How To Collect Rent With Property Held In Land Trust?

How To Collect Rent With Property Held In Land Trust?

Parrish, FL · Member since 2011 · 4 posts · 1 vote

So I have a property that I put in a land trust with a relative as the trustee and the beneficiary as an LLC. My question is, who do I have the tenant make checks out to?

The relative is basically managing the property 100% for me and will be collecting rents anyways, just curious if anyone here knows the best way to go about handling it?

Thanks in advance

0Reply
33 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought a land trust is like an 'agreement for deed' , in that you might sell a property on a land trust and keep the deed in escrow, until the buyer has paid you off.

    Are you talking about a land trust or are you talking about a trust?

  • Parrish, FL · Member since 2011 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    Basically the title is held in the trustee's name and the beneficial interest in another individual's name/LLC. The land trust makes it easy to transfer beneficial interest from one beneficiary to another without needing to change the deed/title, which can get expensive.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    Jay, have the checks made out to your LLC if you want.

    Michaela, no, a land trust is simply a shell type entity used for asset protection and anonymity, among other things, like a simplified LLC

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    I was a blonde when I wrote that, what can I say ;-)

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Depends on the State as some Trustees have to maintain an active duty to the Trust. So having the Rent made out to them for the benefit of the Trust would keep them active per se. BUT I would check with your FL state attorney.

    "A trustee is the person who holds legal title to the trust property for the benefit of another person and who must carry out specific duties with regard to the trust property."

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.