Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jon K.
Votes |
Rent a Home Depot DIY carpet steamer or get Stanley/commercial service?

Jon K.
Posted Sep 15 2013, 03:39

I've realized that my carpet is way behind the Woolite carpet stain remover stage. But, I'm also not going to replace the carpet right now. I tried vinegar/baking soda, dollar store cleaners, and Woolite (worked, but would need way too many bottles for the house to make this cost effective).

Do those $50 Home Depot carpet steam cleaners work well?

Do they work better than Bissel home steam cleaners?

Do they compare to Stainley Steamer/commercial companies?

I've got pet pee, water leak stains, and misc. crap on the carpet. I've used Stanley before and had success in removing similar stains, but the house is huge and Stanely gets expensive with my large square footage. The deals I've seen don't cover anywhere near the square footage I've got. And it's beige carpet throughout. Like I noted, replacing the carpet is not an option right now.

Is there really a noticeable difference between Stanley Steamer, Bissell home steam cleaners, and $50 rent a steamer (SteamDoc?)

User Stats

Votes
Pat L.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Upstate, NY
Votes |
  • Upstate, NY
Replied Sep 15 2013, 05:13

We have used all the local 'splash & dash' $99 special crowd but they are useless. I threw the last crowd out of my daughters home because it was a mess.

I mix Fabuloso in with a chem cleaning agent we get in 5 gall pails from a local chem company as little else was working on tough stains, like red wine, dog & cat etc etc. I then borrow this (10 yr old) machine a fellow investor bought & it has been unbelievable. It has also been very effective on the carpet areas in our commercial properties as well.

User Stats

Votes
Jon K.
Votes |
Replied Sep 15 2013, 18:13

That RugDoctor looks just like the $50 Home Depot one here. I'll have to try it.

What kind of cleaning compound do you use? Fabuloso... just the multi-purpose cleaning spray?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Sean Kuhn
  • Minooka, IL
Votes |
  • Minooka, IL
Replied Sep 15 2013, 18:36

I use a local steamer. He charges on average 50 dollars a room and I can't believe the stains he can remove. For that price I'll leave it to the pros.

User Stats

Votes
Jon K.
Votes |
Replied Sep 16 2013, 00:57
Originally posted by Sean Kuhn:
I use a local steamer. He charges on average 50 dollars a room and I can't believe the stains he can remove. For that price I'll leave it to the pros.

Nice. How'd you find him? If I paid $50 a room, that would run in the hundreds. Tempted to rent the $50 steamer at Home Depot and do the whole house myself.

User Stats

Votes
Ann Bellamy
  • Lender
  • Tyngsboro, MA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Tyngsboro, MA
Replied Sep 16 2013, 03:47

I've used the Home Depot type that looks just like the Rug Doctor above. (not the grocery store type) It does a good job, sometimes you may have to go over it twice. Does a decent job of removing the water afterward, too.

One note about pet pee odors: Once you have used any chemical cleaner on the stains, it is then too late to use the enzymatic odor removers. The chemicals interfere with with enzyme process. I use Urine Gone, but I'm told Natures Miracle does a good job too. So take the time to first use the odor removers, and let those dry. the drying process is what removes the odor. Then go for the cleaning part.

User Stats

Votes
Pat L.
  • Upstate, NY
Votes |
  • Upstate, NY
Replied Sep 16 2013, 05:56
Originally posted by Jon K.:
That RugDoctor looks just like the $50 Home Depot one here. I'll have to try it. What kind of cleaning compound do you use? Fabuloso... just the multi-purpose cleaning spray?

pic worth 1000 words. Fabuloso is a great cleaner & it smells good. We also use it on windows (no streaks like windex) & granite etc.

I use well dissolved TSP in the Rug Dr for bad stains esp the stairs but the Deca Clean product is fantastic if you ca get it. They also have a carpet rinse product.