Where to Invest While Saving for Your Next Real Estate Investment

Where to Invest While Saving for Your Next Real Estate Investment

Real Estate Agent · Buffalo NY · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 12 votes

You’ve invested in your first or most recent piece of real estate - congratulations! After the stabilization period that comes with the transfer of ownership of real estate, and starting to execute your business plan, you’ll find a lull of activity and an excess of capital with no place for it to be put to work. That is the situation I found myself in recently and this post is an explanation of what came next.

Attention: I am not a certified financial planner nor an investment advisor nor a CPA nor attorney. Seek advice from these professionals to verify if the information presented in this article meets your needs. Note that I am a licensed real estate salesperson in New York and my opinions may be biased by that position. None of the products or securities listed below are sponsors or affiliates at the time of writing.

Setting Investment Objectives

Timeline — My expectation is to invest these funds for only 6-9 months then reallocate them to a private real estate investment. For me, that will be a syndication opportunity, but you are welcome to interpret that as a buy and hold, BRRR, flip, or whatever other strategy you use.

Risk — Preservation of capital is my most important objective for this investment because I need to know the funds will be available when the capital call comes in for the syndication.

However, to truly preserve the purchasing power of my capital today, it needs to be invested in something that returns a rate greater than or equal to the inflation rate. The US Department of Labor reported on December 13, 2022 that the annual CPI (consumer price index) rate in November 2022 was 7.1%[i], down from a high this year in June at 9.1%[ii]. An alternative inflation index that I find interesting, although not held to the same rigor or prestige as the CPI, is the “CCII” or “Christmas Cookie Inflation Index”. This index is produced by Charles (Chuck) Marohn, founder of the urban planning focused non-profit “Strong Towns”, is a basket of goods just like the CPI that he has tracked over since 2019. The 2022 update found the CCII rate to be 12%[iii]. Nearly 5% higher than the CPI.

Finding an investment that yields an annualized return of 7.1%-12% with minimal risk of principal loss over 6-9 months is a tall order for a seasoned investing veterans and a nearly herculean task for a “good enough investor”[iv]. That won’t stop me from trying though!

Strategies

[Listed in order of loss of principle risk]

High yield savings, money market accounts, and CDs

All three of these account types benefit from increased inflation. Banks have to spend more to borrow from larger banks and the Federal Reserve so they’re willing to offer higher savings rates to accumulate funds to lend at even higher rates for real estate, cars, and personal loans. Always remember, first and foremost, banks are in the business of originating loans. Federally insured and offering rates of 3-4%, high yield savings accounts are the least risky place to store your excess capital while saving up to buy your next investment property. A list of the best high yield savings accounts in December of 2022 as rated by Bankrate can be found in the endnotes[v]. Be mindful of account minimums, fees, and compounding period.

Certificates of Deposit (CDs) are a way for banks to guarantee your capital will be invested for a set period of time from 3 months to 5 years with many options in between. Rates are 4.15-4.7% for Nerdwallet’s list of the best CDs going into 2023[vi]. If you are absolutely certain you will not need access to this capital for the full term, then a CD is a good option to get a slightly higher return than a high yield savings or money market account with no risk of principle loss.

Summary: None of them will net the 7% annualized minimum return I am targeting, however; they still have a place in a balanced portfolio to offset riskier investments.

Real estate equity

About a year before purchasing my first investment property (a value-add, 4-unit, house hack with no money down), I asked my broker/boss where he would invest money while saving for his next real estate investment. He responded, “In other properties.” At the time I didn’t fully understand what he meant, but he had a portfolio of 40 units and meant that he would finance purchases with equity from his portfolio using line of credit or refinancing and the cashflow from performing properties to finance acquisitions. For those with a portfolio and expertise in real estate, this is the ideal short term investment vehicle.

Summary: Unfortunately, I am not in a position to leverage equity in my real estate holdings due to lack of performance in one property and comprehensive rehab in another.

