Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jack B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Do you provide a lawnmower for your single family rentals?

Jack B.
  • Seattle, WA
Posted Feb 7 2016, 12:33

I've gone both ways. In one case the lawnmower broke (pull handle) with the first tenant and in another, they bought a push mower, that...get's the job done.

I'm debating on whether I want to have yet another appliance to maintain by providing a lawnmower, but at the same time, I feel it is unreasonable to expect tenants to buy a lawnmower as renters. 

Yet another reason to transition to multifamily...

User Stats

Votes
Kyle Blake
  • Fort Collins, CO
Votes |
  • Fort Collins, CO
Replied Feb 7 2016, 13:00

Up here it's standard for the tenant to supply the mower and not the landlord. It may vary by area, but I think if anything it lessens some responsibility if they provide their own. Last thing you want is for them to lose a hand with a defective mower you provided. 

User Stats

Votes
Ned Carey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
ModeratorReplied Feb 7 2016, 13:14

I have never even considered offering a lawnmower.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Randy E.
  • Durham, NC
Votes |
  • Durham, NC
Replied Feb 7 2016, 13:24
Originally posted by @Jack B.:

I've gone both ways. In one case the lawnmower broke (pull handle) with the first tenant and in another, they bought a push mower, that...get's the job done.

I'm debating on whether I want to have yet another appliance to maintain by providing a lawnmower, but at the same time, I feel it is unreasonable to expect tenants to buy a lawnmower as renters. 

Yet another reason to transition to multifamily...

I have never provided a mower for my SFRs.  Never even considered it for one second.

User Stats

Votes
Jack B.
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Feb 7 2016, 13:24

Right? I wouldn't supply a vaccum and mop either, so why a lawnmower?

User Stats

Votes
George Roxby
  • Part time Investor
  • Middletown, NJ
Votes |
  • Part time Investor
  • Middletown, NJ
Replied Feb 7 2016, 13:28

In my lease that they are responsible for yard maintenance. Not my problem.

User Stats

Votes
Zana Blue
  • Investor
  • Saint Augustine, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Saint Augustine, FL
Replied Feb 7 2016, 13:32

I do not include a lawn mower...is there any way that you can include lawn service in the rent...I'm thinking of trying that but might have to raise rent too much to make that work...

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan G.
  • Investor
  • Marietta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Marietta, GA
Replied Feb 7 2016, 13:36

I would not supply a mower under any condition.  

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Lender
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
Professional Services
  • Lender
Replied Feb 7 2016, 13:41

@Jack B.  I don't think you would want that liability.. missing diget or toe because of miss use and you provided the lawnmower I can see this being an issue. 

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs
Professional Services
  • Lender
Votes |
Professional Services
  • Lender
Replied Feb 7 2016, 13:43

@Jack B.  I would and have just provided a lawn service.. in PDX you can get a basic cut and clean for 100 a month.. that's once a week.  if you have a nice landscaped single family I think its worth it to maintain that yard.. plus your house does not look like a rental.

But then again I am not really worried about if I make 100 a month more or less on a rental on a west coast asset the cash flow is insignificant to the appreciation I would expect over the years so I want that place looking great.. and in practice you could probably charge a little more...

User Stats

Votes
James DeRoest
  • Investor
  • Century, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Century, FL
Replied Feb 7 2016, 13:50

Tenants do the mowing.

Unless, they can't for whatever reason and then they call us and it'll be put in the rotation. If I have my handyman with me, between me and him, we can mow something like 10 yards a day easy. We probably spend more time driving to each house than actually mowing.

Heres the thing, I'm a very hands-on landlord, it gives me an excuse to go onto the property, wander round the yard and check on anything I can check from outside the house (like leaks under the house etc). Not to mention how tenants are keeping the house.

User Stats

Votes
Eugene Kemp
  • Ormond Beach , FL
Votes |
  • Ormond Beach , FL
Replied Feb 7 2016, 15:10

I'm in the "never even considered it" camp. I rented in my younger days and would not have expected my landlord to do so either. But then I am from a different generation.....

User Stats

Votes
Pat L.
  • Upstate, NY
Votes |
  • Upstate, NY
Replied Feb 7 2016, 15:15

we have a tenant couple from the middle east who asked if we would allow goats !!!

& we get 4 dozen brown (Organic) eggs every couple of weeks from their chickens & their BBQ dishes are just amazing  :)

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Gail K.
  • Augusta, GA
Votes |
  • Augusta, GA
Replied Feb 7 2016, 16:26

I did this with three tenants...

1. When the first one moved out I found they lost the screws to the gas tank so it was just hanging on the side of the mower.

2.  The second one disappeared with the tenant.

3.   The third one had all the rubber parts chewed off by the tenants dog and the pull cord pulled out.

Now I tell tenants in this area that many times guys come around on Saturdays pushing mowers and will mow their grass for $10 or a six pack of beer (it's that kind of neighborhood).

Gail

User Stats

Votes
Bob Collett
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Brecksville, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Brecksville, OH
Replied Feb 7 2016, 16:33

On this subject I would love to hear an attorney chime in as to liability. Even though we all cut the grass as kids, I know that the lawnmower is one of the most dangerous tools in the garage; and I know of at least one friend missing a finger as a result of a bad experience with a lawn mower as an adult.

Does my exposure change if I provide a lawn mower, or if the tenant buys their own? What would happen in the case of a serious tenant injury?

User Stats

Votes
James DeRoest
  • Investor
  • Century, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Century, FL
Replied Feb 7 2016, 17:13
Originally posted by @Bob Collett:

On this subject I would love to hear an attorney chime in as to liability. Even though we all cut the grass as kids, I know that the lawnmower is one of the most dangerous tools in the garage; and I know of at least one friend missing a finger as a result of a bad experience with a lawn mower as an adult.

Does my exposure change if I provide a lawn mower, or if the tenant buys their own? What would happen in the case of a serious tenant injury?

I'm not a lawyer but I can pass on one piece advice told to me by my lawyer 20 years ago: you can be sued by anyone for anything. So yes, a mower is a liability.

Anyway, how do you mow your finger?

User Stats

Votes
Bob Collett
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Brecksville, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Brecksville, OH
Replied Feb 7 2016, 17:37

@james deroest

James, Thanks for the input. I know one can sue over anything.  I was hoping someone could cite specific case law. I know many leases (including my own) require the tenant to cut the lawn and provide their own lawn mower.

How? Its more common than you would imagine. The mower gets clogged, and you reach down to pull out the clumps of grass without shutting off the mower. Oops. Complacency... like experienced pilots trying to land an airplane and forgetting to put down the landing gears.  Or commercial printers rigging the paper cutter safety switch to free up one hand so they can work a bit faster.

User Stats

Votes
Phil Teague
  • Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Feb 8 2016, 13:27

I have it in the lease that the tenants maintain the yard for my single family homes.