What would cause this damage to the door trim?

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 651 posts · 510 votes
10y
See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Frederick, MD · Member since 2015 · 654 posts · 256 votes
    10y

    Curious, what did they say caused the damage?

    Was the door itself damaged?  Unlikely that a dog has enough finesse to limit the damage to just the jamb and casing... the wall appears to be untouched and the door, if a dog was trying to get in, equates to the door being closed.  If unscathed, then I'd rule out dog.

    A cat however... 

    Lots of carpet... love the toilet seat cover... surely, there is pet hair to be found if pets have been there (Dustbuster anyone?).

    And as a few other posters said, perhaps it's in the technicality of "lived" vs. visited.

    Pretty sure Gnomes do this kind of damage too... those pesky rascals!

  • Steven S.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Bergen County, NJ · Member since 2014 · 44 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    Hmmmm.... it looks like a small dog scratched it up to me.

    But wait... is that a pink cat toy (ball attached to short string) in the right side of frame?  Look at the shadow, too....

    Just sayin'.  

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    10y

    Ah it's the rodent infestation ... 

    Ask the neighbors if there have been any animals in there - one of them will probably spill it. 

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    I'd say if they won't just admit it's a pet, don't try to play detective. That's not really your job. 

    Regardless what species damaged the door, the tenants must pay for the repair.

    Is there other damage throughout the unit?

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2015 · 109 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    Definitely a cat. A dog would have caused more damage if they were intending to do so.

  • Logan AllecBusiness Member
    OP
    Accountant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 980 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed@Rob Young@Remmy Vernon@Joleen Perry@Arlen Chou@Dawn Anastasi@Ryan Lackey@Mary lou L.@Gary Kimura@Brad M.@Steven S.@Jeremy Dolan, spot on!  See below.

    @Karmen Kiler, see below.

    @Brian Karlow@Maggie Tasseron, there was no casing there when I purchased the property.

    @Dana Whicker@George P. LOL

    @Carlos Enriquez, interesting point, but there is nothing that I would imagine could cause moisture damage above the door frame. This is a one-story house.

    @Colleen F., you're right, now's not the time for Mr. Nice Guy.

    @K. marie P., definitely agree about searching for other pet damage. I have never dealt with pet damage before because I’ve never owned pets, nor have I ever allowed pets in rentals (except for a tortoise who lived outdoors). Are there any good resources you know of for scoping out pet damage? I personally don’t smell any urine scent. Also, the property is in Kern County, CA. Interesting tip about the casing.

    @Edward Hamill, @Mary B., yup, spot on! One of the tenants would “watch” his girlfriend’s pets (dog and two cats) while she was away...but of course they didn’t “live” there...smh. But of course he didn’t lie to me because, and I quote, “They didn’t live here! You don’t say that kids who go to daycare live there, do you?” Conceded, but still deceptive.

    @Viviana Rueda, interesting point about the scratches on the interior of the door frame. That’s still a mystery.

    @Account Closed, no other damage that I can see. But yes, the tenants have agreed that they will do repairs, and if it’s not satisfactory, they will pay for an entirely new trim.

    Clarita CPA Group516 Reviews
  • Professional · Nokomis, FL · Member since 2013 · 123 posts · 99 votes
    10y

    What do I win... What do I win?

  • Realtor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 693 posts · 357 votes
    10y

    Aliens

  • Real Estate Agent · Largo, FL · Member since 2015 · 47 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    dog or cat for sure. Would bet my life on it.

  • Real Estate Agent · Largo, FL · Member since 2015 · 47 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    whoops, sorry missed the reply where they fessed up. Sorry. Guess I get away with keeping my life at least.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.