Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y
If you have a smoker on whom you can smell smoke now it will follow them. If you meet someone who says I am a smoker and you normally can't smell smoke on them then it is unlikely they smoke enough outside to stink up the inside of your house. I don't say it you will never smell it but for this person it seems like you could walk past them and say smoker. Probably not good if you want a non-smoking roommate.
Yes. The inside will smell. Their clothes will stink and it will fester throughout the house.
Ah. That's what I was afraid of.
I could smell it a few feet away from him. I was hoping that smell if smoking outside wouldn't make the whole house smell too. Makes sense that the smell would fester and smell up the place. Does it stink it up bad, or just barely?
@Rob K. Does paint and flooring generally remove the smoker smell? Also do you just refuse to rent to smokers entirely to avoid this issue?
Bill:
Not necessarily. It depends on the degree and duration of exposure. It is not unheard to have to replace drywall to remove the odour and residue. There have been some recent studies showing the toxins from past smokers can be found on surfaces in a home years after the smoker no longer lives there. It was also shown that painting only temporarily seals in these residues and they eventually make there way to the surface again whee they can be readily absorbed by the new inhabitants, exspecially small children
As an extreme example, a friend of mine bought a house at an estate sale where the lady who previously owned it had smoked therein for the better part of 30 years. It took a back to the studs gut to rid the house of the odour and residue.
Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y
There's a product that works great for smoke odors. (Cat odors too). I spray one of these anytime a house smells like smoke, cat, bad credit, white trash, etc.
After Fire Spray
I buy them for under $5 each locally. It's like those foggers for bugs. (The ones that don't work).
As far as smokers go, many of my tenants smoke. I have it in the lease that smoking is outdoors only and most respect that rule.
Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y
@Bill Mitchell I haven't really had a problem. I suppose they might smoke inside once in a while, but it hasn't been an issue. I have purchased houses where the walls and windows are yellow, but that's usually from a chain smoking hermit that is always home.
Most people these days are used to smoking outside at work and know they will need to smoke outside at home. Often times, they would like to smoke outside and just need someone to tell them that it's the rule.
Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2013 · 76 posts · 30 votes
12y
I lived with a friend who was a smoker. Like a pack a day type of smoker. I don't smoke & the smell really bothers me. If I was in the same room as her I could definitely tell if she just smoked, but the house never smelled like cigarets.
Interesting. It seems like I'll have to reject this otherwise good candidate. I don't want to let a small amount of rent money potentially cause thousands in damage to a nice home. And, I sure don't want to smell it inside. Would third hand smoke cause any health effects if they smoke outside and I live inside?
I would imagine that my tenant would eventually smoke inside here if they have to walk downstairs, stand in the crappy weather here in freezing rain, 15 feet from the doorway. That, or they would end up smoking leaning out the window.
If I had balconies or downstairs places, I bet they might be more inclined to smoke outside. Or if our weather didn't suck so bad and there was a comfortable outdoor lounge area to smoke on.
This tenant also is home a lot since they can do their work anywhere, so I would imagine they would be more inclined to smoke inside at some point if home 24/7.
Have you found people willing to walk all the way downstairs to smoke each time in upstairs properties without balconies?
Maastricht, The Netherlands · Member since 2013 · 131 posts · 18 votes
12y
Actually, if you rent to smokers, then smokers won't mind renting. Dead simple logic, I know, but there is a demographic ;-)
The bigger problem is if the wallpaint starts to color from the smoke. I was viewing an old house two weeks ago, you could see the halo from where a cross and several paintings were before. The previous owner was a pipe smoker.
You shouldn't have to worry about the odor in my experience, there are tons of ways to get rid of anything lingering. If you go down this road, after all, what's stopping you from not allowing dogs either? Have you ever noticed how long that stench stays if the owners aren't the most hygienic type?
Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y
@Scott W. I buy them at a janitorial supply place near my rentals. My friend's father in law owns a janitorial company and buys his products there. The guy who cleans carpets for me buy all his stuff there as well. They sell a lot of commercial type heavy duty chemicals. For example, they have a purple liquid that costs $13 per gallon, but it eats grease.
Try a janitorial supply in your area and see if they have it. If they don't "deal with the public", just make up a company name.
If you have a smoker on whom you can smell smoke now it will follow them. If you meet someone who says I am a smoker and you normally can't smell smoke on them then it is unlikely they smoke enough outside to stink up the inside of your house. I don't say it you will never smell it but for this person it seems like you could walk past them and say smoker. Probably not good if you want a non-smoking roommate.
This person asked if they could smoke outside. I said not on property. They said "no big deal" and checked "non-smoker" on the rental application. Ummm, I.... can.... smell.... it. Clearly a smoker saying non-smoker. Good reason to deny?
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y
Yes, it is and smokers are not a protected class. I don't allow smoking inside and prefer no smoking. One house is furnished and we had some challenging students there. I did not do the cleaning myself so imagine my surprise when my son removed the couch cushion and half of it was burned. A burn about 18 inches wide and into the cushion. I didn't care about the couch so much as the safety risk so that is why I don't allow smoking.. Sometimes what people say and what they do is entirely different.
Yes, it is and smokers are not a protected class. I don't allow smoking inside and prefer no smoking. One house is furnished and we had some challenging students there. I did not do the cleaning myself so imagine my surprise when my son removed the couch cushion and half of it was burned. A burn about 18 inches wide and into the cushion. I didn't care about the couch so much as the safety risk so that is why I don't allow smoking.. Sometimes what people say and what they do is entirely different.
Yikes. Aside from the smell, I would be worried about the fire risk also.
Luckily this guy lying about the smoking issue made me wonder what else on his application was bogus. So, I checked court records more. Turns out that he was evicted earlier this year and not living with an ex- as he said. Sheesh.
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y
@ Jon K. Good for you that you caught that! The fact he would lie about the smoking is one of those red flags you can't ignore. Hopefully you will find the right tenant after a few of these duds..
@ Jon K. Good for you that you caught that! The fact he would lie about the smoking is one of those red flags you can't ignore. Hopefully you will find the right tenant after a few of these duds..
True, him lying so casually about not smoking made me think "huh? No one can quit smoking in 5 seconds."
He also purposely made his application hard to read-- other than where it said income. He gave no landlord phone number, made his previous landlord's name nearly illegible, no previous lease date, etc. All sorts of red flags on this one. I'm glad he was a smoker... that made me look into things more.
Hudson, WI · Member since 2012 · 189 posts · 30 votes
12y
Good lesson for you. Don't wait for the smell of smoke to hit your nose, before you do your diligence in checking out tenants, unless you enjoy migraines.