Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
How much reserve should you maintain?

Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorPosted Jun 10 2024, 05:16

Do you keep a reserve? If so, how big is it? How did you decide on that number?

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jun 10 2024, 05:41
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

Do you keep a reserve? If so, how big is it? How did you decide on that number?

Yes we do, and I recommend everyone keep a reserve. Reserve is really tricky on calculating. Right now we sold most of our properties and are down to 2 single family rentals. So we keep $25k for the two (both are cash flowing and we have held for 10 years). The reason we keep that number is if we have a major repair we have the funds, or if we lose a tenant. That money is sitting in an account earning close to 5% so we are not complaining. We also have a line of credit as well that we could use. When we had more properties we would increase it, but it was not linear, but for me comfortable would be $20k for the first property and $5k increase for each additional door on top of that. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jun 10 2024, 06:01

I don't think there's a reliable way to come up with an exact dollar amount that everyone can just plug into their situation and be 100% safe. 

Someone with one newer aged rental, who has a rather high income, such as a surgeon who lives alone comfortably with a lot of disposable income, could possibly carry less than a Mr and Mrs just starting out, with one rental that they bought as a turnkey in a more downtrodden neighborhood in a different state.

Also someone who is a hammer swinger type, who doesn't mind getting their hands dirty and putting in a hard day's work, might be able to get by with less than either of the above two.

The way I look at it, it is investment specific, based on what you think you will need in the next few years That could come from cash, or cash equivalents, or if you can afford to make the payments, it could come from borrowed funds. Or any combination of these.

Of course cash would be the best scenario and in my opinion if you have a large portfolio you really need to look at each of the assets to make that determination.

So the way I see it it's person's situation specific, as well as properties you have in your portfolio specific vs a specific amount.

Good Luck!

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
Managing your property just got WAY cheaper and easier! Handle repairs, rent, listings, and more with the touch of a button - property manage like a pro!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jun 11 2024, 05:35

@Chris Seveney and @Scott Mac thanks for sharing. 

I agree that there's no hard number or specific formula. It depends on one's financial strength, the quality of the property, how many properties they own, and other factors.

I like to start with one significant expense and three months of vacancy. Imagine if you had one single-family home. The tenant fails to pay their last month's rent and leaves the place needing new flooring and paint. It will take two months to turn it around and get it rented. That's three months of mortgage and utilities, the cost of flooring, and the cost of painting. That's a typical scenario and could cost you $10,000 - $15,000 so that would be a good starting point for your reserve.

But there's more!

What if you're a cardiologist with no debt and making $250,000 annually? You could probably afford $20,000 without much impact on your budget. If you're a single mom with student loans, a car payment, and living paycheck-to-paycheck, then $20,000 would be devastating and a reserve is critical.

User Stats

Votes
John Litz
Pro Member
  • Reno NV
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Reno NV
Replied Jun 11 2024, 07:48

I have a little different perspective. To me it doesn’t matter if your new or if your experienced making a lot of money. Reserve funds should handle a major cap x like a roof, plus money to pay the bills while the work is being done as a tenant likely won’t be paying during this time. Each additional property you own would receive an additional percentage. You wouldn’t double reserves but you might add an additional 30% per property because the more you have the more likely 2 big events happen at the same time. Have credit cards available with zero balances to handle immediate needs paid back out of your actual reserve funds that are in a high yield savings account. Access is usually within a few days. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jun 11 2024, 08:00
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

@Chris Seveney and @Scott Mac thanks for sharing. 

I agree that there's no hard number or specific formula. It depends on one's financial strength, the quality of the property, how many properties they own, and other factors.

I like to start with one significant expense and three months of vacancy. Imagine if you had one single-family home. The tenant fails to pay their last month's rent and leaves the place needing new flooring and paint. It will take two months to turn it around and get it rented. That's three months of mortgage and utilities, the cost of flooring, and the cost of painting. That's a typical scenario and could cost you $10,000 - $15,000 so that would be a good starting point for your reserve.

But there's more!

What if you're a cardiologist with no debt and making $250,000 annually? You could probably afford $20,000 without much impact on your budget. If you're a single mom with student loans, a car payment, and living paycheck-to-paycheck, then $20,000 would be devastating and a reserve is critical.

I agree. Each situation is very different. Key is to make sure you are not cash poor.

What I am seeing right now in some sub2 FB groups and a few posts here on BP is people who got close to 100% financing on properties, have a tenant in them but need a major repair and have no funds for that repair. 

These situations, especially when the seller in the sub2 still has their name on the property - are going to get real interesting.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jun 11 2024, 08:53
Quote from @Chris Seveney:

I see posts like these: "I have $40,000 in the bank. What should I invest in?"

My response? If you have $40,000 in the bank, you shouldn't spend more than $30,000 of it.

User Stats

Votes
Samuel Diouf#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Samuel Diouf#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jun 11 2024, 13:11

At least 6 months of reserves after budgeting for capex. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 11 2024, 16:54

Personally, I maintain both an emergency fund reserve and capital improvement/major repairs reserves. The emergency fund is 6 months of living expenses approximately. The Capex is a percentage set aside based on nearly 30 years of experience and my current property inspections. I also maintain cash in CDs that could be utilized in case of extreme circumstances.

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
#4 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Jun 12 2024, 14:22

To me a reserve is separate from your personal finances. So, it is what do you reserve for this property or this group of properties. Yes, higher income makes it easier to handle unexpected repairs but the property or group of properties itself should have a reserve.   I look at figuring what is the next big ticket item going to cost. I try to keep that in reserve.