Just closed on a short term in SC, how do I choose a CPA?

Just closed on a short term in SC, how do I choose a CPA?

Rental Property Investor · Westchester County, NY · Member since 2019 · 26 posts · 4 votes

My wife and I just closed on our first short term rental property in South Carolina. We are looking for a CPA to tax plan and help us reap all the tax benefits of real estate investing. Should we look for someone in New York, South Carolina or does it matter where they are located?

1Reply
46 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    @Michael Morelli

    New York State tax laws are more complex than South Carolina tax laws.
    Your SC return will be a non-resident return and include for the most part only your rental property from SC.

    Short-term rentals have a lot of similarities from their long-term counterparts...but also have many differences for tax purposes.

    best of luck to you in your search

  • Rental Property Investor · Westchester County, NY · Member since 2019 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    Thanks @Basit Siddiqi, that gives me a better understanding on where to start. 

  • Property Manager · Newberry · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    Where did you purchase in SC? How's that STR going? I am looking as well. I use McGregor and Company in Columbia for my long term rentals. They are excellent.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.