What kind of rental properties do you own?

What kind of rental properties do you own?

Asheville, NC · Member since 2008 · 107 posts · 10 votes

As a new member I am trying to get a feel of what types of properties members buy and/or manage. The demographic of the property greatly impact the cashflow expectations and the management style. What type of properties do you primarily own?

0Reply
5 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    18y

    There is a step between war zone and blue collar. That is the low income areas where the tenants don't work and have their rents paid by Section 8. Definitely not blue collar (since they don't work) but not war zone because bullets don't fly on a regular basis.

    I own a bunch of these low-income, non-warzone rentals and nicer SFHs, also. I manage all of them myself.

    Mike

  • Asheville, NC · Member since 2008 · 107 posts · 10 votes
    18y

    Thanks for the input Mike.
    Is everyone else on this board lurkers? Are there other landlords out there? Even if my poll doesn't suit your situation, please reply with what type of properties you own.
    Thanks!

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 86 votes
    18y

    I have one blue collar and one in the same type of situtation as Mike's. Section 8 neighborhood, but certainly not a war zone.

  • Real Estate Investor · Millbrook, AL · Member since 2008 · 68 posts · 34 votes
    18y

    I have have 1- 4plex, 3 dup's and 5 SFH's in Calif. Some blue collar and some sec. 8. All managed by a private party.

    I have 17 SHF's in Alabama, 5 yet to be repaired. I manage those myself.
    All rented units are blue collar.

  • Asheville, NC · Member since 2008 · 107 posts · 10 votes
    18y

    Thanks morentsee! :wink:

  • Real Estate Agent · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2008 · 193 posts · 7 votes
    18y

    I agree with MikeOH. There is an area called low income (where everyone sleeps till noon and waits for the mailman), but no bullets.

    I have 15 in low income, 5 new construction, 4 in blue collar, 2 in college/young professional area.

    Manage all myself.

  • Asheville, NC · Member since 2008 · 107 posts · 10 votes
    18y

    Thanks for your reply ScottFicek.
    Is manging the properties a full time job?

    Originally posted by "ScottFicek":
    I agree with MikeOH. There is an area called low income (where everyone sleeps till noon and waits for the mailman), but no bullets.

    I have 15 in low income, 5 new construction, 4 in blue collar, 2 in college/young professional area.

    Manage all myself.

  • Property Manager · CT · Member since 2008 · 131 posts · 3 votes
    18y

    don't know how to vote so .....

    My props:

    Blue Collar, manage myself, tenants occasionally work

  • Real Estate Agent · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2008 · 193 posts · 7 votes
    18y

    No. I used to be the Director of IS for a coffee company and manage 18 people (plus have 3 kids under 5 at home). Now I am a full-time real estate agent and investor so it is much easier.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.