City Rental Inspection in Taylor Michigan

City Rental Inspection in Taylor Michigan

Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Has anyone ever actually "passed" a rental inspection in Taylor Michigan.

We are on our 3rd follow up inspection at one of our properties and are starting to think we may never get a CofO from the City of Taylor.

We don't seem to get the same inspector twice, seems to always be a different one. There are inconsistencies in the failed items between the reports. They call out new things that weren't called out previously. They call out things that have already been obviously fixed. 

Starting to think that the $100.00 re-inspection fee is a nice income stream for the city and they seem to want to keep that coming in...

Has anyone else had issues with over zealous inspectors in this area?

And if so, how did you finally get a "pass" from them? What's the secret?

0Reply
30 views

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    11y

    @Henry Scott Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you. The same thing happened to me. Isold the property to a homeowner and they passed with flying colors. I can give you a list from experience of other cities that do the same thing.  Believe it or not, Taylor is not the worst.  I moved my market to the NW of there and all is well.

  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 755 posts · 462 votes
    11y

    The inspections up here are used as a major source of revenue by the smaller cities.

  • Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    @Joe Villeneuve Assuming you weren't otherwise ready to sell, it sounds like the city forced your hand and made you sell. If so, that's a real shame. Thank you for sharing your experience.

    We are not ready to sell and eager to hold for at least the next 5 years. We are getting very qualified, good, strong tenants that love the house and want to move in asap...but we have to get that elusive "pass" from the city first.

    I'm holding out hope that if we do the next batch of things they want done, and do the dance with them, we just might pass this next round...

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Henry Scott:

    @Joe Villeneuve Assuming you weren't otherwise ready to sell, it sounds like the city forced your hand and made you sell. If so, that's a real shame. Thank you for sharing your experience.

    We are not ready to sell and eager to hold for at least the next 5 years. We are getting very qualified, good, strong tenants that love the house and want to move in asap...but we have to get that elusive "pass" from the city first.

    I'm holding out hope that if we do the next batch of things they want done, and do the dance with them, we just might pass this next round...

     Best of luck.  I didn't have the patience.  LOL....but being local, I had more options too.

  • Real Estate Investor · Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 693 posts · 216 votes
    11y

    Hmmm I had many many inspections for my Roseville property and got my COO and they never charged me for returning to the property

    typical of Wayne county cities

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Scott K.:

    Hmmm I had many many inspections for my Roseville property and got my COO and they never charged me for returning to the property

    typical of Wayne county cities

     Come on Scott.  I know you're better than that.  LOL.  It isn't typical of Wayne County Cities.

  • Real Estate Investor · Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 693 posts · 216 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Joe Villeneuve:
    Originally posted by @Scott K.:

    Hmmm I had many many inspections for my Roseville property and got my COO and they never charged me for returning to the property

    typical of Wayne county cities

     Come on Scott.  I know you're better than that.  LOL.  It isn't typical of Wayne County Cities.

    Joe I have never heard of this fee.  Roseville, Madison Heights, Ferndale, Royal Oak,  we have never had problems like this person is having.

    That's a shame.  There are some good deals in Taylor that I was looking at.  These cities do themselves no favors by being like this.

    I even told Roseville guy (Jim) that I will be buying more in his city because he was great with working with me and not trying to break me over

  • Real Estate Investor · Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 693 posts · 216 votes
    11y

    lol also Joe you being out there in Plymouth, Canton, and Livonia is like a whole different world.

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Scott K.:

    lol also Joe you being out there in Plymouth, Canton, and Livonia is like a whole different world.

     You mean from the East Side?  That it is.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ypsilanti, MI · Member since 2016 · 230 posts · 86 votes
    9y

    @Henry Scott, were you able to find a list of inspection guidelines online beforehand?  They are posted in my city Ypsilanti, and I've found that helps to get the property passed in one or two visits.  Ironically, I'm looking for the same list for Taylor, but so far have not found it.  If you know where it lives in cyberland, please send the link my way!  Thank you!

  • Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Hi Keri, Taylor did not provide us with a checklist...although some of the other nearby towns have, like Westland has a pretty good checklist. However if you go off the checklist provided by Ypsilanti I believe you will be well prepared. 

    I guess the 3rd time is a charm...because at the 3rd re-inspection our Taylor property passed!

    That was back in 2015 and since then I have heard that the inspector we had no longer works in the building department...so you won't have the stickler we had.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ypsilanti, MI · Member since 2016 · 230 posts · 86 votes
    9y

    Thanks for your response, @Henry Scott. I think I will also call the city office tomorrow and get the conversation going.

    Best wishes!

  • Property Manager · Metro Detroit, MI · Member since 2008 · 305 posts · 362 votes
    5y

    Taylor/Dearborn Heights/ Redford are notorious for being difficult with inspections. I deal with these cities building departments on a daily basis. Contact me if you need advice, I would be happy to help.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.