Flood Insurance Story

Flood Insurance Story

Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 231 posts · 260 votes

I have a story with flood insurance that I wanted to share as I thought it may help someone out there.

A couple years ago I was in escrow on a 4-plex and the bank doing my loan said I needed flood insurance since my property was in a flood zone. This surprised me since the property was not near any creeks or mountains and is even in a little bit of a hilly area and it is not at the lowest elevation. I looked at the flood zone maps and indeed my side of the street was in the zone. For basic flood insurance that would satisfy the lender, I was quoted over $2,000. This is something I would have to pay year after year and would have probably torpedeod the deal in my eyes (this was a short sale and I going back to the bank for a big reduction for this would have been difficult at best)

Looking at the property, the map made no sense to me, since my neighbors property behind me was about 5 feet lower than this property. The only way this could flood is if a wall of water came rushing in, because it would pool in lower elevations. Also, the prop. had a raised foundation so if anything could get flooded it would be the crawl space. I asked if the seller was paying this flood insurance and yes they were paying over $2k per year. I was pretty upset as it is not easy to find properties here and I was potentially going to lose this over what I thought was a useless flood insurance requirement.

I called the insurance company and told them the facts and finally did get them to acknowledge if there were flood vents in the crawl space I could get a reduced rate since the crawl space was higher than the 2 foot flood zone listed on the map. The property didn't have flood vents, but it did have a lot of vents. I called back and asked about this and yes, they did grant the reduction if the total size of the vents met a certain requirement. I measured and was just short, but found out the rate would be reduced from over $2k to $250.

I ended up closing on the property and had the $2k sent in for the premium as part of escrow as the bank required, but had another vent installed a few days after close. Took pictures and sent all the measurements back to the insurance company and they granted me the refund and the overall reduction in rates a few days later.

Point is I never would have known if I didn't investigate and since the prior owner had no knowledge of this I am sure there are other owners out there with the same issue that could get quite a benefit. $2k a year is a big deal.

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Colleen F.Pro Member
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
12y

Interesting story. I would caution on the issue of a useless flood insurance requirement that you shouldn't assume just because you can't see a body of water that you are not in a flood zone or it will never flood. You would never know in the area that I grew up that you were on a flood plain. It wasn't at the beach and the creek was half a mile away but it flooded many times growing up and it got worse and worse over the years until the foundation went in Sandy. We hope to close the book on this house this year but I have learned more about flood insurance then I ever wanted to know.

Kudo's to you for getting the premium reduced. I always find insurance rates a mystery but questioning them really paid off in this case!

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Interesting story. I would caution on the issue of a useless flood insurance requirement that you shouldn't assume just because you can't see a body of water that you are not in a flood zone or it will never flood. You would never know in the area that I grew up that you were on a flood plain. It wasn't at the beach and the creek was half a mile away but it flooded many times growing up and it got worse and worse over the years until the foundation went in Sandy. We hope to close the book on this house this year but I have learned more about flood insurance then I ever wanted to know.

    Kudo's to you for getting the premium reduced. I always find insurance rates a mystery but questioning them really paid off in this case!

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 231 posts · 260 votes
    12y

    Thanks. I probably should have not said worthless requirement. I do think the possibility is remote based on the geography. It would almost have to be a flash food like you see in the desert and even then it is not ever expected to rise to the level of the actual habitable part of the building, but at the least I am covered.

  • Real Estate Agent · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    With the new flood insurance act that just went in place Oct 1, the news is full of horrible flood insurance premium stories, so nice to hear a positive one!

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 228 posts · 30 votes
    12y

    Thanks for sharing. We are currently shopping for flood insurance and good to know that a reduction is possible if you ask the right questions. Does this reduce your monthly expense by $100/month? If so, let Al Williamson know and you can get a Home Depot gift card!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.