Inherited tenant issues

Inherited tenant issues

Investor · Orchard Park, NY · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 4 votes

Hello everyone!  So I've already got a post going about my current tenant issues, but I figured that I'd start a new one since some things have changed.  So I recently purchased a double unit with tenants occupying it month-to-month without any form of rental agreement. Upon closing, I met with the tenant and went over a rental agreement line by line, which she signed without argument.

The first month came and went on February 1st and I have yet to receive a full month's rent from her.  She informed me on February 4th that she won't have the rent until the middle of the month. She has been informed of the late fee, after having been given a five day grace period.

Today, February 14th, she informed me that she only has a partial payment for this month's rent and that she is giving me 30 days notice as of March 1st.  She claims that I will be given the rent that I am owed. At any case, this works for me, because I don't want to have to go through a long eviction process if I don't have to.  But I'm wondering if I should still serve the pay or quit in case for some reason she decides that she wants to stay after all.  I don't want to piss her off if she is in fact going to pay me the rent owed, but I also want to make sure that I'm covered if, for some reason, she decides to stay.  I no longer want her as a tenant. It's also good to note that there was no transferred security deposit with the purchase and the agreement states that payments for that don't start until March, so even better reason not to piss her off. 

It's great if she pays the rent owed, but if she doesn't then that is going to be two months rent missed. If she fails to pay rent, is it worth taking her to small claims court in NY? Her rent is $595/month, as well as a small late fee.

Thanks for the guidance!

0Reply
23 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    Assume she will not be paying any more rent. This is rather obvious at this point if you know tenants. I always take my tenants to small claims court if they owe money but most small landlords do not as they are convinced it is not worth it. I know otherwise but it is a individual decision. Most small/hobby landlords prefer to absorb their losses rather than having to deal with the business aspects of being a landlord. Money is of less importance than low stress.

    You do what ever is required based on your state codes to insure you protect yourself in this situation. I assume you have studied your state codes and know what is required correct.

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 122 posts · 87 votes
    9y
    Just as you sat down with her about the lease because you wanted something official, say you want something more official for her move out date. Since she hasn't paid rent, this form is what is legally required. Explain it line by line and say that your goal is just to keep everything legal as required by your lease and local and state laws (whatever they are in your area). I agree there could be some risk if you just tape an eviction letter to her door though. Come at her as trying to help and keep you both legally protected (again, however that works in your state).
  • Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 464 votes
    9y

    I would issue the notice to pay or quit but explain that as long as she pays as agreed and then everything should be good. Communication is key.

    Greg S., so you file a small claims case regardless, even when it does you no monetary benefit? That doesn't seem to be putting money about stress...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.