Home Inspector and General contractor - Charleston/Summerville SC

Home Inspector and General contractor - Charleston/Summerville SC

Rental Property Investor · Summerville, SC · Member since 2017 · 169 posts · 36 votes

I'm close to buying my first investment property in the Charleston area (likely in Goose Creek).  Does anybody know of a good home inspector that I could use?  I'm not happy w/ the one I used for my primary residence so I'm looking around for a new one.

Also looking for a good general contractor for any updates/renovations that may be necessary.  I've heard horror stories of people dealing w/ the wrong contractor so I'd like to avoid that by using someone w/ a good reputation.  

Thanks for your help!

0Reply
74 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Mount Pleasant, SC · Member since 2013 · 547 posts · 235 votes
9y

Jeff Donaldson @ Ace Preferred Inspections has an outstanding team and does a great job. 

 Contractors are another matter altogether.  I was a remodeling consultant for 23 years and we have rehabbed/flipped 24 houses in the past few years.  Even with all that experience, and multiple layers of protection from bad contractors, we have still been robbed twice in the past 4 years by shady and/or desperate contractors.  Hire someone who is insured and bonded and insist on obtaining copies of insurance and bond certificates before paying a dime.  

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2016 · 57 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    I've used Frank Hall for both my personal residence and our investment property home inspections.  He is outstanding - reviews all the little nooks and crannies as well as provides recommendations on what can be monitored versus repaired.  He worked in construction for many decades, and he has been inspecting homes for years now as well.  PM me, and I'll give you his number.

  • Danny RandazzoPro Member
    Apartment Syndicator · Charleston, SC · Member since 2016 · 973 posts · 728 votes
    9y

    Charles McCraken with CFM Home Inspections is the best

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    Hi Andrew. I've used Robert Knowles (Knowles Inspection Services) for all my properties in Charleston. He's been doing this for over 30 years and is also a structural engineer. He is INCREDIBLY thorough and his reports have been very helpful in negotiating final terms. The agents always say the same thing when they see the inspection report; 'I've never seen anything like this'! Good luck with the property. Will you keep us posted on how it goes?
  • Rental Property Investor · Summerville, SC · Member since 2017 · 169 posts · 36 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the recommendations guys. Unfortunately, or offer on the house got turned down for another offer but we're still looking for another one.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Mount Pleasant, SC · Member since 2013 · 547 posts · 235 votes
    9y

    Jeff Donaldson @ Ace Preferred Inspections has an outstanding team and does a great job. 

     Contractors are another matter altogether.  I was a remodeling consultant for 23 years and we have rehabbed/flipped 24 houses in the past few years.  Even with all that experience, and multiple layers of protection from bad contractors, we have still been robbed twice in the past 4 years by shady and/or desperate contractors.  Hire someone who is insured and bonded and insist on obtaining copies of insurance and bond certificates before paying a dime.  

  • Mount Pleasant, SC · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 1 vote
    9y

    Thanks for the shout out Simon!

    Andrew, I have inspected over 2,000 homes in the Charleston area so far, and I have had to follow behind many of the contractors and builders checking their work. 

    There is currently only 1 contractor who I trust in this entire low country area. He is licensed, insured, bonded, AND experienced, conscious of code requirements, fair priced, reliable, trustworthy, AND does the job for the price he quoted (unless there are very atypical circumstances involving hidden conditions).

    Definitely worth meeting him and getting a bid. Alex Holdgate. This site won't let me post his phone and email. So let me know if can't find him on google. 

    FYI - I am extremely selective in who I refer people to, so please let me know if you have a good or bad experience. If you are not 100% happy, I will stop referring him out. I have not heard any complaints yet in the past 2 years of knowing Alex.

    Good Luck with your first investment home!

  • Rental Property Investor · Summerville, SC · Member since 2017 · 169 posts · 36 votes
    9y

    @Russ Scheider sorry to hear about your troubles w/ contractors.  This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.  My parents got ripped off big time when renovating their house so I don't have a good impression of contractors right now.

    @Robert Knowles thanks for the recommendation.  I'd like to get into flipping soon so hopefully I'll be able to use him.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.