Mutual Funds/ETFs

With free access to vast online resources today, it is easy to determine the historical returns of an index, find a passively managed fund with low fees that tracks that index, then invest your capital into that fund. 47 years ago today, Vanguard founder Jack Bogle created the first mutual fund available to retail investors — First Index Investment Trust, now traded as Vanguard 500 Index Fund (VFIAX). Since then, countless other funds have been started with similar objectives and success. However, the S&P 500 dropped over 20% in 2022 and the Nasdaq Composite has dropped over 30% in 2022 making a very tough year for anyone considering retiring on a diversified securities portfolio before 2030. But for the average investor with a long timeline (10 year minimum) who wants broad exposure to many companies and a simplified, time tested approach to securities investing, mutual funds and ETFs are the way to go, especially if the investor is diligent enough to dollar cost average through the lows of this bear market.

Summary: The volatility of the stock market this year and my short timeline make mutual funds/ETFs the wrong vehicle for my objectives.

REITs

Real estate investment trusts (REITs) are the mutual fund equivalent if stocks are like individual properties. A REIT is a pool of many pieces of income generating real estate and/or mortgages. They can be publicly traded on the stock market or privately held. The two factors that set REITs apart from real estate syndications are: a minimum of 100 shareholders after the first year in operation and the requirement to distribute at least 90% of taxable income to shareholders as dividends each year. Publicly traded REITs offer liquidity unlike the purchase of an individual piece of real estate. REITs can also offer diversity and exposure to a variety of commercial property types as well geographic regions that are very challenging to achieve as an individual, unaccredited investor. The requirement to distribute 90% of taxable income as dividends helps compensate for the minimal growth potential of REITs (they're giving most of the cashflow to investors instead of holding it for the next acquisition). Plus, most REITs increase their dividend rate annually. The rate of return on a REIT is dividend yield + growth + repricing return[vii].

Summary: REITs are great for liquidity and diversity of real estate exposure, but like other forms of real estate investments, the highest returns are realized by holding long term and focusing on quality sponsors/managers.

Stocks

I’m not an expert in stocks. Nor do I plan to take the time in the next 5 years to attempt to become one. There is a wide world of information on how to research companies, compare them to each other, compare them to indices, and forecast their growth potential. I have little interest in going beyond a working ability to evaluate my own companies balance sheet, income statement, and cashflow statement. My approach to stock investing is simple: invest in companies whose products or services I understand. My first semester as an undergraduate I took an introductory investing course as an elective. The professor challenged his students to experience the time value of money first hand by advising they borrow the maximum amount in federal student loans available, spend as little as possible during our years at school, and invest the difference. I followed that advice, invested in Apple, and am in a much better financial position as a result plus it gave me the investing mindset which will yield positive returns for the rest of my life.

Summary: Despite a lack of sophistication in theory, I will continue to make investing in a handful of companies I understand a small part of my strategy both for the short and long term.

Notes (loans)

This is an investment vehicle that fascinates me but that I haven't tried yet. Or at least not from the lender's perspective. Finding a flipper or BRRR investor that could afford a hard money rate of 7-12% interest rate, to meet my objective, for 6 months and that I trust is not on my radar at the moment. If I did this would be a moderately risky opportunity to make the return I'm looking for. Alternative note investing options would be a mortgage REIT or some peer to peer lending platform. Or for accredited investors, Note funds like PPR Note Co are a good option if they have 3-5 years to realize gains.

Summary: Lack of access and capital makes this the wrong vehicle for me right now.

Partnerships

Why wait or try investing outside your expertise? If you can find a partner who is willing to accept expertise you possess in exchange for an equity position, then use that to help fund your next deal. This is much easier said than done, but is possible.

Summary: Time is the cost of this arrangement for the person without capital. Time is the most finite resource of all and one I’m not able to part with more of right now. Limiting the number of projects to split your focus between is essential to actually finishing projects and maintaining some semblance of sanity.

