Launching a Property Management Business in Georgia — Seeking Advice!

Launching a Property Management Business in Georgia — Seeking Advice!

New to Real Estate · GA · Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 3 votes

Hi BiggerPockets Community

I’m currently managing my own commercial property here in Georgia through a property management company I formed, and over time, I’ve really dialed in my systems. I handle the management part-time, and thanks to investing in the right property management software, streamlining tenant communication, and building a reliable network of contractors and vendors, things have been running smoothly.

Now I’m at a crossroads.

I’m considering turning this side hustle into a full-time business — offering property management services to other landlords and scaling from there. I know Georgia requires a real estate license and affiliation with a brokerage to legally manage property for others. By the grace of God, I’ve connected with a broker who’s open to letting me operate independently under his brokerage umbrella once I get my license (currently working on it). We’d have a profit-sharing agreement, and down the line, I plan to get my broker’s license and branch off to run my own full-service real estate company.

My vision is to build something substantial — starting with property management (since it has relatively low barriers to entry), then expanding into sales, leasing, and potentially acquisitions. Property management, to me, seems like a strong foundation for recurring revenue and long-term growth in the real estate space.

That said, I’d love to hear from those of you who’ve walked this path:

• How was your experience starting a property management company from scratch?

• In 2025, is it still a profitable and scalable business model?

• What are some unexpected challenges or hidden costs I should prepare for?

• What are the pros and cons of affiliating with a broker instead of launching 100% independently?

• How long did it take you to go full-time and build up your portfolio of units under management?

• Would you do anything differently if you could start over?

Also, if there are key tools, systems, or marketing strategies that helped you grow your management business, I’d love to hear about them.

Thanks in advance to everyone who shares their insights. I’m excited and a little nervous to take this leap, and really appreciate any knowledge or advice you can offer to help me do it right.

2Reply
23 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Moscow Idaho · Member since 2024 · 224 posts · 143 votes
    1y

    I ran a giant PM company in CO for 15 years. PM is a grind. I still run one for my own, which is much easier. You don't have to deal with owners. It is half your job managing your clients and you have to fire the bad ones.  Something needs to be fixed. They don't have the money or just don't want to pay what it costs. I have consulted on several PM companies for people who worked for me, who moved on, and people who have owed ones that I have.  

    Like any business, are you willing to put everything into it for 10 years and not make money for the first 5 years?  

    I have run 3, and two I owed. Systems are critical. I don't think I could write down what you have to do in the next hour, but I would be glad to do a call with you and answer any questions you have.  

    My PM Company saves me over $100K a year in fees, which works for me, but I have been in the game for 30-plus years.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.