Pay off student loan or open LLC and file for a utility patent?

Pay off student loan or open LLC and file for a utility patent?

Member since 2023 · 1 post · 1 vote

Hello, I have a question of what is the best financial strategy. 

In Jan 2024 I will have $17k in savings. And I can use it to pay off $14k in Sallie Mae loan. I have more loans than that, but this one is the highest monthly payment from my private loans. I make roughly $5k a month after taxes. And my expenses (including federal and private loans) add up to be about $4700 a month, leaving me with $300 that I can put away in savings. If I pay off Sallie Mae, I will have $650 left to put away in savings each month. 

I have an idea for a board game to sell and in the future to turn into a digital product. If I choose to file for an LLC and a utility patent, it will cost me about $4500. I've tested the idea and there is a market for it and it could be a successful venture.

I can't pay off Sallie Mae and file for LLC and patent at once in Jan of 2024. And if I file for an LLC and patent, I will be living with $300 left every month to put into savings. I'm worried that it is too little and if some big expense comes up, I won't be able to cover it.

I also paid off my car. But in about a year and a half or two years, I’ll have to buy a new one because mine is approaching 100,000 miles. That’s an additional monthly payment which will probably be 300-400$


So, my question is - should I use my $17k in savings in Jan 2024 to file for an LLC and utility patent and bring the game to market. But that will leave me with $300 a month in savings? But with about $10k left in savings overall. Or should I pay off Sallie Mae and have $3k left in savings. But get $650 a month in savings after paying off SM and rebuild my savings and then file for an LLC and patent in 2025 or 2026?

1Reply
9 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · North Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Oxana Loseva

    I would pay off the Sallie Mae loan. Qualified education loans aren't dischargeable through bankruptcy; so you will need to pay it off at some point, and it will remove a lot of mental baggage once it is paid off. I always err on the side of paying off debt prior to investing or starting a business. Starting a business takes a lot more time and money than initially anticipated before it is profitable. 

    Also, you do not need to purchase a new car at 100,000 miles. Cars today last 200k+ miles. That money would be better used for marketing your business.

    https://www.progressive.com/answers/how-many-miles-does-a-ca...

  • Lender · Saddle Brook, NJ · Member since 2023 · 431 posts · 231 votes
    3y

    It may not be as advantageous to pay off the loan as you think. I'm a mortgage professional who looks at peoples debt and helps them plan for future purchase all the time. Let's talk and we can determine what the best course of action is together. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.