renting to diplomats/consulates?

renting to diplomats/consulates?

Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 17 posts · 1 vote

Hello. We have been approached by a couple who are visiting Atlanta for 3 years for work as diplomats of a country and they want to rent our home for 3 years. It's a nice home with a pretty high rent. The lease would be in the name of the consulate of the country. Are there are cons to renting to them? I know when I lived in DC I remember diplomats were exempt from all laws and basically did whatever they wanted. I don't want to be stuck in a situation where the tenant can do anything they want, and I can't take them to court. For example, if the consulate stops paying rent, or if there is damage. They have said they would pay a security deposit and they said they want a 3 year lease. They also said the consulate will pay 6 months up front if we want. Has anyone dealt with this?

any advice is greatly appreciated.

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Washington, DC · Member since 2012 · 57 posts · 34 votes
12y

Here is some info from NVAR (Northern Virginia Association of Realtors) specifically related to renting to diplomats.  

http://nvar.com/disclosure/nvar-law-ethics-portal/legal-knowledgebase/disclosure/real-estate-laws-leasing-with-impunity-a-landlords-guide-to-diplomatic-immunity

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Washington, DC · Member since 2012 · 57 posts · 34 votes
    12y

    Here is some info from NVAR (Northern Virginia Association of Realtors) specifically related to renting to diplomats.  

    http://nvar.com/disclosure/nvar-law-ethics-portal/legal-knowledgebase/disclosure/real-estate-laws-leasing-with-impunity-a-landlords-guide-to-diplomatic-immunity

  • Developer · Decatur, GA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I'd be nervous.  Any chance this is a scam?  How did you receive the contact?

  • Dick RosenPro Member
    Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 451 votes
    12y

    Yep I would be pretty skeptical!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.