Heat pumps in Chicago

Heat pumps in Chicago

Svend W.Pro Member
Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 31 votes
Hi, all

I have an old 2 flat which needs central heat and AC to be added (it currently has gas powered fireplaces and a window AC).

I'm leaning towards going with heat pumps for the following reasons:
* One appliance instead of 2 appliances (i.e., furnace and AC), hopefully reducing maintenance
* Is installed outside, saving space
* It seems to be more cost-effective than a gas-powered furnace over the long term

I will be installing ducts.

I've read warnings about air pumps in cold areas, though.

Curious what people think about this reasoning and/or whether there are types I should use or avoid.

Thanks in advance.




1Reply
36 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y

    I have heard that too...........heat pumps are no good in cold climates. I had one in my house in Toronto Canada. Worked great summer and winter.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Svend W.:
    Hi, all

    I have an old 2 flat which needs central heat and AC to be added (it currently has gas powered fireplaces and a window AC).

    I'm leaning towards going with heat pumps for the following reasons:
    * One appliance instead of 2 appliances (i.e., furnace and AC), hopefully reducing maintenance
    * Is installed outside, saving space
    * It seems to be more cost-effective than a gas-powered furnace over the long term

    I will be installing ducts.

    I've read warnings about air pumps in cold areas, though.

    Curious what people think about this reasoning and/or whether there are types I should use or avoid.

    Thanks in advance.





     You can get a heat pump that has a gas unit built into the airhandler.  This works pretty well.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.