New landlord. Include washer and dryer and other appliance?

New landlord. Include washer and dryer and other appliance?

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 2 votes
Do you typical include washer and dryer for renters? Also what is everyone's thoughts on providing a dishwasher?
1Reply
43 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 217 posts · 170 votes
12y

It is market specific, but even more so, it is property specific. With that being said, I think most SFRs have dishwashers, or else they wish they had one (reason to not renew later). I do not supply a washer/dryer, but I tell potential tenants that I have one available they can rent for $20-$30 more a month.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 217 posts · 170 votes
    12y

    It is market specific, but even more so, it is property specific. With that being said, I think most SFRs have dishwashers, or else they wish they had one (reason to not renew later). I do not supply a washer/dryer, but I tell potential tenants that I have one available they can rent for $20-$30 more a month.

  • Buffalo, NY · Member since 2014 · 371 posts · 146 votes
    12y

    Dishwasher - Yes, if the neighborhood demands it. Washer/Dryer - No (tenants will break yours if you let them), unless they are coin operated. Check Craigslist to see what other properties are renting with or without in your neighborhood.

  • Chris K.Pro Member
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y

    I'll always make sure to have a W/D hookup but I'll never provide the washer and dryer. I've had tenants move out and leave theirs and I let the next ones know that If they break down I do not replace. And if they remove the working set they must replace them with a working set upon moving out.

    Dishwasher I'm torn on also. I'm thinking I'm going to put one in cause it would be a good feature to have for potential renters, but I don't like the idea of having another thing that can break.

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y
    As far as washers and dryers go, we provide hook ups. Never the actual washer or dryer. If its a rental we do not put in dishwashers. Why? It's another thing that can leak and another way tenants can use water, which we pay for.
  • Investor · Carbondale, IL · Member since 2009 · 95 posts · 31 votes
    12y

    We currently provide washer/dryer/dishwasher. Dishwashers were already in units, otherwise I probably wouldn't have put them in. Although, tenants have been pleased. We have in our lease if appliances quit working, landlord reserves the right to, or not to replace. Even if you don't provide a washer, I would provide the water supply lines, braided stainless steel. You don't want someone bringing in lower quality hoses.

  • Michele FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    For washer dryer I would follow the lead of other properties in your area. Most of our area doesn't have dishwashers or disposals, so having them commands $25/month extra in rent. Service calls are $150 or less less often than once a year, so it works out.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    High end? then include dishwasher.

    Low end or working class no dishwasher just another expense to incur.

    We include stove & fridge in some of our multi's. No appliances in SFR.

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I have high end A+ rentals for our area. I supply stove, dishwater, refrigerator. I do not supply washer/dryer. I use to but it is the most often service call. I have no found that anyone will pay more or not go with my unit because it doesn't offer a washer/dryer.

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Hi @Mike Peel 

    I don't supply any appliances. If tenants want any appliances, I charge $25/appliance/month and I supply new ones. Each appliance cost me about $400, so if the tenants stay 16 months, I break even on the cost and starting 17th month, I am making money on appliances.

  • Curtis BidwellPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2014 · 777 posts · 744 votes
    12y
    Dishwashers always. We are even adding over-the-range microwaves that we generally pick up for about $150. It sets our property above the competition for a small investment. Not sure we get more in rent but generally better clientele. We offer w/d hookups and occasionally rent a set for an extra $25.
  • Princeton, KS · Member since 2014 · 357 posts · 169 votes
    12y

    Go start checking out other comparable rentals in your area - appliances vary widely depending on location. Around here, lower-end SFRs include a stove. If there was originally a dishwasher in place, that's included. Washer/dryer hookups are expected, but not the actual units. Some landlords include a fridge, others don't. It's a selling point for lower-income renters, who may not own one. Higher-end tenants usually have their own.

    Garbage disposals are NOT included - you may as well just grind up your money & put it down the drain! Tenants WILL destroy them.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.