Tenants causing MY family drama!

Tenants causing MY family drama!

Property Manager · Grovetown, GA · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 5 votes

This is going to be long and complicated, and I hope I can go into depth without causing confusion.

My dad passed away last April and left me his home. I rented it to an older couple that I've known since I was in elementary school-- I'm 25 now. They knew my dad, we all went on vacations together, I grew up with their kids.. it sounded like a great fit. They've been in there since September 1st, 2015. It was going good until the husband starting working with my grandfather. My grandfather owns a construction company and needed help. My tenants are constantly asking for rides, small loans, money, food. This has my grandmother super upset, and when she brings it up to my grandfather, he actually started to yell at her! My grandparents are in their late 80's, and never have I witnessed them upset with each other. My grandma is done with it all and I'm afraid that all of this stress is going to hurt her. My tenants have a few lease violations since January (making cosmetic changes without permission; pets), is it too late to use these to evict them? I just learned of the fights between my grandparents today. Also, I have asked my tenants to no longer communicate/work with my grandfather any more. My entire family has had enough with them taking advantage of my grandfather and the stress that it's putting on my grandma. My tenants shouldn't be causing anyone stress except me. What can I do? My home is located in South Carolina and I have a standard SC residential lease. 

0Reply
101 views

Most Popular Reply

Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y

As a policy;

  • never rent to close friends
  • nor employees

It WILL become divisive and you will injure the relationship

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Newberg, OR · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    When you say they are on a lease- does that mean they are on something like a year long lease or are they on a month to month agreement?

  • Property Manager · Grovetown, GA · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    They have a one year lease. 

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    What does their tenancy with you have to do with their work-relationship with your grandfather?

    Advise Grandpa to fire them and find someone else, and maintain your otherwise good/paying tenant.

    Or move to evict them over their lease violations.... But how would that help the situation with your grandparents?

  • Property Manager · Grovetown, GA · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    my grandfather won't fire him. He's super religious and believes in helping people but it has apparently gone too far but he doesn't see that. He's 84. He's being taken advantage of. They ask him for loans to pay ME rent! My house is located next door to my grandparents, which is obviously a problem. I've tried evicting them before for the same violations plus a bunch of money they owed me. They paid the overdue money so I let them stay as long as they didn't make anymore repairs without asking me first. I just wasn't sure if I could use the cosmetic violations again for eviction purposes.

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    As a policy;

    • never rent to close friends
    • nor employees

    It WILL become divisive and you will injure the relationship

  • Property Manager · Grovetown, GA · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Thanks. I realize that now. 🙂 

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y

    Nothing you do with  the tenants will have any effect on their relationship with your grandparents. The issue is not that they are tenants it's the employment that is the problem.

    Hate to say it but if you can't stop them from bothering your grand parents they will have to fix it themselves.

    It's too bad toy grandfathers religious beliefs force him to be taken advantage of.

  • Property Manager · Grovetown, GA · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    I understand I can't terminate their lease because of this mess but can I evict them with the previous violations that they have done, that I have once tried to evict them of? The first notice was for cosmetic violations and almost $1000 of unpaid rent and fees. I'm unsure because I told them they could stay as long as they didn't do it again 

  • VA · Member since 2012 · 37 posts · 22 votes
    10y

    Have you served them Violation Notices for the Breach's they've committed (this time around)? What do the Tenant / Landlord Laws in SC imply regarding evictions due to Breach of Lease? 

    I don't know anything about the Tenant / Landlord laws in SC, however, it is likely that you must give them X number of days to remedy the Breach, after proper notice has been served to them, before you can persue the eviction on grounds of a Breach if it has not been remedied. At least it is that way in VA.

    This is precisely the reason went strictly to M-M Leases with my rentals. If I have an issue with a tenant and want to get rid of them, all I have to do is give proper notice that their M-M Lease will not be renewed.

    That's no guarantee that they'll leave willingly and not have to still be evicted, but it gives me much more control over my property. The problem I with Yearly Leases is if I try to evict a tenant, say due to continually playing loud music for instance , I go to court and the judge is sympathetic towards the tenant and asks me if the problem is remedied. I tell him well, I haven't had anymore complaints about it since the last violation, Judge says let them stay. Five minutes after they get home from court the music is blasting again, so you have a whole year (or whatever term is remaining on the lease) of playing cat & mouse with a nuisance tenant.

