Investor · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 0 votes
We have three tenants who owe a combined $46,000. They all applied for Covid rental relief. One was denied and the other two will not complete the necessary paperwork. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir on this site, but it is incredibly frustrating that they were allowed to not pay rent by just saying they were affected by Covid, but in order for us to receive funds, they have to prove it.
The NAA has a lawsuit has filed a federal lawsuit, but I'm curious if there is a suit against California by California owners.
Newport Coast, CA · Member since 2014 · 95 posts · 73 votes
4y
I'm sure some landlords have filed a lawsuit. I know the Southern California Rental Housing Association organization also has started filing a lawsuit against the state of California.
Although the chances of anyone of them being able to win in court is slim to nil.
I have an ex-tenant that owes me 28K and I've filed the paperwork for small claims court already and waiting for the courts to assign a date. Yes, slim chance of getting anything back but the object is to trash the tenant's credit score for the next 10 years.
I even called the Governor's office and the Landlords Covid Rental relief organizations and voiced my displeasure with the covid assistance rules that require the cooperation of the tenant. My ex-tenant wasn't cooperating much either so both the covid assistance I filled out got rejected so I have to pursue small claims court.
Terrible laws in California that favors the tenants and throw the landlords under the bus. They are forcing us to provide free service when no other industry in the US does this. The landlords are the only ones.