Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Clare Cui
Votes |
Decent tenant now unemployed, renew lease?

Clare Cui
Posted Jul 20 2024, 08:23

Hello all, I have a tenant who overall has been a decent tenant (paid rent on time, let us know if maintenance issues etc) however her lease is coming up next month and she admitted to being unemployed for the past few months. During that time of unemployment, she has paid on time with her unemployment checks coming in. I've learned some hard lessons with tenants, so I'm totally ok with not letting her renew, but also if she's been able to pay rent with unemployment maybe it can work? Anyone have additional thoughts? 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 20 2024, 08:26

@Clare Cui

I would requalify her - meaning have her provide you with unemployment amounts, how long she is able to collect and also how much $ she has in bank just like I would do for a new tenant

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Melloul
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 20 2024, 08:39
Quote from @Chris Seveney:

@Clare Cui

I would requalify her - meaning have her provide you with unemployment amounts, how long she is able to collect and also how much $ she has in bank just like I would do for a new tenant

I agree with Chris. It's a good idea to requalify her, which means she needs to reapply for the property. Another option is to renew her lease on a month-to-month basis. This way, you're not locked into a long-term commitment and can start looking for a new tenant. If you find someone great, you can give her a notice that you won't be renewing her month-to-month lease after the specified month. This approach helps reduce your vacancy loss.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Jul 20 2024, 09:24

Like they said ^^^^^ Definitely re-qualify, and go to a month-to-month lease. As you probably know, unemployment payments have a limited lifespan. Maybe she has (or can get) some additional income (Lyft/Door Dash/Etc)?

It would be a shame to lose a good tenant.....but you gotta protect yourself at the same time....

User Stats

Votes
Clare Cui
Votes |
Replied Jul 20 2024, 12:29

super hepful @Chris Seveney @Jeremy Melloul @Bruce Woodruff thank you for your thoughtful and incredibly helpful replies. I'm feeling like yes, having her reapply, seeing when her unemployment runs out, money in the bank, current job search status. I'm not excited on doing a month to month because I'd like to get all my tenants locked in (my strategy is a rent by room for multiple rooms in a SFH) so I can get my leases set up to my lender for the next property.

I was thinking maybe we could set up a ACH auto withdrawal from her bank or unemployment card to ensure the rent, any thoughts or complications with that? Thank you again for your response, I really appreciate it! 

And I agree @Bruce Woodruff, she's been a good tenant up to this point but I WILL protect myself.