    I don't worry about locking rents in for a year on a yearly Lease, I'd much rather have the flexibility of sending a problem tenant down the road, Pronto, if necessary.

    Bill 

  • Real Estate Agent · Buena Park, CA · Member since 2016 · 743 posts · 424 votes
    10y
    Bribe them,pure and simple.How much cash do you have to give these moochers and losers to leave quickly and quietly?It will be expensive but cheaper then having months of no rent payments and legal bills to pay evicting these losers.
  • Chapin, SC · Member since 2013 · 73 posts · 19 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Sadye S.:

    my grandfather won't fire him. He's super religious and believes in helping people but it has apparently gone too far but he doesn't see that. He's 84. He's being taken advantage of. They ask him for loans to pay ME rent! My house is located next door to my grandparents, which is obviously a problem. I've tried evicting them before for the same violations plus a bunch of money they owed me. They paid the overdue money so I let them stay as long as they didn't make anymore repairs without asking me first. I just wasn't sure if I could use the cosmetic violations again for eviction purposes.

     Hey Sadye,

    Hope things get better for you. Since grandpa is tenant's employer you are relying on grandpa for your rent. I do not think you want to ask grandpa to feel obligate there. Your tenant is as good as the employment he has. Working for Grandpa may pay better than Walmart but still very unstable.  Not sure how it works in GA but every lease is as strong as its wording and as effective as whatever process you take to initiate a writ to eject. Write a letter outlining the cosmetic violations, referred to lease Page and item number. (IF IT IS IN YOUR LEASE). My lease agreement clearly states that any alteration in any form to property must first be requested in writing FIRST and I must approve back in writing before any work is done.....Otherwise......you get the picture.  I would  send certified letter to address in case you need to bring to magistrate as evidence. Good Luck and follow up to BP community so others may learn and grow.

  • Rocklin, CA · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 66 votes
    10y

    Evict for the pets not the cosmetic changes.

  • Property Manager · Grovetown, GA · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Is evicting for cosmetic changes out of the question since I let them stay last time?

  • VA · Member since 2012 · 37 posts · 22 votes
    10y

    @Sadye S. It is quite possible a Judge may rule in their favor for the cosmetic changes and allow them to stay, seeing as how you let them get away with it in the past.

    Does your Lease specify no pets? If so, I'd try evicting them for the pets instead, as @Stephen Haynes suggested. People get VERY attached to their pets, and most times, when push comes to shove, they'll leave with their pet instead of getting rid of it. Of course that doesn't mean they won't still fight you along the way, but hopefully not.

    Hope it works out in your favor and let us know if you have any more questions.

    Bill

  • Missy H.Pro Member
    Investor · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 121 votes
    10y

    @Sadye S.

    I would suggest to not get involved in the relationship between your tenants and your grandparents.  I know that it will be hard, but pretend that it was another one of your grandfather's employees.  Would you get involved?  

    In regards to your tenants' actions, have a conversation with them and point out the lease violations that you have observed.  Explain that they need to correct these violations immediately and document it.  You may want to have a lawyer draft this letter to make them take you more seriously.

    Family and business don't mix so keep the two separate.

    Good luck!

  • Zach KiddPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 148 votes
    10y

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a one-year lease, and they signed on about 11 months ago?

    Call a Real Estate Agent. Give them a simple heads up that you need their help, and you'll take them out for a steak. Ask for them to meet you on the property. Talk for only a few minutes, be seen doing it, but don't linger long enough to draw the tenants out. Go buy them that steak lunch.

    Then simply don't renew their lease. Sorry, time for you to leave, we intend to sell the property. 

    Don't lead with the offer, but there is also the cash-for-keys strategy. 

    Let them bring it up. If you're not renewing their lease, I bet dollars to donuts that they will ask for cash anyways. 

    Say you would consider a reasonable amount, perhaps a half-month's rent seems fair for both of you, but only after they have moved out. 

    Put it in writing, then follow through. 

