Fourplex - Receiving mail for the building

Fourplex - Receiving mail for the building

Member since 2024 · 8 posts · 0 votes

As PO BOX rates have more than doubled in the last 10 years, I'm trying to setup an additional mailbox for my fourplex building for the purpose of receiving administrative mail to effectively use it like a PO BOX. The building has the following addressing scheme for the units: '123 Main St. Apt. A' (B, C, and D as well). And, just to be clear, I'm not trying to setup an additional unit--I am just trying to accomplish receiving mail to '123 Main St.', nothing more.

Has anyone successfully accomplished this?

To go on further,

As a test, I hung a mailbox (along side with my tenant's mailboxes), clearly labeled it with the building address, and sent a test letter. The letter came back "Return to Sender Attempted - Not Known". When I went to the local USPS office to inquire with the Supervisor, his explanation was: the Address Management System only shows the four units (i.e. 123 Main St. Apt. A) not the physical building, 123 Main St., and is thus undeliverable. He directed me to the City to have the building address added to receive mail and for this I would have to apply with the City for having an additional unit constructed (i.e. applications, permits, etc.) as mail can only be delivered to a dwelling (rather than a building). I'm not sure how he he concluded this as county records show  '123 Main St.' as a valid physical address.

When I spoke with the City Community Dev. Supervisor to explain what I was trying to accomplish, they said that shouldn't be a problem as I am not adding a unit and the building is a physical address. However, before adding the address to the system, they checked with USPS to verify, and came back denying my request saying the same explanation as what USPS said above.

No one at USPS or the City has been able to provide me with any ordinances, laws, USPS Handbook rules, etc. as their basis for enforcing this decision. Perhaps there is one, but until that can be provided as justification for their decision it doesn't seem proper for USPS to be playing 'detective' telling people they can't hang a mailbox when there is a physical address on record with the county.

Has anyone run into this too?

Thanks in advance for your comments and responses.

0Reply
73 views

Most Popular Reply

Melanie P.Pro Member
Rental Property Investor · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 922 votes
2y
Quote from @Jeff Anderson:

Hi @Melanie P. I already checked with the Postmaster. The addressing system only has units 'A', 'B', 'C', and 'D' in their database. If the address doesn't fully match, it gets kicked back to Sender as "Unknown".

According to USPS, my only recourse is having the City add a new address entry for only the street address (no apartment unit) in the system. They will only do this if I add a 5th unit (which takes me into commercial territory). So, yeah, government bureaucracy at its finest.


If you add another box and keep sending mail to the that box you will be surprised to see that mail is delivered by your carrier. When it comes to the online tools for address verification you have to call the USPS AMS office and request they extend the RANGE of unit numbers/letters. Here is a link to look up your AMS office: https://postalpro.usps.com/ppro-tools/address-management-sys...

You're not getting what you want because you're giving everyone too much information. Just tell them there's now FIVE boxes at that address and the range needs to be updated appropriately. Your carrier can also put in through his union to have a box added to his route because he is paid based on the numbers of boxes he must deliver to.

If they press you for more information tell them you're renting out the attic/basement and it needs its own address for mail. Leave it at that.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Jeff Anderson I had a property that the entire time I owned it the USPS would not let me put up a post box because it was too close to the post office.

    When I sold the building within less than a week the new owners were out there installing a post box and had complained about it enough to the post master that he agreed to let them have one.

    Not quite the same issue. But sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease I guess.

  • Member since 2024 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    @Alecia Loveless I tried, however, the Postmaster basically said--'If I make an exception with you then that will open the floodgates for doing the same for other future requests.' 

  • Melanie P.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 922 votes
    2y

    I would try hanging another box. On the box clearly label it "BOX E" Then try sending mail to your address, box E. 

    Please post back and let me know how this works out if you give it a shot.

  • Member since 2024 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    Hi @Melanie P. I already checked with the Postmaster. The addressing system only has units 'A', 'B', 'C', and 'D' in their database. If the address doesn't fully match, it gets kicked back to Sender as "Unknown".

    According to USPS, my only recourse is having the City add a new address entry for only the street address (no apartment unit) in the system. They will only do this if I add a 5th unit (which takes me into commercial territory). So, yeah, government bureaucracy at its finest.

  • Melanie P.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 922 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jeff Anderson:

    Hi @Melanie P. I already checked with the Postmaster. The addressing system only has units 'A', 'B', 'C', and 'D' in their database. If the address doesn't fully match, it gets kicked back to Sender as "Unknown".

    According to USPS, my only recourse is having the City add a new address entry for only the street address (no apartment unit) in the system. They will only do this if I add a 5th unit (which takes me into commercial territory). So, yeah, government bureaucracy at its finest.


    If you add another box and keep sending mail to the that box you will be surprised to see that mail is delivered by your carrier. When it comes to the online tools for address verification you have to call the USPS AMS office and request they extend the RANGE of unit numbers/letters. Here is a link to look up your AMS office: https://postalpro.usps.com/ppro-tools/address-management-sys...