The following four strategies have a 100% chance of principle loss because they are payments for a service; however, they also can yield a return when viewed over a long enough timeline.

Debt Pay Down

Yesterday I realized that my one private student loan, which I took out to fund studying abroad in Italy, has a variable rate now up to 6.25% and payments coming due very soon. The principal balance of the loan is $5,330 and I’ve paid the interest each month while it was only 2% over the past few years. With a loan term of 5 years, the monthly payment will be $102 per month. Although it would reduce the amount of capital I have to invest elsewhere, paying off this loan in one lump sum now would save $907 in interest, increase my net worth and would remove the loan from my mom’s credit since she was a co-signer. So, there is a case to be made for paying this loan off instead of investing in one of the other options if I’m not confident I can earn more than 6.25% in those investments.

Insurance

Business insurance. If you own a business, you need insurance. If you are an independent contractor and aren’t sure if you need insurance, contact your attorney, then contact an insurance broker. You probably need insurance. Even when a frivolous lawsuit comes up against you, the requirement to prove that the suit is baseless or that you’re the wrong entity to be sued, is on you. Depending on your business, $500-$1,500 per year may be enough to ensure that in the event of a lawsuit, your other assets are protected. The proper legal structure and estate planning round out any good asset protection plan.

Property insurance. Whether you own the home you live in, rent an apartment or live a nomadic life out of a van, you need insurance to cover potential damages to that home. Buffalo and Western New York recently experienced a once in a generation storm where residents lost heat and power for days and at least 40 lost their lives[viii]. Water pipes burst causing severe property damage and displacing tenants. Roofs leaked due to record breaking wind combined with heavy snowfall then rain. Even generators and cold climate heat pumps failed temporarily during this extended extreme weather event. Prepared property owners had sufficient coverage in place to pay for the damage incurred and very prudent landlords even had “loss to lease” coverage in their policy so they could keep getting paid while their units were being repaired. Conversely, owners who hold property in cash and let their insurance lapse are stuck with the bill for all damages incurred. Tenants with adequate renter’s insurance policies were able to get a hotel room covered for up to six weeks.

Summary: Rare or “black swan” events do happen. Allocating a small amount of liquid capital each year to insurance will yield exponential returns when the time comes to file a claim.

Estate Planning

At the time of writing, I don’t have a will. If I suddenly died without doing any estate planning, all of my assets would be frozen and end up in probate for 120 days. It would take thousands of dollars in legal fees plus an immense amount of stress on my family and business partners to sort through the mess I left for them. A couple thousand on estate planning may not yield any direct monetary return today, but it will buy me piece of mind and will save thousands later on. The return on this investment will increase each year as I continue to acquire more assets and liabilities, even if additional capital contributions need to be made throughout my life as my family situation changes, I grow older, and my investing strategy shifts towards asset protection more than acquisition, the value of my investment into estate planning will increase.

Conclusion

I spent most of the day thinking about this, reviewed all my work and found that none of these options are both feasible and meet the risk adjusted return target in my stated timeline. I did say this would be a herculean task so it should be no surprise that there isn’t a simple answer to my question. So what’s an investor to do? Accept lower returns in exchange for lower risk? Take on more risk through an investment vehicle they aren’t an expert in with hopes of achieving a higher return? Spend more time analyzing and risk missing out on even low returns by leaving capital on the sidelines?

Here’s a better idea: reframe the question.

Short term investments are more of a gamble. Long term, focused, and data driven acquisitions are investments. With that in mind, I still have money sitting in checking and savings accounts that needs to be reallocated. I’ve developed a balanced portfolio mixing most of the strategies listed above with simple rules for continual contributions and the understanding that this is a framework for longer term investments. If I happen to sell some of them in less than 10 years its only because my investment thesis has changed requiring a reallocation of capital to higher yielding investments when they become available.

