LLC for vacation home, how to divide percentage between 2 members

LLC for vacation home, how to divide percentage between 2 members

Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 1 vote

Hello,

My brother and I are building a vacation home on land that was inherited, and are planning to covert the deed into an LLC when construction is complete. The down payment for the loan is the value of the land , owned free and clear, so 50/50. If only one of us qualifies for the loan, and assumes financial risk, should the LLC maintain a 50/50 split? All duties outlined in the operating agreement will be split equitably.

Thanks

Frank

1Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Theresa HarrisPro Member
Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
3y

I'd do everything 50/50 as it is simpler.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    I'd do everything 50/50 as it is simpler.

  • Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    Thanks Theresa,

    I forgot to mention, the person who qualified for the loan made investments to improve the land, prior to drawing from the construction loan, totaling around 170k. More money will be spent most likely to offset overruns before the project is complete. Would it be preferable to adjust the percentage ownership, or detail repayment in the operating agreement? Or something else?

  • Realtor · Gulf Shores, AL · Member since 2020 · 153 posts · 76 votes
    3y

    I agree with Theresa. Keep it simple and do 50/50. Don't overthink it. 

  • Jake AndronicoBusiness Member
    Realtor · Reno, NV · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 938 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Frank M.:

    Hello,

    My brother and I are building a vacation home on land that was inherited, and are planning to covert the deed into an LLC when construction is complete. The down payment for the loan is the value of the land , owned free and clear, so 50/50. If only one of us qualifies for the loan, and assumes financial risk, should the LLC maintain a 50/50 split? All duties outlined in the operating agreement will be split equitably.

    Thanks

    Frank

    Frank, 

    While I agree a 50/50 split is "easier" for multiple reasons, it sounds like each brother will bring different things to the table. 

    At the end of the day, it's what you and your brother can decide on and put into writing. 

    I'm also in Reno and would be super curious to see plans of the vacation home you're building if you're willing to share!! :)
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.