Tenant reports multiple repairs a month before the end of lease

Tenant reports multiple repairs a month before the end of lease

Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 0 votes

My tenants have been living in my property for less than a year and their lease ends next month.

Recently, they reported that the one of the bedroom door is falling off from the hinge, which has been ongoing for months and they've been trying to 'fix it.' They demanded immediate repair so I arranged a handyman service for the next available appointment. When I talked to the handyman about the situation and showed him the picture my tenants have sent me, I was told that it was most likely that the screws that attached the hinge and the door got loose due to force beyond normal use. I'm sure there can be other reasons for this, but it is unlikely due to age as my property was fully renovated <5 years ago. Also, my tenants rescheduled and then canceled the appointment I have set up for this matter unless I promise them to pay for the repairs. I told them I cannot make any promises if it is beyond normal wear and tear, which is only possible when someone actually checks out the situation. 


Since then they have been filing multiple repair reports (apparently there is also a bathroom door that is loose) saying I have rented them an 'old property that is falling apart.' 

I'm guessing I had bad luck signing a lease with irresponsible tenants that are making no sense and should push through this last month with dealing them, but would love any advice on this matter as they are slowly eating me up. 

Also, I'm in the process of getting a rental property manager to get some peace and hope they can help me out on this. 

Anyway, thank you in advance for any help or advice on the matter. And Happy New Year!

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Ann Yu:

It sounds as though they are trying to get you to repair things to ensure they are not charged for anything after departure.

Personally, I would tell them that if it doesn't affect the function, then it can wait until they depart. If the door is loose, but it still opens/closes, it can wait. If they are worried about you charging them for things they aren't responsible for, just tell them you are honest and will handle the deposit according to the law and the lease, then shut the conversation down.


The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ann Yu:

    It sounds as though they are trying to get you to repair things to ensure they are not charged for anything after departure.

    Personally, I would tell them that if it doesn't affect the function, then it can wait until they depart. If the door is loose, but it still opens/closes, it can wait. If they are worried about you charging them for things they aren't responsible for, just tell them you are honest and will handle the deposit according to the law and the lease, then shut the conversation down.


    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    3y
  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
    Quote from @Ann Yu:

    It sounds as though they are trying to get you to repair things to ensure they are not charged for anything after departure.

    Personally, I would tell them that if it doesn't affect the function, then it can wait until they depart. If the door is loose, but it still opens/closes, it can wait. If they are worried about you charging them for things they aren't responsible for, just tell them you are honest and will handle the deposit according to the law and the lease, then shut the conversation down. 



    Thank you for your advice! I really appreciate it :)
  • Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Unless they're ripping the doors out, it shouldn't be a big deal to secure the hinges. You could even do this yourself to save money. I would 100% consider it wear and tear, and thats why i check all the doors and doorknobs when I go to the property. Tenants will always be harder on a property than the owner. Thats part of why you make profit on it. 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    I'd just say no to some of the things as there is no way TWO doors will magically become loose on their own-one perhaps, but two suggests a kid is hanging from them or they are doing something.  Any repairs that are not urgent, tell them you will deal with them once they move out at the end of their lease. Make sure you give them notice that their lease is not being renewed.

    If they cancel an appointment, make sure your next lease states that they are responsible for the cancellation fee.  I'd also make sure you are available to be at the home. It is great if the tenant is there to let the contractor in, but doesn't always work.

  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Andrew B.:

    Unless they're ripping the doors out, it shouldn't be a big deal to secure the hinges. You could even do this yourself to save money. I would 100% consider it wear and tear, and thats why i check all the doors and doorknobs when I go to the property. Tenants will always be harder on a property than the owner. Thats part of why you make profit on it. 

    That's a valid point! And yes tenants may not be as gentle as I'd like and I understand things can when there are kids living in the house. I always try to be reasonable and consider wear and tear first. I just didn't want to make any promises before I actually get to check the state of the door! Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. :)
  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Theresa Harris:

    I'd just say no to some of the things as there is no way TWO doors will magically become loose on their own-one perhaps, but two suggests a kid is hanging from them or they are doing something.  Any repairs that are not urgent, tell them you will deal with them once they move out at the end of their lease. Make sure you give them notice that their lease is not being renewed.

    If they cancel an appointment, make sure your next lease states that they are responsible for the cancellation fee.  I'd also make sure you are available to be at the home. It is great if the tenant is there to let the contractor in, but doesn't always work.


     Thanks for the advice! I'll make sure the next lease includes the cancelation fee like you said, its a brilliant way to handle incidents like mine!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.