Landlord liabilities for tenant relocation rent and costs

Landlord liabilities for tenant relocation rent and costs

Elizabeth, CO · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 1 vote

Does anyone have a Colorado law reference that details the landlord's financial liabilities if a rental property becomes uninhabitable due to something outside of the normal Landlord or tenant's control (i.e. natural or human caused  disaster, system failure like sewer or city water breaks etc.?). Specifically, is the landlord financially responsible for securing another residence for the tenant and assuming all housing rent & relocation costs until the landlord's rental house is once again considered in a habitable state? With some of the latest news stories for apartment complex fires etc., it doesn't seem so, but...

I also know there's a legal option to let the tenant break the lease without penalty and move somewhere else, but they may not want to depending on the situation.

I do have a somewhat vague, but contradictory clause that waives my liability for all uninhabitability claims in the lease. However, it also says "except for those included in state habitability requirement laws" which unfortunately overlap. For example, the plumbing isn't working if there a city sewage system issue that impact the premises or a tornado blows through and takes the walls down. I also have a "high recommendation" for them to secure a "Renter's insurance" policy stated in the lease which should cover them, but I don't require them to have it. 

Thanks in advance

0Reply
16 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • CO · Member since 2022 · 588 posts · 426 votes
    3y

    Hey Ken, I think you should definitely talk to a local Real Estate attorney as they can provide much better advice and possibly help you avoid more costs in the long run. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y

    Not an attorney.

    I don't have time to read it for you, but I found a 13-page guide on this particular subject that probably includes the answer, or at least some suggestions. You may want to consult an attorney.

    https://coloradohousingconnect...

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Elizabeth, CO · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    Thanks for the response Brett and I'm doing that this morning.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.