How many miles a year do you drive for travel deductions?

How many miles a year do you drive for travel deductions?

Point Pleasant, NJ · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 1 vote

How many miles do you drive a year for maintaining and everything else that involves your rental property, Repairs, maint, rent collection, inspections?

0Reply
39 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 619 posts · 128 votes
    12y

    I don't think there is a limit but best for a tax professional to answer...

    @Steven Hamilton II

  • Point Pleasant, NJ · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    yes I know, I was wondering how many high other landlords drive a year 3000, 5000 10000 miles a year? How many miles do you write off?

  • Michele FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    We hit 600 miles in 2013. Down from 900 in 2012.

    We live within 3 miles of all five properties and self manage, plus a few trips to the big city to get specialty parts/supplies.

    Meetings at Starbucks to discuss business are my favorite write off.

  • Real Estate Investor · Panama City, FL · Member since 2012 · 265 posts · 58 votes
    12y
    I don't do miles. I write of the gas, maintenance, payment, insurance. To me it's easier than miles and easier to prove.
  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    That's where they nailed me in my audit yet it was fully documented.

    So I resubmitted it by breaking it down specific to each property (& we have a lot). The mileage, the time there, reason why etc etc.

    It finally past scrutiny.

    & remember before you drive from home to the property you go to the hardware store, bank or post office on business : )

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.