    You're not getting what you want because you're giving everyone too much information. Just tell them there's now FIVE boxes at that address and the range needs to be updated appropriately. Your carrier can also put in through his union to have a box added to his route because he is paid based on the numbers of boxes he must deliver to.

    If they press you for more information tell them you're renting out the attic/basement and it needs its own address for mail. Leave it at that.

  • Member since 2024 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    @Melanie P. you have some interesting suggestions and I'll give them a shot. I'll report back with what happens! Thanks.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    2y

    Your postmaster is correct. They only allow a box per dwelling. If they allowed you to install a generic box for the address, what's to prevent everyone with a multi-family from doing the same and thereby adding hundreds or thousands of addresses to a city?

    How expensive is a PO Box? $20 a month?

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Melanie P.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 922 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    Your postmaster is correct. They only allow a box per dwelling. If they allowed you to install a generic box for the address, what's to prevent everyone with a multi-family from doing the same and thereby adding hundreds or thousands of addresses to a city?

    How expensive is a PO Box? $20 a month?

    $400 per year where I am. There's nothing stopping anyone from doing anything except, in this case, asking permission. 
    This happens all the time. Think about multi-tenant office buildings where the interior is reconfigured, combined and separated as needed every time a new tenant moves in. 
  • Member since 2024 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    Your postmaster is correct. They only allow a box per dwelling. If they allowed you to install a generic box for the address, what's to prevent everyone with a multi-family from doing the same and thereby adding hundreds or thousands of addresses to a city?

    How expensive is a PO Box? $20 a month?


    @Nathan Gesner - Yeah, and imagine if USPS used that same argument for email addresses when that came out? That argument doesn't fly in the age of mobility and movement.

    I'm thankful that USPS never was able to get their hands on sending/receiving emails (remember?) in the early days of the Internet.

    Oh, $20/mo isn't a big deal. I just don't want that money going into a monopoly that provides marginal service.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    @Jeff Anderson  I have had a related issue with Verizon, they won't install internet for the building or let me add a unit that doesn't exist.  I have to fight that battle again in the spring. 

    For me, the post office delivers mail for the building to a unit depending on their mood of the day. No return to sender, just some tenants box.  You could get a virtual address but I haven't been able to get them to deliver to a box for the building. 

  • Member since 2024 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    @Colleen F. Interesting. I was able to request Internet service to my building with no issues. I literally told them (Sparklight) the service was for the building and had no difficulties obtaining this.

    I can see the day when there will no longer be USPS; by their own inflexibility to serve others and move toward the changing postal needs and desires of people, they have set in motion their obsolescence. If they keep it up, there will be a day soon when we will be talking about USPS as we today look back on the dial-up modem and the film camera.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 826 posts · 810 votes
    2y

    @Jeff Anderson just set up a virtual mailbox and get some services that are worth your extra cost ($100/yr). You get all your mail scanned electronically and you can forward anything that you want for a nominal fee.

    This saves you from having to check the mailbox as well.

  • Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Hey Jeff, that sounds like a frustrating runaround with USPS and the City. It's wild how they can't agree on whether your setup is cool or not. Bureaucracy at its finest! I feel your pain. Maybe try hitting up your local postman, sometimes they know the workaround that the higher-ups miss. Good luck, man!

  • Member since 2024 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    @Account Closed Thanks!

  • Melanie P.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 922 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Allan C.:

    @Jeff Anderson just set up a virtual mailbox and get some services that are worth your extra cost ($100/yr). You get all your mail scanned electronically and you can forward anything that you want for a nominal fee.

    This saves you from having to check the mailbox as well.

    The problem with PMBs (Private Mail Boxes) is if the company goes out of business or you wish to use a different option USPS doesn't allow you to forward your mail out of a PMB address. If they're still there you can just keep paying them until everything seems to have stopped but I had one go out of business once and have only used PO Box since then.

  • Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    I've heard you can pay for one of those mail boxes with several locked boxes in one unit. Like you see at apartment complexes.

    my landlord won't even get one of those. It's like he could care less if his tenants receive mail at their home or not! Including the inconvenience this causes his tenants because now they just added another expense having to pay for a P.O. Box and then having to go pick up their mail! For myself, I have no car, no one who can take me to town to get my mail. 

  • Melanie P.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 922 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Gayle A Santangelo:

    I've heard you can pay for one of those mail boxes with several locked boxes in one unit. Like you see at apartment complexes.

    my landlord won't even get one of those. It's like he could care less if his tenants receive mail at their home or not! Including the inconvenience this causes his tenants because now they just added another expense having to pay for a P.O. Box and then having to go pick up their mail! For myself, I have no car, no one who can take me to town to get my mail. 


     Cluster boxes only allowed in approved developments. Have you spoken with the post office about your issues receiving mail?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.