Asset Allocation

If you made it to the end of this article, you’re still looking for an answer to the question I posed in the title, “Where to invest short term while saving for next real estate investment?” After much more thought and effort than I initially expected, below is a break down of how I plan to allocate the funds in my checking and savings accounts right now. The working capital, emergency fund, estate planning, and insurance buckets will be full after this initial allocation allowing me to concentrate future investments elsewhere. Your plan can and should be different based on your needs, desires, timeline access to tax advantaged retirement accounts, and risk tolerance.

Working capital (day to day funds to live on in a checking account): 10%

Emergency fund (min. 3 months expenses in a high yield savings account): 20%

Tax payment reserve (due to being a sole proprietor without W2 withholding): 30%

Estate planning (estimate): 6%

Business insurance (estimate): 2%

Individual brokerage account: 32% (12% stocks, 20% mutual funds/ETFs)

[i] https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/cpi.pdf

[ii] https://capital.com/us-inflation-rate

[iii] https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2022/11/30/christmas-cookie-inflation-index-2022-update

[iv] https://www.financialsamurai.com/how-to-become-a-better-good-enough-investor/

[v] https://www.bankrate.com/banking/savings/best-high-yield-interests-savings-accounts/

[vi] https://www.nerdwallet.com/best/banking/cd-rates

[vii] https://seekingalpha.com/instablog/47644028-jussi-askola/5488523-best-reit-investment-strategy

[viii] https://buffalonews.com/news/local/what-we-know-about-the-people-who-died-in-buffalo-niagaras-blizzard/article_98a32b72-87aa-11ed-985e-4beeb22a08f1.html

1Reply
68 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y

Post is too long for me to read. 

But to answer the question in your subject line - I'm just leaving excess capital in cash right now. S&P500 is down 16% in the past year. So maybe I "lost" some value to inflation, but would have lost more if I put that money in the market.

I'm hoping to sell some development projects in the next 6 months then will continue to hoard cash until it feels like a recovery is in sight.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Post is too long for me to read. 

    But to answer the question in your subject line - I'm just leaving excess capital in cash right now. S&P500 is down 16% in the past year. So maybe I "lost" some value to inflation, but would have lost more if I put that money in the market.

    I'm hoping to sell some development projects in the next 6 months then will continue to hoard cash until it feels like a recovery is in sight.

  • Real Estate Agent · NY · Member since 2022 · 111 posts · 48 votes
    3y

    just recently i would have said i like to use walgreens stock as a savings account but i pulled and went liquid earlier last year when the market started shifing 

  • Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 888 votes
    3y

    TDLR? I keep cash the problem with investing in a 6-9 month time frame is if you had all the money up front you would be putting it in another property so you likely will be adding to it, thus a CD makes no sense also any other type of loan. In short if you are less than a year IMO the risk of loss and setting me behind on my goals is not worth minimal gains. 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    3y

    Generally the time suck and effort expended trying to maximize the return above risk free rates on so little $ isn’t worth  it.   

    Risk-free and pretty effort free rates for savings are generally about half the inflation rate, now 4%. 

    How much $ are you talking about today?   Less than $20k?  A monthly drip?

    Earning an additiinal 3-4% x3/4 (9 months) on opportimuty fund $x isnt worth all this. 

    Focus on farming your next off-market motivated seller deal.  Each of mine has been worth 1 yr of my wife's salary when she was working. It took less effort than this example trying to earn an extra $200.

  • Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    @Christopher G Platt

    Thanks for taking the time to write such a through post. 

    I generally agree with @Steve Vaughan that unless you have absolutely massive amounts of liquid cash (min six figures) than the time effort and risk isn't worth it. 

    Simplest and easiest, high yield savings account or Money Market Fund.  

    Want to get a big fancier? Do some asset to liability matching ( timing the maturity of your savings vehicle with when you need the cash liquid) using a CD for incremental better yields 

    Super worried about inflation. Buy some TIPS

    At the end of the day, the opportunity cost of spending any more time trying to eke out of few more bps of yield isn't worth it and probably increases your risk far more than you'd ever gain/ 

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Post is awfully long, and skimmed and stopped at your student loan debt. If you have student loan debt you probably shouldn't tell people where to park their money. Manage your debt personally, worry about others later.

