Bugs get in the house during lease. Does landlord pay or tenant?

Bugs get in the house during lease. Does landlord pay or tenant?

Flipper/Rehabber · Carrollton, TX · Member since 2013 · 165 posts · 71 votes

My tenants were signing the lease today and they are moving in March 4th, 2016.  When I was going over tenant responsibilities etc.  We came to the part of pest control, etc and one of the tenants said if its her fault due to rats, bugs, etc, that they would pay for it.  But she said, "If the neighbors spray their house and the bugs end up coming over to my house, then landlord pays, right?"  

I was kinda taken back and didn't know how to respond.  "I told her I would would discuss it with some other people and Ill get back to you on that."  You guys reading this are the "other people" :).  Can I get some advice on how to respond or handle this situation?  How do you even track if it came from another property?  I dont think pest problems arent always necessarily anyones fault, its just natural that bugs can get in.  Please let me know how I should respond to this situation if it ever does arise.  Thank you. 

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · East Amherst, NY · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 18 votes
10y

Tell them it's there responsibility since you cant prove where bugs originate.  from, take it or leave it. and if it's not acceptable you'll let them out of there lease. I allways tell people renting a house from me is kind of like leasing a car in that you need to wash it and keep it clean I know that's a generality but they get the idea. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    what is in your lease? I've read that in single families tenants are typically liable for pests but multifamily, landlord is.

  • Investor · East Amherst, NY · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    Tell them it's there responsibility since you cant prove where bugs originate.  from, take it or leave it. and if it's not acceptable you'll let them out of there lease. I allways tell people renting a house from me is kind of like leasing a car in that you need to wash it and keep it clean I know that's a generality but they get the idea. 

  • Ormond Beach , FL · Member since 2015 · 345 posts · 223 votes
    10y

    We provide pest control quarterly. It costs $77 and I know that my houses are pest free and tenants don't need to worry about all of the Florida bugs. I feel it's a small price to pay, but that's just me...

  • Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 110 posts · 38 votes
    10y

    Agreed,

    If you value this tenant and they are good tenants I would do what I can to keep them. Why would you want to go through a turnover situation unnecessarily?

    Here in Florida it's cheap to have the bug guy come out and spray.

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    I had a tenant bring boxes from a storage unit (HINT; the origin point) into my unit and I just happened to see them scampering in the garage from her newly placed boxes.  I commented and she tried to blame they on the apartment.

    "Until you arrived, I've never had an issue in the last 8yrs.  I'll take care of it but bill you for the exterminator service until the situation is resolved."

  • Real Estate Agent · Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 408 posts · 90 votes
    10y

    I would just make it the tenants responsibility. Bugs,rats etc develop a habitat due to a suitable environment and sources of food, not location. If your neighbors house was infested either yours already would be or is not at risk.

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2013 · 27 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Unless there is a clause in the lease, placing the responsibility of pest control on the tenant, landlord is responsible. But, as was pointed out earlier, the SFH scenario is easy to place blame but for a multifamily, it gets complicated so generally its hte landlord's responsibility or fees is divided equally among tenants for the pest control

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.