Wow, tenant is crazy

Wow, tenant is crazy

Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

This is the jist of what has happened. I've written this as a letter to them to vent, but you get the idea. It's all documented via text and email, as well as video (I used a body cam when interacting with tenants, with their permission when legally required). I am pretty confident I dotted my i's and crossed my t's on this. Text and email are practically a mountain.

Let’s review the documented facts:

You move into my house from a motel, allege bed bug infestation in the carpets. When I ask where, since I’ve never seen them living there myself or had a tenant complain, as I want to come see for myself instead of taking your word, your husband accuses me of knowing about the alleged bed bug infestation, merely because I asked “where”, then claims that he responded with “logic”...

I hire an inspector to inspect the house, and not even the eggs or poop of bed bugs are found…Turns out your husband is proven wrong…


You then pay rent late after a month of no complaints about bed bugs or anything else, and after I had to remind you repeatedly to pay rent with the late fees since you hadn’t paid, you still only paid rent, without the late fee.

Immediately after this, your husband begins sending me a list of more false accusations and demands for more pest inspections. I give you notice to move out, as I have no intention to deal with erratic and dishonest people who try to retaliate with more made up scams.

I receive a bill from the utility company for unpaid utilities. I come to serve you legal notice to comply with the terms of your lease (paying your utilities, etc.) and just merely being outside the house far away, never entering or even knocking on the door, you threaten me with your husband and demand I leave.

And you claim that I’m the problem and emotionally unstable. I will say it again, if you do not comply with the terms of the lease, I will evict you. I can come by the house to show the house to prospective tenants for my business, or serve legal notices, WITHOUT your permission, as I need to serve you legal notices to do so. Your attempts to intimidate me are felonies, because you are trying to use intimidation and extortion. The reason I avoid your emotionally unstable phone calls is to purposely document via text and email your erratic and unstable behavior. Yet somehow you claim you’re documenting, despite being the ones who always want to talk on the phone instead of email or text. The emails and texts paint a clear picture of your dishonest behavior, combined with your failure to comply with the terms of the lease, (paying rent on time, paying late fees when you pay late, paying your utilities). What is shows is two emotionally unstable people who make up accusations to retaliate for their own failures to pay their contractually obligated bills. So yes, please let’s take this to court. I would love to see your reaction to losing to the mountain of evidence of your dishonest, erratic behavior, combined with your failure to pay rent on time, pay utilities, and pay late fees.

0Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 246 posts · 183 votes
10y

This isn't going to end well.  Sorry.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 246 posts · 183 votes
    10y

    This isn't going to end well.  Sorry.

  • Rental Property Investor · Folsom, CA · Member since 2016 · 140 posts · 70 votes
    10y
    This sucks, but if you actually send something to them, do stick to facts and demands which are actionable. Sounds like you need to get litigious ASAP.
  • Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2016 · 668 posts · 209 votes
    10y

    Get them out ASAP and vent here, not at your tenant. I feel your pain but no more texts/emails. Keep it professional and get your lawyer involved, all communication through him to protect everybody's rights. Good luck.

  • Investor · Woodbridge, VA · Member since 2015 · 476 posts · 197 votes
    10y

    Also I would give proper notice and do a home inspection asap to show what condition the house is in. bring a 3rd party person with you to minimize he said she said accusations.

  • Rental Property Investor · Reno, NV · Member since 2013 · 77 posts · 31 votes
    10y
    Don't say anything else to the tenants just start the eviction process asap! Let them continue to send you nasty emails and messages and save them for court.
  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Good advice all around. Like I said this was to vent, but written as if to them. I only talk to them via email and text when I have to. They vacated last night allegedly. They also said that they showed the house to a prospective tenant because I gave them permission (again, I've never talked to them via phone and funnel all communication to text and email so I have documentation, I've never given them such permission).

    I'll be there to change the locks soon, with my body camera and a witness. Their deposit is getting dinged the fees and unpaid utilities. These deranged lunatics will likely piss and moan about that to me then too. I will enjoy laughing them out of court with all the emails showing their lies, late payments, and erratic behavior. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jennifer L.:

    This isn't going to end well.  Sorry.

    Ummm...OK.

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 246 posts · 183 votes
    10y

    @Jack B. You got really lucky if they actually vacated. I was anticipating a costly, drawn out eviction with lots of property damage based on your first post.  Congratulations.  It looks like you dodged a bullet here.

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    Make sure you can LEGALLY change the locks.

  • Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 955 votes
    10y

    Just curious, when you were screening them, did any red flags show up?

    We had to evict a tenant as well, and it's our fault for ignoring the red flags, and took pity. who knew a family with 3 happy boys could turn up to be professional tenants! Never again !

