Application Submission & Authorization to Release Information

Application Submission & Authorization to Release Information

Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 2 votes

Hello all, 

As a newer landlord looking into self-managing my current singular property, I have come to a crossroads with regards to receiving applications to process. This question primarily pertains to the signed release of information form. 

For those of you that do an online application or furthermore just a simple "form" that is completed online, how do you go about acquiring and subsequently providing proof of obtaining such authorization without a signature? I am leery of signing up for DocuSign considering they limit the documents on a per-month basis and I don't know how many individuals may express interest... I could very easily hit the threshold for a month in one weekend without a qualified applicant and no way to proceed in sending out these forms for a signature. 

Is this a non-issue? Are most landlords/PMs not contacting employers and instead simply trusting the paystubs provided? If contacting the employer and asked for a signed authorization, but never truly obtained signatures due to an "online form" (or similar Zillow/Apartments(dot)com application), what is being done in this instance? 

Upon initially listing within both the Zillow and Apartments(dot)com networks, I left the application feature on to see what would be received... Zillow was severely lacking and Apartments(dot)com seemed somewhat cumbersome to navigate their CBR, although it at least had good/complete details.

I have my own application that I began as the BP one for my state and made various tweaks based on a few samples provided by other local landlords in my area. Most importantly, the final page has an "authorization to release information" form that is signed by the applicant, authorizing various entities (primarily landlord/employer) to speak to me and confirm various details. I have primarily experienced this with employers that want a written consent before releasing any details about an employee, understandably so. 

My primary goal is to verify current employment, wages, and outlook (if they will go this far). Due to my background in consumer lending, I am highly skeptical of paystubs and other address verification due to the widely available websites that are out there to generate forms relatively easily... so I like to verify the information by contacting the listed employer using their listed number on Google to avoid possibly calling a friend etc. 

2Reply
69 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · Miami, FL · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 453 votes
    2y

    Hi Austin,

    As a new landlord exploring self-management, your concern about obtaining signed authorizations for verifying applicant information without a physical signature is valid. Many landlords now use online platforms that integrate electronic signature capabilities to handle this legally and efficiently. These platforms, like DocuSign, streamline the process but can be costly if you exceed the monthly limits.

    However, alternatives exist. Services such as HelloSign or even more comprehensive property management software like Cozy or TurboTenant offer electronic signing as part of their application processing tools, sometimes without the same limits as DocuSign. These platforms ensure that you obtain legally binding electronic signatures for the release of information forms as part of the application process.

    In practice, while some landlords might accept pay stubs at face value, your approach to verifying employment directly is prudent, especially given the ease of falsifying documents with today's technology. Using electronic signatures obtained via reputable software ensures compliance and authenticity, allowing you to contact employers directly for confirmation, which aligns with best practices in tenant screening.

    If you have any specific questions about setting up your application process or need further recommendations on property management tools, feel free to ask. 

    Best regards,

    Drago

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    2y

    There are several online doc signing options. Just do some research.

    You're only other real option is to meet appicants in person to get their signature(s).

  • Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Drago Stanimirovic:

    Hi Austin,

    As a new landlord exploring self-management, your concern about obtaining signed authorizations for verifying applicant information without a physical signature is valid. Many landlords now use online platforms that integrate electronic signature capabilities to handle this legally and efficiently. These platforms, like DocuSign, streamline the process but can be costly if you exceed the monthly limits.

    However, alternatives exist. Services such as HelloSign or even more comprehensive property management software like Cozy or TurboTenant offer electronic signing as part of their application processing tools, sometimes without the same limits as DocuSign. These platforms ensure that you obtain legally binding electronic signatures for the release of information forms as part of the application process.

    In practice, while some landlords might accept pay stubs at face value, your approach to verifying employment directly is prudent, especially given the ease of falsifying documents with today's technology. Using electronic signatures obtained via reputable software ensures compliance and authenticity, allowing you to contact employers directly for confirmation, which aligns with best practices in tenant screening.

    If you have any specific questions about setting up your application process or need further recommendations on property management tools, feel free to ask. 

    Best regards,

    Drago


    Thanks for taking the time.

    Regarding the Cozy reference, I am using Apartments(dot)com as an introductory free platform that seems to check most of the boxes and then determining where my pain-points are, if any, to help me pick from the plethora of more inclusive available options at a later time (such as TurboTenant, TenantPro, LandlordStudio, etc). I presume Apartments(dot)com to be the current equivalent to Cozy. Unless Cozy has started back up or another entity using the name with a similar product suite? 

    I knew it would allow me to esign my own lease, but honestly just have not tried to use it for "other" documents. I'll check into it and see what happens attempting to send non-lease documents to applicants via the platform!

  • Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Drew Sygit:

    There are several online doc signing options. Just do some research.

    You're only other real option is to meet appicants in person to get their signature(s).


     Understandable. I looked at a small handful, primarily DocuSign due to familiarity with it in my W2 job. My only concern is that the introductory/basic plan has a 5 envelope limit - assuming this is a monthly limitation - and I may have 5+ applicants that are duds before landing on one that I am comfortable with based on screening criteria etc... What happens on these platforms, such as the "Personal" plan for DocuSign, when/if you exceed the included options? Is it a hard-stop wall, no more, or just each additional over the 5 would incur some per-envelope fee? 

    I truly did intend on just having them complete the Apartments(dot)com application, since it appears to utilize the TU SmartMove screening details that many here boast about... so the only thing that I am concerned on getting signatures for is the Authorization to Release Information when reaching out to current/previous landlords and employer for various verifications. I didn't mind meeting them to sign these in person, considering I am doing showings myself as well, but am just limited on availability to mostly weekends due to aforementioned W2 job - figured an esignature option would be convenient to quickly send something out during working hours "in a pinch."

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    @Austin Lukes 5 should be enough because:

    1) Most DIY landlords don't follow privacy laws and will give you feedback on the phone.

    2) You can weed out a decent amount of applicants due to low income, lack of job history, etc.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.