Property management expectations

Property management expectations

Investor · Gulf Breeze, FL · Member since 2012 · 41 posts · 3 votes

I am new to the game and have some questions as I have recently started to question my choice in PM. Or....maybe I'm expecting too much?

Since I haven't had any other PM other than the one I am currently with I don't have much to compare to and can't really gauge the quality of the service.

I pay 10%/mo and half of the first months rent. I have gone through a few tenants with them on 2 different properties.

They don't do scheduled inspections.

They actually wanted to charge me if I wanted them to go out and do inspections.

The only time they inspect is when the maintenance guy goes over to the unit, example... to fix a leak etc. (I have never received inspection feedback after any of his visits).

Now...this causes issues. The grandmother of one tenant smoked in her room the entire year she was there and we were completely unaware it was happening. I'd like to think this should have been caught.

Sidenote: I feel stupid for not catching this myself but the lease said nothing about not being able to smoke in the rental. When I confronted my PM he simply explained that they hadn't ever had a problem with smokers inside the house. "Most people understand that its not to be done". I suggested that we rewrite the lease and he offered a separate form for future tenants to sign vs adding it to their standard lease.

Another tenant in a different house decided to repaint the kitchen an ugly green and even remove/upgrade some of the windows/frames. They also had a big dog that they kept inside and outside. No pets allowed. Destroyed carpet and huge flea infestation.

Needless to say I started to question how often my PM's actually get out to the property. They seem to do a great job at advertising and screening tenants but it feels like that's all I am paying them for.

Id really like to get the opinions of both owners AND managers if able.

Am I expecting too much for quarterly or even a 6 month inspection? My Realtor suggested that I may just want to "change the air filter" each month and do them myself.

Also I could see a lack of inspections for me paying 5-7% but from reading forums it sounds as if I am paying top dollar for PM services.

Thanks

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 227 posts · 158 votes
12y

I would say find a property management company that does what YOU want them to do?

I'm assuming you have a contract with them. Don't be afraid to break it.

PM is a competitive business. Don't be afraid to tell them what you want. Shop around to find another PM and then when you find a PM company that meets your needs then go to your current PM and tell them what you want.

I think you ARE paying premium for you PM so you shouldn't be getting barebones service. Don't be afraid to be hard on them to get what you want.

I hope this helps and good luck.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 227 posts · 158 votes
    12y

    I would say find a property management company that does what YOU want them to do?

    I'm assuming you have a contract with them. Don't be afraid to break it.

    PM is a competitive business. Don't be afraid to tell them what you want. Shop around to find another PM and then when you find a PM company that meets your needs then go to your current PM and tell them what you want.

    I think you ARE paying premium for you PM so you shouldn't be getting barebones service. Don't be afraid to be hard on them to get what you want.

    I hope this helps and good luck.

  • Investor · Gulf Breeze, FL · Member since 2012 · 41 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    Thanks for the feedback, Steve. I will have to do some research in my area.

    I don't mind if I need to end up doing my own inspections but was just curious what the norm was with most of you in the BP community.

  • Michele FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I manage myself, so can't answer your main question, but wanted to chime in on frequency of inspections. Might be good to do quarterly for new tenants, but annual once you feel comfortable they are respecting your rules and the property. Frequent inspections are a big drain and often bring extra maintenance costs as tenants ask for borderline improvements.

    How long have your tenants stayed?

  • Investor · Gulf Breeze, FL · Member since 2012 · 41 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    They have all been 12 month leases.

  • Will GastonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Rich Cavanagh in that if you go over to the house too much, it might end up costing you more.

  • Investor · Gulf Breeze, FL · Member since 2012 · 41 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    @Will Gaston Yea I've thought of that too. One benefit I have is they have no idea who I am so I can easily pass myself off as a maintenance man. lol Worst case I can handle 6 month inspections myself but I'll have to ask around to other PM's.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    I would saying having an unauthorized dog isn't good screening. However the issue on the smoking you need to have that in the lease.

    I would interview other PM companies to see what the competition gives and go back to them with that. They should be doing inspections for that amount I would think. Our company does although I am not sure about the regular nature of the inspections.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.