Can a handyman show prospective tentants the property.

Can a handyman show prospective tentants the property.

Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 0 votes

I'm in Florida and do not have a realtors license.  I'm working for a broker and real estate agent (as a contract handyman I'm not on their payroll)  who have recently become involved with rentals.  Sometimes they're across town and can't show the property.  Is it legal for me to show the property to the prospective tenants as long as I don't collect commission or sign any paperwork.  Thank You!!  

0Reply
17 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Northeast PA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Michael Oconnor yes, it is "legal" for anyone to show a rental property without a license under the following conditions:

    Do not speak beyond saying, "Hello, I am only here to open the door.  I cannot answer ANY questions.  You need to speak with the broker/agent for any further details or information."

    If you discuss anything else, you will be in peril of violating real estate licensing law.  Stick to that script, and you should be good to go.  Again, discuss NOTHING else.

    Also, double-check with your agent/broker for any other laws that might apply in your state.

    Good luck.  Keep investing and moving forward.

  • Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    Thank You Awesome!  Thank you for taking the time and it came at the right time I have an appointment in 2 hours.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    @Marc Winter another tactic is to get the broker on the phone if they seem to have a lot of questions that puts you in less of a bad position. And it goes without saying that the broker should be paying for your time for this because as @Marc Winter made clear it is their job to be showing. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.