Waynesboro, PA · Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 9 votes
Question: Can MF properties be used with section 8?
Hey everyone! I am curious as to whether or not section 8 vouchers work in multi family homes? So, I've been intrigued lately by both MFH investing and section 8 rentals and I was curious if you can have section 8 qualified properties that are duplexes, triplexes, etc.
I've done some research on Google and haven't found whether or not they limit section 8 vouchers to single family homes or not and therefore wasn't sure.
Additionally, are the HUD max rents posted each year for each county for SFH, MFH, etc or just SFH? Just as long as the unit fits inside the criteria (1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, etc).
If so you'd think either one agency or the other would have their act together enough to cover this poor lady's rent 100% without her having to piecemeal it together (maybe she got that debilitating neck drop that prevents her from working from looking down so long while filling out the forms from so many agencies looking for help).
She was renting a 1bedroom apartment for $650, which was one of our more affordable units.
This is why I hate social services. Paper pushers making $35,000 a year could care less how tax money is spent. Politicians can't possibly develop a program that treats everyone fairly. So the 26-year-old single mom of three works on the side for cash and ends up with housing nicer than any of her peers that work full-time jobs while laying on her back and getting pregnant with child #4 but the elderly woman that is incapable of working has to live in poverty.
I worked for Dept of Family Services for 18 months and saw ridiculous amounts of fraud, waste, and abuse. I the state would have hired just one investigator for the county at $50,000 a year, I guarantee that investigator would pay for his salary 4x over in the first year.
Investor · hampton, VA · Member since 2009 · 428 posts · 249 votes
4y
Hey My friend, I love this question. The fact is, Section 8 has been extremely good to me over the years. They've paid OFF several of my houses. YES, they do allow us to rent to multifamily. It's been my saving grace all through this pandemic. You must prescreen them but after that, your rent is gold for the next 12 months. Get out there and make it happen. Oh, u can check the comp rents by simply getting the list of others on the market down at the housing dept. They will do a rent reasonableness test so you simply can't charge anything you want.. Vote me up if this helps!!!
Question: Can MF properties be used with section 8?
Hey everyone! I am curious as to whether or not section 8 vouchers work in multi family homes? So, I've been intrigued lately by both MFH investing and section 8 rentals and I was curious if you can have section 8 qualified properties that are duplexes, triplexes, etc.
I've done some research on Google and haven't found whether or not they limit section 8 vouchers to single family homes or not and therefore wasn't sure.
Additionally, are the HUD max rents posted each year for each county for SFH, MFH, etc or just SFH? Just as long as the unit fits inside the criteria (1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, etc).
Section 8 is available for apartments or houses. The amount one will qualify for is based on their income, size of unit, and maybe some other factors. A single mother of three may qualify for $1,100 a month while a 63-year-old woman with debilitating neck drop that prevents her from working may only get $215.
I accept Section 8, but only if they're willing to pay market rate. I recently had an applicant apply for a $1,200 house and HUD asked me to lower the price to $800 so the individual could afford it. HA!
Question: Can MF properties be used with section 8?
The amount one will qualify for is based on their income, size of unit, and maybe some other factors.
A single mother of three may qualify for $1,100 a month while a
63-year-old woman with debilitating neck drop that prevents her from working may only get $215.
Hi Nathan,
So how does the 63 year old woman with a debilitating neck drop that prevents her from working get the cash to pay for the remainder of the rent; disability payments ???
If so you'd think either one agency or the other would have their act together enough to cover this poor lady's rent 100% without her having to piecemeal it together (maybe she got that debilitating neck drop that prevents her from working from looking down so long while filling out the forms from so many agencies looking for help).
Or does $215 cover some rentals in your area (trailer homes)?
If so you'd think either one agency or the other would have their act together enough to cover this poor lady's rent 100% without her having to piecemeal it together (maybe she got that debilitating neck drop that prevents her from working from looking down so long while filling out the forms from so many agencies looking for help).
She was renting a 1bedroom apartment for $650, which was one of our more affordable units.
This is why I hate social services. Paper pushers making $35,000 a year could care less how tax money is spent. Politicians can't possibly develop a program that treats everyone fairly. So the 26-year-old single mom of three works on the side for cash and ends up with housing nicer than any of her peers that work full-time jobs while laying on her back and getting pregnant with child #4 but the elderly woman that is incapable of working has to live in poverty.
I worked for Dept of Family Services for 18 months and saw ridiculous amounts of fraud, waste, and abuse. I the state would have hired just one investigator for the county at $50,000 a year, I guarantee that investigator would pay for his salary 4x over in the first year.