Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 306 posts · 211 votes
Hello All,
Was searching online but haven't seen a recent thread/post in a while on this and since these services change often would love to hear what you use when screening tenants. Ideal features:
Credit report (preferably of an actual credit bureau)
Criminal check
Eviction check
Option for me to fill in the tenant's data myself (many residents around this area are more comfortable with paper / phone than using the internet.)
Preferably $35 or less (so I'm not charging potential residents an arm and a leg)
Services I've heard of but have yet to try:
Cozy.co <-- No ability for me to enter the tenant's data
Houserie <-- This one seems promising. Do people trust this?
On-site.com <-- Referred by a local but $40 for everything these days.
Transunion / Experian service <-- Seems to require tenants to fill out form
Many thanks in advance for any advice in this realm!
Rental Property Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 876 votes
10y
Apparently the one I use is obscure, MrLandlord.com. I've used them for over a decade and been perfectly happy. Here's a cut and paste from their site. Only catch is that I had to pay for a office site inspection to show I had a locked file and a shredder. But the $15 is cheap enough that I don't usually charge an applicant, I figure it's just part of the turnover cost.
Best Deal - Complete TransUnion Credit, Eviction and Criminal Combo ......................$24.95 per applicant 1. TransUnion Credit Report w/ FICO Score 2. Two National Eviction Reports Includes: Sex Offender, Terrorist, Most Wanted Criminal 3. Instant National Criminal Search. Instant search is not available for the following states: WY, SD, MA and DE.
Good Deal - Essential TransUnion Credit & Eviction Combo .........................................$14.95 per applicant 1. TransUnion Credit Report w/ FICO score 2. Two National Eviction Reports Includes: Sex Offender, Terrorist, Most Wanted Criminal
@JD Martin I overstated "fatal". It's probably a fantastic system, but I don't want to force tenants to use the internet to apply as I myself have been directed to "apply online" and gotten distracted and never did each time I've been sent to online forms. In my region, people seem to prefer paper over email.
Have you used them before?
I have, lots of times and I like them. I wasn't sure what I was missing, but I don't consider being forced online a flaw - if my tenants aren't savvy enough to apply online, they probably aren't savvy enough to look at our listing, pay electronically, communicate by text, etc. I always make paper applications available, and sometimes they are returned, then I just enter the info in myself. But most everyone prefers applying online that I deal with.
I agree with this. If they are not able to apply online because they forgot or got distracted i dont want them anyway. What will happen when it comes time to pay the rent online? I filter most of my inquiries by directing them to my website and look at our rental qualification sheet and then make them fill out our app and send back to me. This cuts out 80% of all the calls i get.
Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 1 vote
10y
Disclaimer: I work for Renticity.
At Renticity we package our tenant screening with other connected services having to do with the leasing process. You can set up a property page (similar to a listing) and send renters there to apply. The application/screening report are tied into our E-Leasing system where you can upload your lease and draft it using drag-and-drop fields for custom information, initial boxes, and signatures.
The entire platform is free for landlords and costs $39 for the renters.
Was searching online but haven't seen a recent thread/post in a while on this and since these services change often would love to hear what you use when screening tenants. Ideal features:
Credit report (preferably of an actual credit bureau)
Criminal check
Eviction check
Option for me to fill in the tenant's data myself (many residents around this area are more comfortable with paper / phone than using the internet.)
Preferably $35 or less (so I'm not charging potential residents an arm and a leg)
Services I've heard of but have yet to try:
Cozy.co <-- No ability for me to enter the tenant's data
Houserie <-- This one seems promising. Do people trust this?
On-site.com <-- Referred by a local but $40 for everything these days.
Transunion / Experian service <-- Seems to require tenants to fill out form
Many thanks in advance for any advice in this realm!
Alice
Let me comment on this:"
Option for me to fill in the tenant's data myself (many residents around this area are more comfortable with paper / phone than using the internet.)
"
Few services provide for this interaction as they need a signature from the applicant before the credit is checked to fulfill FCRA laws.
Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 306 posts · 211 votes
10y
@Jeff Gates - This is correct, luckily there are a handful left. Looks like Houserie doesn't give me the actual report, just a watered down "yes" / "no" recommendation with some details. The others I've heard of do require they come on site to assure I have a safe place to store the data.
@David Chwaszczewski When/if I get more doors, I will likely do something like that as well as far as directing them to rental qualifications.
@Michael Welly So, I just signed up for this to give it a shot. Must say, beautiful UI. Only question is (you may want to share with your UX team / product manager) maybe you could list the pricing right on the front. I would be willing to pitch in with the renter (as $39 for my market is psychologically $4 more than the norm).
Few services provide for this interaction as they need a signature from the applicant before the credit is checked to fulfill FCRA laws.
MrLandlord.com operates this way, I have SS, DOB & permission sig fields on my application and fill it in on ML myself. I get full reports, including FICO and credit histories.