  • Rental Property Investor · Murrieta, CA · Member since 2020 · 338 posts · 343 votes
    3y

    @Christopher G Platt

    Initial post way too long skimmed it. I am parking my money in UST, mainly in T-Bills. 6mo has been paying 4.25% when I started to 4.8% recently. It's a decent return while waiting to get enough money to do my next deal. It is risk free and since it is so short term it is "cash like" meaning I can pretty much sell at any time and at minimum get my principal out.

    Saw where you said to be in the stock market if you have not done so already you should have taken profit on these last couple of rallies and moved the majority of your portfolio, over 50% into fixed income, and I am only doing UST right now. We are in a risk off environment with the probability very high for a recession which if the market drops to the avg P/E ratio in a recession puts us around 3200. I would not want my money in something that on avg will drop 20%.

    Do not over complicate things. Making money is about patience and making sound decisions.

  • Member since 2023 · 24 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    was that a private student loan?

    If it was a government loan, then you should never pay the interest when you're not in repayment. They will try to tell you that you should pay the interest if you're going to make payments before your actual start date but this flat out the worst advice they can give.  You are always better off placing that money onto the principal balance (by law you have the right to do this) there for reducing the interest that will accumulate. If you pay the interest, then you will stay the same each month causing you to pay more money over time because you are not reducing the principle. Let the interest balance accumulate because it will accumulate a lot slower and almost to nothing when the principle is attacked first when not in repayment. This is just one example of very bad spread of information that the student loan servicers employ. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Buffalo NY · Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 12 votes
    3y

    Thank you everyone for your comments on this post.

    @Bill F. I appreciate the simplicity of your approach and focusing on opportunity cost. Obviously I lost sight of both going down the rabbit hole that lead me to write the original post. Thank you for the reminder. 

    @V.G Jason, @Scott E., @Nick Robinson. Yes, the post was long in an attempt to address the nuisance of the subject. Any future posts will be summaries or a multipart series.

    @Brian DeLuca Yes, it is a private student loan. Its the only one I have and was taken out in preparation for studying abroad a few years ago. I completely agree with your mindset on federal student loans and have no intention of paying them back any sooner than I have to or it becomes an issue with DTI for getting loans on investment property.

  • Member since 2023 · 24 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    @Brian DeLuca Yes, it is a private student loan. Its the only one I have and was taken out in preparation for studying abroad a few years ago. I completely agree with your mindset on federal student loans and have no intention of paying them back any sooner than I have to or it becomes an issue with DTI for getting loans on investment property.

    Yeah, I almost had it become and issue for me with my first loan. They tried to say I have to pay 600 a month when I have to repay them.. I'm like no the hell not. I will not be paying that much ever
  • Rental Property Investor · Massachusetts and Maine · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 18 votes
    3y

    Treasuries and other bonds are not in this list.

    With a 9 month horizon a rolling 3-month Treasury ladder would work well.  Buy 33% of your stake each month in 3-month Treasuries, roll into new Treasuries each month when they mature.  You can always sell at anytime to get your principle back, and the downside is very limited in a rising rate environment due to the short duration of the bond, and 1/3 of your money becomes available with 0 downside risk every month.

  • Member since 2023 · 24 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Karl Eisenhofer:

    Treasuries and other bonds are not in this list.

    With a 9 month horizon a rolling 3-month Treasury ladder would work well.  Buy 33% of your stake each month in 3-month Treasuries, roll into new Treasuries each month when they mature.  You can always sell at anytime to get your principle back, and the downside is very limited in a rising rate environment due to the short duration of the bond, and 1/3 of your money becomes available with 0 downside risk every month.

    From what I have been finding the do d rates are not as good as I have been getting in my savings/ checking account. I get 5% up to 10,000 for Juno
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.