Renter wants her ex felon (ex?) husband to move in

Renter wants her ex felon (ex?) husband to move in

SFR Investor · Grand Rapids, MN · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 0 votes

So I rented my duplex to a newly divorced mom with two kids and her mother. We are six weeks in to a one year lease. The girl told me that she was recently divorced. Now she says they were just separated for a trial and are considering getting back together. She asked me if I would add her (ex?)husband on to the lease. When I said we would run a background check she informed me that he has had three prior felons - fleeing an officer, third degree assault and third degree burglary. All were more than 10 years ago before they were together and he has not had any more offenses since. He has been off probation for seven years.

I am concerned about his priors but understand they were a long time ago and people change. Also I am not happy about the potential extra wear and tear on the house. But I can't see keeping a family apart, besides he is there a lot during the day watching their kids anyway.

What should I do?

0Reply
8 views

Most Popular Reply

SFR Investor · Stillwater, OK · Member since 2014 · 168 posts · 37 votes
12y

She pay the rent or public assistance?

She lives with her mother and if he moves in there may be tension at times and he may come and go

If his trouble with the law actually was years ago, and If he works and has held a job for awhile ,and he isn't an obvious flake.

I think I may consider adding him to the lease. He may be sleeping over or living there anyway.

If it turns into a happy little family great , but if he moves off ,and she does'nt end up working out you will have another on the hook for the rent .

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • SFR Investor · Stillwater, OK · Member since 2014 · 168 posts · 37 votes
    12y

    She pay the rent or public assistance?

    She lives with her mother and if he moves in there may be tension at times and he may come and go

    If his trouble with the law actually was years ago, and If he works and has held a job for awhile ,and he isn't an obvious flake.

    I think I may consider adding him to the lease. He may be sleeping over or living there anyway.

    If it turns into a happy little family great , but if he moves off ,and she does'nt end up working out you will have another on the hook for the rent .

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    Pretty much agree with everything @Account Closed has stated.

    not the most ideal position to be in.

  • SFR Investor · Grand Rapids, MN · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    She pays all the rent right now. Her mother only works part time. I'm not sure the husband even has a job. He typically watches the kids while she is at work.

    I feel like he is going to end up sleeping there at times anyway. If he's not on the lease and ends up staying too long I have reason to evict or end the lease. But if I put him on the lease then I am stuck with him. When they signed I stressed no more people moving in. No boyfriends moving in. It is not that big of a place and I don't really want that kind of stress on the house. Plus the extra noise could be bothering the other tenants in the duplex.

    I'm kind of thinking that maybe I can just find a bigger place to put all of them. I would actually like to buy a 3/2 that might work better. Does that sound crazy?

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 465 posts · 170 votes
    12y
    If you plan on expanding anyways why not? If it makes you dollars then you are making sense :p
  • Contractor · washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2011 · 204 posts · 64 votes
    12y

    What the problem tell her 250 deposit she can get back at the end of the lease and a extra 50 dollars more per month. why I say that he is going to stay there any way and you do not have time to see who is coming in and out of the place.I would like to have two incomes on my properties better chance of me getting the note paid than one person.

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Like others and you have said, he's probably already living there. Run the credit and background check anyway. All adult occupants must pass background check and sign lease. She may have "forgot" something that happened more recent and you want his information if you ever have to collect. Collect more rent for adding him and additional deposit.

    It is very hard to prove additional occupants and then to evict for it, so it's best to try and not have to deal with that situation.

  • SFR Investor · Grand Rapids, MN · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Decided to put him on the lease. Going to run a full background check anyway just so we know all the details. They are going to pay a fee for the background check and to get him added. Thanks for all the advice!

  • Real Estate Agent · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    It honestly sounds to me like it was a calculated plan. I would bet that they were never separated and knew that this would be the only way to get a lease.

    Nevertheless, that doesn't change the situation.

  • Rental Property Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2008 · 342 posts · 123 votes
    12y

    I would make sure to do the full background check including court cases before adding him to the lease. I agree, this was most likely what they planned form the beginning.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.