Investor · Denton, TX · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 7 votes
I have a question regarding knit picky tenants . I know you guys here are just the ones to answer this question.
I have some tenants who pay there rent every month on time or early. They are a family and they keep up the yard and do not cause any damage to the property. My problem is that they are wearing me out with text messages and phone calls on items that aren't a very big deal. They have never lived in a house, always an apartment.
They will call me if the fence looks like it is leaning, or if the sprinkler heads come loose or if the air flow on the a/c feels like it is more in one room and less in another or if a piece of weather stripping is loosening up on the back door.
I have two other rentals and never hear from my other tenants. Have any of you ever had to tell a tenant that their complaints are not that big a deal?
Robert
I try to ignore nonsense like this. I make them call a few times. I find these type of tenants often enjoy having a "valet". Maybe they even think they are being helpful. After you ignore them for awhile, they quit calling.
Personally, I think this is the wrong attitude to have. There are people who want to call your attention to things they feel you might want to know. At least acknowledge them with a simple "Okay, I'll look at that next time I'm out." That tells them that you heard them, and it's on your list, but you're not going to drop everything for the issue. No one likes to be ignored.
Investor · Springfield, IL · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 6 votes
10y
I personally like picky tenants. Keeps me on top of things and most of the stuff is simple to fix or a non problem. I see the downside and understand how non emergency calls get old but in my experience the tenants usually think highly of you when you address any issue and the frequency of calls typically dwindles the longer they stay. Now if the rents not coming in on time or they're tearing the place up that's a different story.
Investor · Northern, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 904 votes
10y
@Robert Newburn - I suggest that you go back to the lease and see how the lease is written. I always have $100 deductible in my lease, and when they move in, I do a walk through. They have 15 days after the walk through to let me know if there are any issues with the property. Little things like this which can be caused due to regular wear and tear of living in the property is upto them to fix. If there is any major issue, I will come and fix it. Trust me, when they have to fix some of the things themselves, you will really only hear from them if there is a real issue with the property.
Also, you need to understand what you are allowed to do and what you are not based on the state laws in your state. VA laws are very landlord friendly.
Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
10y
It's positive that they want your property to look and perform its best. The negative of course is that all the communication is wearing you out.
Why not compromise? If something is not an emergency, then have them write it on a list and send the list to you once a month with their rent payment. Then you can maybe have someone out there once a month to take care of little issues all at once instead of here and there.
And if the little issues keep coming up, why is that? You say they are not damaging the property, but then why do things keep breaking? Is it deferred maintenance? If so, perhaps go through and take care of things that are older at the same time as the repairs.
Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 286 posts · 159 votes
10y
I try to ignore nonsense like this. I make them call a few times. I find these type of tenants often enjoy having a "valet". Maybe they even think they are being helpful. After you ignore them for awhile, they quit calling.
I have/do have tenants like that and I always answer them the same way, I'll take a look next time I am out, unless it's actually important. I never make a special trip and it could be weeks or a month before I get out.
Tell them to only contact you through text, texts are easier to deal with and ignore.
I try to ignore nonsense like this. I make them call a few times. I find these type of tenants often enjoy having a "valet". Maybe they even think they are being helpful. After you ignore them for awhile, they quit calling.
Personally, I think this is the wrong attitude to have. There are people who want to call your attention to things they feel you might want to know. At least acknowledge them with a simple "Okay, I'll look at that next time I'm out." That tells them that you heard them, and it's on your list, but you're not going to drop everything for the issue. No one likes to be ignored.
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
10y
It depends on the issue. Once you recognize a complainer you need to set limits but be careful about what you set limits on. I would say please call me immediately for xyz. Please save minor or cosmetic issues and send them in with your rent and I will take a look at them (give examples). After that if they are texting you for minor issues then ignore them. I had one tenant where everything was a crisis and not responding to calls and texts at 7am on a Sunday morning was just required once I found that out. Responding was aggravating to me because it was so frequent. Another I had to have them tell me the issue before I called them back that was more an issue of teaching them communication skills. In both cases you need to make sure you don't miss critical issues due to noise.
Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 286 posts · 159 votes
10y
People, read the original problem. The op is having problems with nuisance complaints. Nobody is suggesting ignoring real problems. Sprinkler head is loose or ice cubes aren't made quickly enough. I think ignoring these things are the right thing. Gives the tenant and opportunity to live a real life instead of spending all kinds of energy on me.
Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10y
We do exactly what @Thomas S. does. They feel good because you are acknowledging their inquiry and you address the minor issues the next time you are out at the property for a more serious issue.
Often times tenants don't even remember complaining about minor issues when you finally address them.
Investor · Huntingtown, MD · Member since 2016 · 97 posts · 41 votes
10y
I have a tenant like this now I'm deciding how to deal with. She pays on time and doesn't trash the place, but WEARS my property manager out. She called him over to change a light bulb one time. I'm going go have a chat with her next time I am in town and explain things like that are for her to deal with. If a pipe is clogged or the heat is not working, PLEASE call the property manager. But don't call him to change a light bulb!!!
Investor · Cathedral City, CA · Member since 2014 · 481 posts · 170 votes
10y
Your lease should cover the maintenance responsibilities of the Landlord and the Tenant. A clogged drain is not a Landlords responsibility. Nor is the electric garage door remote. Anything over $90-$120 should be a Landlord responsibility. Your lease should clarify these divisions.
I have a question regarding knit picky tenants . I know you guys here are just the ones to answer this question.
I have some tenants who pay there rent every month on time or early. They are a family and they keep up the yard and do not cause any damage to the property. My problem is that they are wearing me out with text messages and phone calls on items that aren't a very big deal. They have never lived in a house, always an apartment.
They will call me if the fence looks like it is leaning, or if the sprinkler heads come loose or if the air flow on the a/c feels like it is more in one room and less in another or if a piece of weather stripping is loosening up on the back door.
I have two other rentals and never hear from my other tenants. Have any of you ever had to tell a tenant that their complaints are not that big a deal?
Robert
Your tenants have you trained like Pavlov's dogs, you need to break the cycle and turn the tables back around and the training comes from you not them.
First off you need to limit their method of contact. Establish a method of contact to you. It can be email, a form filled out on your website, a phone call or text. But not all of the above. Train your tenants. You should segregate your contacts methods to you one for routine issues (the door is squeeking) (email, form filled out) one for emergencies (the toilet is flooding the house) (phone call/text)
Secondly you must delay gratification except in the case of an emergency. You should have training in your lease or at the very least explain to them now that non-emergency requests are responded to with 72 hours of submittal. Respond does not me addressed, only acknowledge. Once your tenants figure out there is not instant gratification that when they submit something to you it takes 3 days for a response and then it may take 2-4 weeks to address the non emergency item they will automatically start self-limiting their contacts with you, their personal 'emergencies' will get second thoughts and ultimately likely not be contacting you about them because you have stopped the instant gratifications.
Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
10y
I like @Dawn Anastasi's approach. It's service oriented and treats the tenant's with respect, while also setting appropriate boundaries. In addition, since the tenants are not accustomed to living in a house, I would spend some extra time up front with tenant education about how renting a house differs from renting an apartment. Help ease their fears and enlighten them. As @Judah Johnson mentioned, most tenant calls will dwindle once they have settled into place and learn what they need to learn.
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
10y
@Dawn Anastasi is correct that you always want to acknowledge and look at all issues. Even if you choose to do nothing, do not ignore requests. A couple posts suggested ignoring, but that is a lazy landlord approach and it is a poor way to run a business. Never ignore a tenant, but that doesn't mean you drop everything to attend to non-emergency issues.
I am not a fan of having your tenants fix things under say $100. I know some landlords do that, but it is trouble having tenants doing repairs. Changing air filters, light bulbs and batteries is fine but you don't want inexperienced people trying to fix things because they can make it worse.
One thing that may help is having a conversation with them about the situation. Just explain that as a house ages, it is not going to be perfect. Tell them you want to stay on top of major problems, but minor things should be reviewed every few months. For example, twice per year. Just have them keep a list.
I have had tenants that call regularly and tenants that never call. Guess who cares more about keeping up the condition of the property? My point is just because you never hear from the tenant doesn't mean everything is in great condition. Good luck @Robert Newburn