Discounted "Early Payment";defacto LATE payment PENALTY;Thoughts?

Discounted "Early Payment";defacto LATE payment PENALTY;Thoughts?

Rental Property Investor · North Conway, NH · Member since 2016 · 104 posts · 26 votes

I recall a long time (20 yrs?) ago reading a book about rentals, and how most states have made it illegal to charge a 'late payment penalty' on tenants that pay late .... 

And that the author recommended saying something like
RENT = 1300
EARLY PAYMENT DISCOUNT = 300

EARLY PAYMENT MEANS 15 DAYS before rent is due.

There for, if the tenant routinely pays the rent 15 days prior to its due date, then they get a discount ....

The other upsides are that the SECURITY DEPOSIT and LAST MONTHS rents quantity is higher.

Is anyone doing this? How many days earlier? 

0Reply
11 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    I have early payment discounts. Some (most) tenants take advantage of that and the ones that don't have been pretty good about sending in the full amount due.  If they fail to do so, I request they send it and most have been pretty good about it. My early payment discount is typically $100. As to security deposits and last months rent, that is mostly going to be determined by your market and what other landlords offer. I don't ask for the last month but I do require a substantial security deposit. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.