What Color Are Your Rentals?

What Color Are Your Rentals?

Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2012 · 232 posts · 96 votes

Hi BP Family,

I want to ask what your favorite wall paint color and finish (flat, satin, etc.) are for your rentals. Or if you have a bad color or brand that failed miserably, please do tell.

I have always painted my properties the same color, Vanilla Brandy in Eggshell. I would use the same color in high gloss in bathrooms and kitchens. But recently I have encountered a problem. I was patching up some paint in a rental in San Diego, where the weather is dry and sunny 355 days of the year. On all the walls, directly facing the sun or now, the newly painted color was noticeably lighter than the original paint. They were from the same paint can! I ended up having to repaint a few highly stained walls and was very surprised by this. I did take all the precautions, mixing the paint well, prepping the walls, waiting a few days for the paint to completely dry. I am not sure why this happened but can only assume the walls got darker with time. So I want to see what are your favorite paint brand, color and finish for your rentals that have been proven to last and maintain their original color.

I have heard from someone that they use off white colors like Swedish Coffee.  Maybe the darker colors don't work as well in the long term? Horror stories welcome too.

0Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Colorado Springs CO · Member since 2014 · 535 posts · 253 votes
12y

We use semi-gloss Swiss Coffee by Behr (at Home Depot).  Haven't had any issues with touching up spots a year or so later.  Semi-gloss is easier to clean, too.

I think paint color does tend to fade over time, or so I've heard.  Love me some off-white Swiss Coffee!

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Colorado Springs CO · Member since 2014 · 535 posts · 253 votes
    12y

    We use semi-gloss Swiss Coffee by Behr (at Home Depot).  Haven't had any issues with touching up spots a year or so later.  Semi-gloss is easier to clean, too.

    I think paint color does tend to fade over time, or so I've heard.  Love me some off-white Swiss Coffee!

  • Rental Property Investor · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2012 · 87 posts · 39 votes
    12y

    Same as Kimberly.  Never had an issue with touch-ups being noticeable.

    That said, it's a little plain looking.  If I were doing paint in a nicer unit, I would pick Woodlawn Gray in Valspar from Lowe's.  I actually used this in my own bathroom recently and it is beautiful and modern looking, but wouldn't go well in every house.

  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 951 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Kimberly T.:

    We use semi-gloss Swiss Coffee by Behr (at Home Depot).  Haven't had any issues with touching up spots a year or so later.  Semi-gloss is easier to clean, too.

    I think paint color does tend to fade over time, or so I've heard.  Love me some off-white Swiss Coffee!

     I use a very similar Behr color, Hazelnut Cream, for the interior of all my rentals.  I use eggshell and find that to be a good middle ground between cleaning and not being too shiny.  As long as the unit wasn't heavily smoked in I've had no problem touching up a year or two later and even if it's bad I can just roll the walls again and not cut in so it's a big time savings.  I go through a ton of paint and get a contractor discount at Home Depot on it so the pricing is pretty good.  

  • Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 464 votes
    12y

    I use Summer Suede (a warm earthtone brown) for bedrooms. I also have been fond of whispering pine (a muted light green) for living rooms and dining rooms. Both in eggshell. I like to have color in my rentals as it sets them apart from the white, on white, on white boxes that many other places have. For a $100 it does wonders to attact new tenants and have them feel like they have a home instead of just a place to live. I like eggshell as it covers and conceals some of the walls imperfections. Flat white for the ceiling.I use semi gloss white (white lullaby) for the trim that has already been painted. I have a lot of character home that have beautiful wood work and I despise it when people paint over beautiful woodwork. All the paint colors are from menards and most are in the pittsburg color line. I usually go with Dutchboy Platinum series paint and primer in one and have had great success. Grand distinction is the higher end pittsburg brand and is good as well.

  • Rental Property Investor · Reno, NV · Member since 2013 · 77 posts · 31 votes
    12y

    I use Sherwin Williams versatile grey on the walls and marshmallow on the trim. I have older homes with carved trim and built ins.  It really makes the woodwork pop.  I get a contractors discount too.  Semigloss throughout and gloss on the trim.  Cleans up easy.

  • Opelousas, LA · Member since 2014 · 25 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    @ Klye Hipp- this post 2 years ago is exactly what I was looking for...!!!...thanks!!!
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Old post but,

    I've been using a really light grey from Lowes in a satin finish for the walls.

    With a high gloss ultra bright white for the trim. Makes small rooms feel bigger.

  • Investor · Wendell, NC · Member since 2014 · 189 posts · 54 votes
    10y

    We just finished our personal residence, which will be a rental soon. We used Delicate Lace from Home Depot. It's a nice off white color, that's not too boring and looks good on every surface we have butted it against and every room (Dark hardwoods, light tile, gray carpet).

  • Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2013 · 844 posts · 350 votes
    10y
    Sherwin Williams tinsmith
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.