Does anyone offer free month or incentives for longterm tenancy

Does anyone offer free month or incentives for longterm tenancy

Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes

I am a out of state investor. I am exploring some strategies that would lead to extra longterm tenants. I was thinking of a policy that I would give a free December or half off months rent as an incentive to never want to bail. These are for c+ sfh. I think if a tenant knew their holidays were going to be a little easier each year that this might be enough incentive to stay much longer-term. Are there any issues with this policy?

0Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Clive, IA · Member since 2013 · 141 posts · 89 votes
12y

I have not done any incentive. But just last month a long term tenant moved out of the area to go back to college and when they left the house SO clean with their deposit I sent another $100 and said thank you!

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Delaware, OH · Member since 2013 · 224 posts · 64 votes
    12y

    Hi Matt. There have been some other discussions along these lines, with some very good ideas. You should do a quick search.

    I haven't bonused tenants yet, but I'm planning on doing it this year. I have some excellent tenants who came with the duplex I bought last year. Just great, reasonable, hard-working folks, and I suspect they are going to stick around for a long time. I was just reviewing leases, and saw their 10-year anniversary is on valentines day (I've owned the place since last April). The hubby and I decided to give them a $100 gift card.

    I have another duplex with leases up this summer. I'm considering offering each side $50 if they renew for another year. Those two apartments are a cinch to rent - easily within a couple of days - so I'm not going to go overboard with an incentive. They are fairly trouble-free tenants as well.

    I think I'm going to stick with offering incentives on renewal dates, rather than the holidays.

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Pam R.:
    Hi Matt. There have been some other discussions along these lines, with some very good ideas. You should do a quick search.

    I haven't bonused tenants yet, but I'm planning on doing it this year.

    Thanks Pam, I will check. That sounds like a great Vday thought too.

    I think if they were in higher income areas I would not give away as much for sure. The gift card idea sounds like it's suited for that example. I'll bet no other landlord has done that for them before.

  • Minooka, IL · Member since 2013 · 353 posts · 85 votes
    12y

    In my rentals I already have them priced slightly below market, and they are A neighborhoods and rent within days so I stopped giving any inventive to stay. However I have one C home that I think I'll be giving a free month to if they stay.

  • Investor · Delaware, OH · Member since 2013 · 224 posts · 64 votes
    12y

    Matt - my properties all run around $600/month.I don't think the $50 is going to convince anyone to stay per se - but it may create some general goodwill and help foster a better relationship. I think it helps that tenants see us as "people," and not just landlords.

  • Clive, IA · Member since 2013 · 141 posts · 89 votes
    12y

    I have not done any incentive. But just last month a long term tenant moved out of the area to go back to college and when they left the house SO clean with their deposit I sent another $100 and said thank you!

  • Contractor · Easton, PA · Member since 2013 · 152 posts · 58 votes
    12y

    Typically my average rent is $1200 per month and with my better units where I get more I do not offer discounts for a long term lease. With my entry level units that rent for $1,000 for a 2 bedroom 1 bath townhouse that I built in 1974 I reduce the rent by $50 for a two year lease. These units at the lower end seem to have a higher turnover rate so this incentive helps my keep the unit occupied longer.

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Tami R.:
    I have not done any incentive. But just last month a long term tenant moved out of the area to go back to college and when they left the house SO clean with their deposit I sent another $100 and said thank you!


    Hi Tami, I like that good landlord karma you are creating.
  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Martin Zawarski:
    Typically my average rent is $1200 per month and with my better units where I get more I do not offer discounts for a long term lease.

    Hi Martin, that sounds like a good incentive. I wonder if $600 off every December as example would have any effect on perceived renter incentive? I will be renting all homes month to month as policy.
  • Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2012 · 128 posts · 56 votes
    12y

    It's often too easy to focus on getting new customers/renters versus retaining and thanking the current ones.

    @Pam R. like the anniversary gift. I bet it made their day.

    @Tami R. how thoughtful, especially for a student. Plus less than having to hire a move out service.

    I'm happy to offer a small monthly discount ($25-50) for 24 month terms.

    I've tried promotions during winter months when it's harder to find renters, but without much interest. I then rented for regular price when traffic picked up.

  • Wholesaler · Lenoir, NC · Member since 2013 · 297 posts · 127 votes
    12y

    If a tenanet pays the rent on time and is reliable I give a couple of hundred dollars off of there deember payment.

  • Investor · Charlotte, MI · Member since 2012 · 32 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    As others have mentioned, December seems to be the time that i give an incentive for the past year. Typically, I give a gift card to a restaurant or near by store. Treat people as you would want to be treated if you were there. - Golden Rule.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.