What has it been like owning a Lamborghini for one year

HaveEducationWebsite
Classifieds

What has it been like owning a Lamborghini for one year

Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes

June 15th was the one year anniversary receiving my 1999 lamborghini diablo. I got a lot of flack and a lot of support when I bought it. I wrote an article on the good, bad and ugly. Overall it had been an awesome experience and investment. http://investfourmore.com/2015/06/what-it-is-like-...

5Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
11y

Nice ,,,  Never ridden in one.. been in a few Ferrari's... 99 seem vintage enough that it probably did not set you back to many dollars. 

I know I got a thrill when I bought this  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirrus_SR22

  Brand new from the factory..  and I take clients for rides all the time.. over the Oregon coast  etc.  Just went down the SF yesterday and back 6 hours round trip from PDX.. nice to travel at 200 plus miles an hour.. of course its 1k or more every time I take it out of the hanger but.. Heck that's why we are in Real estate right to live the live's we deserve :) 

I was over at our local Ferrari dealer and one can be had for 175 to 400k .. I paid 435k for this airplane so not so different. . but I think I get much better utility and joy out of the airplane and just continue to drive my Hyundai  :)

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    Congratulations!!!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Brian Tapanes:

    Congratulations!!!

     Thank you Brian!

  • Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2012 · 149 posts · 33 votes
    11y

    That's awesome. The maintenance on any sort of exotic is usually an arm and a leg, but if you take care of it, this thing will continue to appreciate, just like you said.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Leonid Sapronov:

    That's awesome. The maintenance on any sort of exotic is usually an arm and a leg, but if you take care of it, this thing will continue to appreciate, just like you said.

     Maintenance is definitely more, but if you maintain it they are actually pretty reliable. If you don't maintain them you have major issues. 

  • Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2012 · 149 posts · 33 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Mark Ferguson:
    Originally posted by @Leonid Sapronov:

    That's awesome. The maintenance on any sort of exotic is usually an arm and a leg, but if you take care of it, this thing will continue to appreciate, just like you said.

     Maintenance is definitely more, but if you maintain it they are actually pretty reliable. If you don't maintain them you have major issues. 

    I'm kinda blown away by how much the Countach's have appreciated. A few short years ago some were going for < $100k. Crazy. Like the vintage 911 market :-)

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    @Mark Ferguson

    Loved how you turned the car into a marketing "Vehicle" with your offer for the free ride.

    That is clever.

    Keep up the good work.

  • Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2012 · 149 posts · 33 votes
    11y

    @Mark Ferguson

     You are gonna get a kick out of this. Take it with a grain of salt, although you can probably relate to a couple of his points :-)

    10 ways buying a lambo will boost your business

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    Nice ,,,  Never ridden in one.. been in a few Ferrari's... 99 seem vintage enough that it probably did not set you back to many dollars. 

    I know I got a thrill when I bought this  

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirrus_SR22

      Brand new from the factory..  and I take clients for rides all the time.. over the Oregon coast  etc.  Just went down the SF yesterday and back 6 hours round trip from PDX.. nice to travel at 200 plus miles an hour.. of course its 1k or more every time I take it out of the hanger but.. Heck that's why we are in Real estate right to live the live's we deserve :) 

    I was over at our local Ferrari dealer and one can be had for 175 to 400k .. I paid 435k for this airplane so not so different. . but I think I get much better utility and joy out of the airplane and just continue to drive my Hyundai  :)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Leonid Sapronov:
    Originally posted by @Mark Ferguson:
    Originally posted by @Leonid Sapronov:

    That's awesome. The maintenance on any sort of exotic is usually an arm and a leg, but if you take care of it, this thing will continue to appreciate, just like you said.

     Maintenance is definitely more, but if you maintain it they are actually pretty reliable. If you don't maintain them you have major issues. 

    I'm kinda blown away by how much the Countach's have appreciated. A few short years ago some were going for < $100k. Crazy. Like the vintage 911 market :-)

     Yeah, I wanted a Countach too, but could not afford one when prices were so low. It is nuts! The 911 turbos were $30k if you got an 80s model a couple years ago and now they have more than doubled or even tripled in value. 

  • Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2012 · 149 posts · 33 votes
    11y

    Before you buy a Countach though, take a look at videos of people driving them, trying to get in and out, trying to park. It is not a user friendly car. And then there's that Top Gear review, I don't remember if it was Hammond or May, but they basically said some dreams are best left as dreams. When he drove the car, it was so impractical and uncomfortable, he almost regretted getting behind the wheel in the first place.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Leonid Sapronov:

    Before you buy a Countach though, take a look at videos of people driving them, trying to get in and out, trying to park. It is not a user friendly car. And then there's that Top Gear review, I don't remember if it was Hammond or May, but they basically said some dreams are best left as dreams. When he drove the car, it was so impractical and uncomfortable, he almost regretted getting behind the wheel in the first place.

     Yes, I have done a lot of research on them. I sat in a couple and got a ride in one in Seattle for my birthday. They are definitely not for the faint of heart or for someone who does not have an obsession with cars. When I went to the Denver car show a couple weeks ago I talked to a couple owners who had Countach's. one had owned their for 19 years and the other for 25 years and they loved them. Check out the Jay Leno garage episode on his Countach. If you are over 6 feet it is not a practical car. I am 6-1, but I can deal with impracticability. There is a really cool Youtube video from a couple guys who are 6-3 who drive one. They both dreamed of the car as well growing up and when driving it admitted it was nothing what they thought it would be, but at the same time even more awesome because it was so unique and different than almost any other car made (looks and driving). Harry's garage has a great episode on the car as well.  

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Leonid Sapronov it was James May that drove the Countach. Must say his experience sort of burst my dreams from yesteryear.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · York, UK · Member since 2013 · 895 posts · 453 votes
    11y

    I remember that original post.  Back then I thought I would never drop my earnings on a splashy vehicle, but I have been cruising autotrader lately. I think I would look ridiculous driving a vintage muscle car... but looking ridiculous has never really been a concern :)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Micki M.:

    I remember that original post.  Back then I thought I would never drop my earnings on a splashy vehicle, but I have been cruising autotrader lately. I think I would look ridiculous driving a vintage muscle car... but looking ridiculous has never really been a concern :)

    It's all perception. Some would think you look awesome driving a muscle car. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.