Google Voice.  It's free.  Calls can be forwarded to your cell phone and you can make calls using the Google Voice app that will appear to the person on the other end as though it were coming from your Google Voice number.  Plus you can put it in do-not-disturb mode when you want.  You can text.  So many great features. 

    You definitely don't want to give your personal number to tenants.  Personally, I have all tenant calls go to voice mail and I call back.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Belvidere, IL · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Google Voice. Your paid line and the pseudo Google Voice line go to the same phone.  I separate Real Estate and home life this way. 

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    9y

    Google voice+forwarding. 

    Our tenants have my personal cell number. We screen well and don't rent to bums so it hasn't been a problem, and I rarely have more than 2 or 3 communications in an entire year with a tenant on my cell - and most of those are of my initiative, i.e. "The tree cutters will be there on Monday to grind that stump". 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, MN · Member since 2017 · 518 posts · 354 votes
    9y

    Thanks everyone. I just bought an 8-plex and will be inheriting some that are going to need to leave. Thinking maybe Google voice would be a great option :)

  • Property Manager · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    @JD Martin has it right for most property types. Google voice is great for office calls. It also allows you to forward calls to someone else if you take some time off.  We use a dedicated emergency line and a separate maintenance/accounting line.  Just set up a second Google voice number for emergency calls and program your phone with a distinctive ring. That way you get the "garage is on fire" call at 3am on one account, while the "maintenance complaint" can go to voice mail. 

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 736 posts · 582 votes
    9y
    I use Ring Central. I have a main business line, a direct business line. Both ring to my cell phone with the direct line having the ability to send and receive texts.. The fax line forwards me emails of any received faxes. I have conferencing capabilities. I can set the number to ring only during "business hours" I set. I also have an IP phone and head set (for longer calls) at home (Numbers ring at home first) I love the system.
  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, MN · Member since 2017 · 518 posts · 354 votes
    9y

    @Michael Cooper That is a great idea!!! Thanks :) I'm still pretty small (8-plex) so that might be the way to go for me for now. Then maybe @Account Closed's idea would work later when I have more going on.

    Thanks again!

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    Probably once or twice a month me answering the phone after 6 pm, when none of the other lenders on the other offers does, plays a role in having an offer accepted. So, ya, the number I put out there needs to go to my personal cell.

  • Professional · Nokomis, FL · Member since 2013 · 123 posts · 99 votes
    9y

    If you have an iphone, I prefer sideline.  costs me $2 a month, uses my cell minutes, so even if I dont have fast data connection I can still make and receive quality phone calls, text, etc.  Has just worked better for me than google voice (it does have a free version as well, but I hate the ads)

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    I have a Blackberry work phone and my personal phone (iphone) on me at all times.

  • Professional · Nokomis, FL · Member since 2013 · 123 posts · 99 votes
    9y

    I have also used Hotline America for incoming calls as well as a way to provide more info to customers.  They type in the house number and hear info on the house, can have an app texted to them (link to pdf) or additional info texted or, based on hours, can press a button to talk to me.  As soon as they type in the house number, I get a text with their contact name and cell number.  neat service for just $20 a month!

  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I have a separate cell because my other is provided by work. There is no issue with personal calls, but I did not want to involve business.

    I will be looking to move off of this now that you guys have turned me onto Google Voice. Thank you

  • Wholesaler · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    Google voice and Grasshopper... Best combo

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, MN · Member since 2017 · 518 posts · 354 votes
    9y

    How much data does Google voice use? I don't have much data. I might be better off just getting another phone instead. Decisions, decisions.....

  • Wholesaler · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    With the unlimited Data plans available today, it's really worth the investment.

    That being said, voice doesn't use a lot unless you're making a ton of calls off wifi.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, MN · Member since 2017 · 518 posts · 354 votes
    9y

    I just set up my Google Voice account. Thanks everyone for all of the advice and suggestions, I really appreciate it. :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, MN · Member since 2017 · 518 posts · 354 votes
    9y

    Is there a way to have my Google Voice calls have a different ring tone so I know if it's business or personal? I can't find any instruction online for it.

  • Wholesaler · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    Yeah, you can change the ringtone within the GVoice app

    Menu > Settings > Account > Notifications > Incoming Calls > Select Ringtone

    If that doesn't work, you'll need to download the HANGOUTS app and follow the same steps.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, MN · Member since 2017 · 518 posts · 354 votes
    9y

    Great! Thanks @Richard Wormwood I appreciate it :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.