  • Sun Prairie, WI · Member since 2013 · 150 posts · 69 votes
    10y

    Yikes!  I'm glad they are out.  What a nightmare

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Chris T.:

    Just curious, when you were screening them, did any red flags show up?

    We had to evict a tenant as well, and it's our fault for ignoring the red flags, and took pity. who knew a family with 3 happy boys could turn up to be professional tenants! Never again !

     In retrospect, yes. Red flags were that they wanted to move in IMMEDIATELY, within hours of their background checks coming back, the same day of viewing, claiming they were tired of living in a hotel since moving here from Atlanta. The only thing that came back in that other than her 9K civil judgment (against her) for a car accident was the fact that the system did not have any records of residential addresses for them for the past TEN years. Only from 2006 prior. Who knows about references, I can never tell if their landlord is legit unless they rented an apartment complex, in which case I can easily verify their landlord reference is in fact a landlord.

    I went over the history of events with them and have a pretty tight case against them. The emails and texts show their lack of honesty, reading comprehension and tendency to jump to conclusions and make things up when the lease is enforced. I found a bunch of stuff left behind (wine glasses, a pool, against the terms of the lease) as well as a yard waste bin and fire pit full of trash. 

    The neighbors even thought it was odd that when they moved out, they still had no furniture. Oh, and did I mention that although I have texts of them claiming they paid all utilities, I managed to get an email from the utility company that the utilities have not been in anyone else's name for that address and account since the last vacancy date....

    I have all of the emails and texts, even screenshots that prove I sent them to voice mail when they called, so I can document. The texts and emails show two clearly erratic and emotional people, dishonest as can be. I should have know, they looked scummy...

  • Ronan M.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 352 posts · 281 votes
    10y

    Just a thought...have you been in the house since they "allegedly" showed it to prospective tenants ??   Why would they do that or even come up with that ?

    I am thinking they have trashed the place...and will claim they had moved out and it must have been the new people.  Far fetched I know...but they seem like loopy people. If they were such nut jobs why else would they claim to be trying to rent it for you ??

    I hope I am 100% wrong.

  • Rental Property Investor · Exeter, CA · Member since 2016 · 60 posts · 35 votes
    10y
    Out of curiosity, how did you do your screening? How did you advertise your listing and where did they find you? Were you satisfied with their credit score? Did you verify employment? Make sure you evict them so it appears on their record and other landlords would not suffer the same fate.
  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Bryce Wong:

    Out of curiosity, how did you do your screening? How did you advertise your listing and where did they find you? Were you satisfied with their credit score? Did you verify employment? Make sure you evict them so it appears on their record and other landlords would not suffer the same fate.

     I used tenantbackgroundsearch.com

    Other than her 9K civil judgement against her from a car accident, their credit was as white as a ghost. He had no credit at all. 

    I ONLY rent to people with 700+ credit scores from now on. NO exceptions. No credit? Not my problem.

    I can't evict them at this point since they've already abandoned the property. I'm debating giving them a brief run down of the documented facts when I send them their deposit slip so as to dissuade them from wasting anymore of my time by trying to take me to court over their non-sense.

    Inspection found no bed bugs...they pay rent late after much hounding, without the late fee I told them to pay per the lease. 

    Then her husband starts the email barrage of more demands for pest inspections an hour later, also claiming he over paid when he paid move in costs (I not only gave them change, but when I counted the money they had actually overpaid by an additional $100 and I gave it back to them and they celebrated for having such an honest landlord), their receipt reflects what they paid, not what they claim they paid after I enforce the rules...

    I get a bill from the utility company for unpaid bills and go to serve them notice to comply or vacate within 10 days. They demand I leave (I already did when they were not there at that time) and claim they paid all their bills. I have an email from the utility company that no one has transferred service out of my name since xyz date when last tenant moved out, address, acct#, etc.

    Then they show the house and claim I told them to do so....They send me a demand for a pro-rated refund that I never said in writing or otherwise, remember, I sent all of their calls to voicemail on purpose and they even call me out on it...I saved all of their texts, call logs and emails.

    They leave behind some garbage and had an unauthorized pool, which they left behind. 

    I don't know if these people are just dumb or scammers. I'm guessing both. They have very poor spelling and reading comprehension, which makes me think they are just dumb. But the fact that they misremember clear events that were notable (always in their favor), combined with the fact that they have had no rental history for ten years, and have no furniture, makes me think this is a scam they pull...

    I will let a unit sit empty or sell if I have to before I ever lower my standards again. I've also considered creating a 3 day cooling period from application date to approval, so as to make sure I think about any red flags that I might have overlooked, etc.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.