The right thermostat when you are paying for heat?

The right thermostat when you are paying for heat?

Contractor · new paltz, NY · Member since 2013 · 104 posts · 13 votes
College housing. They crank it up over 70 and then open the windows. Paid $5000 in heat last year in one house that well insulated. Thinking about a "nest". A way to remotely control the thermostat or take away their access. Any thoughts any help?
0Reply
19 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    10y

    Have them put the utilities in their own name

  • Investor · Los Osos, CA · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    There are a couple choices.  In a duplex I once managed I installed a programmable thermostat for my tenant and trusted them enough to use it, and they did, and we were all happy.

    If I didnt trust them as much, I may have gone with this one:

    http://www.landlordstat.com/product/hc71sb-auto-se...


    I would also send them a letter with the actual data, and show them how much the rent will increase if usage is not controlled.  This worked for me when I had a tenant in the same duplex who began collecting fishtanks where I paid both water and electrical.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.