PA Tenant Abandoned Property

PA Tenant Abandoned Property

Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 67 posts · 24 votes

Soooo.. this is a complicated topic.

Complication #1- The tenant is a family member. Don't worry, yes, I had them sign a lease, a mold addendum, rules & regulations, and an addendum for drug-free housing.

Complication #2- They moved out with prior notice (which is required, 30 days in advance of the 1st of the month), leaving behind TONS of possessions, and moved into a shelter.

Complication #3- I was never given notice. However, they left a note for my Mom saying they were moving out because of mold in the unit due to a leak (a leak I was never notified about, and mold that wasn't there when I rented it to them). The last repair in their unit was back in April, which is exactly where they say the new leak is (you know, the leak they never told me about).

Complication #4- Ugh. I'm so mad at myself for this. Instead of requiring two month's security deposit (and believe me, family or not, this was a total necessity), I required one month security deposit, and last month's rent. They handed over the keys on June 6, which means the clock is ticking for me to itemize and mail them, although they didn't provide a forwarding address (I will mail it to the property and to my Mom's house, because she can always find family members).

Here is my question. Given the fact that they broke their lease and abandoned the property 4 months before their lease was up, what are my rights in regards to the last month's rent? They handed over the keys on June 6, but didn't say they were completely out until June 9. I know that legally, the keys signify possession, which means I need to send an itemized list regarding the security deposit in the next 30 days--but what I don't know, is what happens to the last month's rent since they're breaking their lease, without permission?

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Involved In Real Estate · My City, NJ · Member since 2013 · 181 posts · 81 votes
12y

@Raquel L. 

I just went through this with a PA tenant that abandoned a house. I sued her in NJ where she moved back to.

  In our leases we state that any and all notices for repairs or lease issues must be in writing with reasonable proof of delivery to out addresses (no phone calls or texts). This way what they pulled (telling your Mom) doesn't get them out of the notice required.

  The point of a lease is to hold each other accountable, it's a contract binding on both of you, you not to kick her out and her not to abandon. I would hold her accountable till it's re-rented, you have to mitigate the damages by trying to find new tenants asap, so get it advertised and be able to show proof that your advertising.

  I would consider all of June till the end of the lease term owed till it's re-rented, which ever comes first and sue for that. Make them enforce the contract.

  Write up a move out repair & security accounting asap and get that sent out certified. If their negligence to notify you of a repair caused more damage, I'd charge for that repair as well.

  My tenant never showed in court, I was asked for proof of my claims right then and there to proceed with my case to get a judgment, now past the 60 day appeal time period I petitioned for wage garnishment. on their jobs in NJ. The judge I went before was ready to shoe me away, seemed to be a bleeding heart, but I had all my proof so he had to go ahead with my trial & judgment.

  Make sure you have *all* your proof if you go to court.

  I don't rent to family or anyone I know anymore, I've been down that road before, never again. It's all just business now.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Holley, NY · Member since 2011 · 507 posts · 347 votes
    12y

    I am not an attorney and not giving legal advice. In MY opinion, the last months rent would go toward the last month that was required to give adequate notice. If I am reading correctly, that would be July since it sounds like notice was given after May 31. If you end up renting prior to the end of July, then I am not 100% sure that you can "legally" keep all of the last month's rent since you would have mitigated your loss by re-renting.  However, if there is a storage period required prior to disposal of the items, then you might have the place tied up through July anyway.

    Hopefully you have a RE attorney that you work with that will give you a couple minutes of time to run this by if you have questions.  I do enough with my attorney that this type of call is free.

  • Involved In Real Estate · My City, NJ · Member since 2013 · 181 posts · 81 votes
    12y

    @Raquel L. 

    I just went through this with a PA tenant that abandoned a house. I sued her in NJ where she moved back to.

      In our leases we state that any and all notices for repairs or lease issues must be in writing with reasonable proof of delivery to out addresses (no phone calls or texts). This way what they pulled (telling your Mom) doesn't get them out of the notice required.

      The point of a lease is to hold each other accountable, it's a contract binding on both of you, you not to kick her out and her not to abandon. I would hold her accountable till it's re-rented, you have to mitigate the damages by trying to find new tenants asap, so get it advertised and be able to show proof that your advertising.

      I would consider all of June till the end of the lease term owed till it's re-rented, which ever comes first and sue for that. Make them enforce the contract.

      Write up a move out repair & security accounting asap and get that sent out certified. If their negligence to notify you of a repair caused more damage, I'd charge for that repair as well.

      My tenant never showed in court, I was asked for proof of my claims right then and there to proceed with my case to get a judgment, now past the 60 day appeal time period I petitioned for wage garnishment. on their jobs in NJ. The judge I went before was ready to shoe me away, seemed to be a bleeding heart, but I had all my proof so he had to go ahead with my trial & judgment.

      Make sure you have *all* your proof if you go to court.

      I don't rent to family or anyone I know anymore, I've been down that road before, never again. It's all just business now.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 67 posts · 24 votes
    12y

    @Adam Johnson I'm one of those less is more people when it comes to lawyers, so I don't have one I use on a regular basis, but I think, for this, and since it's family, I want to do everything by the letter of the law in order to say I followed everything by the book and treated them as I would treat any other tenant (because that's what we agreed to!).

    @George C. Thank you for sharing your experience. I also have it in my lease that I require 30 day WRITTEN notice, prior to the 1st of the month, directly to me.

    My biggest concern is that the law (I actually read the codes, lol, and quite a few legal forums) seems really unclear about the last month's rent. I'm also concerned that the legal fees would outdo the amount of last month's rent she would actually receive, had she not broken her lease, and had she done everything correctly according to the lease (which she didn't).

    The disputed amount is $600 which is last month's rent. She does not expect her security deposit back. The damages to the unit are $1000+ because of a window her children broke, holes in doors, etc. The window is an odd size, VERY large custom window. The last time I spoke with an attorney regarding collections, he didn't think it was worth it to pursue with C class tenants (which she is) because they live on Social Security, etc..and don't have jobs to collect from.

  • Real Estate Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 122 posts · 51 votes
    12y

    Too many complications to add even more complexity by trying to involve lawyers and the letter and spirit of the law, I would just eat my loss and learn the lesson for  next time

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 67 posts · 24 votes
    12y

    @Sergio B. How will I ever learn my lesson if I don't go through the process that a professional would go through? ;) If I learn about it, I can create systems to prevent this in the future. I also need to understand the laws in the states in which I operate. I'd like to learn the lesson.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.