  • Property Manager · Grovetown, GA · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    thanks zach! they've only been in for about six months though. The cash for keys idea sounds like a neat idea. If they refuse, could I get in hot water? 

  • VA · Member since 2012 · 37 posts · 22 votes
    10y

    @Zach Kidd I understood the OP to read that her Dad passed away in April (11 months ago), but the tenants began their yearly Lease  Sept. 1, 2015, so she'll likely have to deal with them until Aug. 31, 2016 if she wants to just ride the lease out . 

  • Zach KiddPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 148 votes
    10y

    @William C. - thanks, good catch. Too many days with too little sleep. 

    @Sadye S. - I'm not an attorney, etc., etc.  I'd do a quick search on BP to confirm, but I know it's a widespread topic, and I've never heard of anyone getting into legal hot water with cash-for-keys.

    Just don't let it drag out. It's a quick and clean technique, keep it that way.  Those tenants seem to like milking anything possible. 

    I would also recheck the lease, line by line. See what your legal options are. You may have to ride out the lease term. 

    Beyond that, you (and your family) need a buffer (or several).  Someone to intermediate. You are all too close to the situation. Buffers can be hardliners without any worries about hurting feelings.

    For you & the lease, the logical conclusion would be either a property manager or an attorney.  Financially, you'll come out ahead with either. You will probably be okay with a property manager. Hire an attorney too, just in case. Cheaper before there is a (major) problem.  If the tenant refuses to leave even after the lease is over, that attorney will be invaluable. 

    Keep your grandparents in the loop as much as legally possible. Your grandfather should also consider installing a buffer, such as an interim business manager while he is out of town for medical reasons (vacation to a cabin for a couple of days). Something along those lines. 

    I'm sure you'll be fine. You just need to realize that it's okay to put your foot down and say that you've hit your limit.

    Givers need to set limits, because takers never will.

    You got this.

  • Property Manager · Grovetown, GA · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Thank you so much! It's just overwhelming when I'm constantly being informed that my tenants are causing drama within my whole family. 😳 They're somewhat decent people, but I have to look out for my grandmas health and sanity especially since they are neighbors! Hopefully the cash for keys option will work out so I can have my house and happy family back. Thank you! 

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2015 · 57 posts · 10 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Sadye S.:

    Thank you so much! It's just overwhelming.

    Sadye I wish you the best of luck ! Let us know how it goes!

    P.s  If you decide you'd like to get rid of you're problem tenants feel free to PM me. My partners and I can solve you're problem and close on the day of you're choice (:

  • Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2013 · 59 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    If cash for keys works how does this fix the drama? The tenant would still be going after your grandfather for a job and handouts. From what you have written, it sounds like they only have SIX months to go on the lease. If this is correct I would notify them of every violation and not renew their lease at the end of the remaining six months. If you filed for eviction now best case scenario you 30 days from having them out (more realistically 60-90 days) plus legal cost. This sounds like a tough spot and I sympathize. Best of luck getting it resolved.

  • Specialist · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Zach Kidd had a pretty good idea. 

    On the other side, if you actually wanted to keep the property, get it under management NOW. Hire a PM and tell grandpa that the stress caused by being the landlord and watching him hurt his family for the "greater good" is too much.

    Make sure your manager knows up front the scenario so they are ready to serve/evict right away when they are late again. You may have screwed it up and set a trend, but new management will happily do their job :)

    Grandpa may get hit up again for loans, but it won't be for long. Save the payments the tenants make with his money and then pay him back once they're gone. Or give it to grandma so she can pay the bills grandpa can't anymore.

  • Zach KiddPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 148 votes
    10y

    @Bryan O. LOL! Thanks!

    Just to be clear, in my first post I used "weasel words". I should have emphasized them. 

    We INTEND to sell the property, (but that doesn't mean you are committed to selling).

    After they leave, you are under no obligation to actually sell. 

    It's a trick that politicians use all the time that should work very well in this situation.

  • Property Manager · Grovetown, GA · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Thank you everyone for your input. I'm going to try @Zach Kidd's idea of cash for keys, and I've also contacted a realtor to possibly get a management service going if C4K doesn't work. Thank you all!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.