Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sam Leon
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
Special markers to write on dark plastic trash carts?

Sam Leon
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posted

I am wondering, do they make special bold permanent markers that can write on dark colored plastics that can survive the hot and humid weather in South Florida?

Specifically, something like a Sharpie like pen, with a tip at least 1/4" thick, that can write on dark green, dark blue and black trash carts?

The problem is I have two rental properties on the same street in Fort Lauderdale, dead end streets because one side of it are all river front properties with 75' sailboats etc...I am on the other side, the dry side LOL.

So each property has black carts for garbage, green carts for yard waste, and blue carts for mixed recycle waste.  Problem is right across from my properties, are these huge river front compounds, and the owners are rarely there, they do have servants living in smaller quarters, and they have hired help to come by to take out trash carts and retrieve them on trash days.

My tenants complained about lost carts every other week.  After talking to some of them I know what's happening.

Being a dead end street, the waste trucks back into the street, then the driver - in order to minimize work, pulls the carts from 3, 4, 5 properties to the side of the truck, hit the button to have the lift empties the cart one by one, and when it's done, he drives off. Leaving 6, 7, 8 carts in the middle of the dead end area. After three trucks come by for various types, you may have over a dozen of carts all clustered around. Since the huge compounds use hired help to bring out and retrieve the carts, those people have no idea how many carts they have total. They may bring out 5 and take back 7. On my triplex I have 6 total and on the SFH next door I have 4.

The solution of course is to complain to the waste company for them to return the carts to where they pulled them...that didn't work...multiple calls no changes.

So now I decided I need to label my own carts.

I bought some white colored aluminum foiled "ALL WEATHER" tape.  I put a strip of that tape over each cart, write on the address with a thick black sharpie, then sprayed a layer of clear enamel over it.  In two days the tape came off.  Too hot too humid and so it's NOT ALL WEATHER!

I know some would spray paint LARGE LETTERS on the cans, but that looks very "ghetto" and not in this neighborhood this street.  So my next option is to find some specialty markers and write in the address.

Are these any thick, white or silver, truly all weather markers I can use for this purpose?

Loading replies...