Contractors, electricians, plumber,pms to reccomend for MTR/LTR duplex

Contractors, electricians, plumber,pms to reccomend for MTR/LTR duplex

Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 10 votes

Hello all, I am from NYC and currently closing on a duplex in Marion village. This is my first investment property and although I know Columbus is better for appreciation vs cashflow, I would like to atleast net positive as I hold onto the property. I am closing at 372k for a 2.5bd and 1ba per side. Mortgage running around 2900 for 15% down. 

I am considering adding a bath for one side to do MTR not so much STR because I hear it is difficult to find a good pm (unless anyone has suggestions) and do some light cosmetic updates on one side for a LTR (median $1760/mo) for consistent/passive income.

I wanted to know if there are any contractors/handymen/women (looking for quotes this week), property managers (STR/MTR/LTR), electricians that you would reccomend for the beginning of this process. Thank you!

Also curious if anyone has experience doing a different strategy per side of a multifamily, any pros or cons to share? Thank you.

7Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Austin McClainBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · OH · Member since 2021 · 347 posts · 602 votes
2y

I have a list that I can send to help. I'll reach out on your DM's to share it 

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Southern California · Member since 2019 · 681 posts · 281 votes
    2y

    Does your Realtor not have some of these contacts you can reach out to?

  • Austin McClainBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · OH · Member since 2021 · 347 posts · 602 votes
    2y

    I have a list that I can send to help. I'll reach out on your DM's to share it 

  • Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    Oh yes @Nicholas Coulter, he did offer some suggestions but hoping to see if there are any others that may be reccomended to compare some quotes before closing.

  • Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    thank you @Austin McClain, I really appreciate it!

  • Real Estate Agent · Southern California · Member since 2019 · 681 posts · 281 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Blessing Uzoma Mbamalu:

    Oh yes @Nicholas Coulter, he did offer some suggestions but hoping to see if there are any others that may be reccomended to compare some quotes before closing.

    Good call. I would check maybe with some local investors although they may not want to share their ace in the hole. You can also try next door and post in there looking for references!
  • Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 10 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Nicholas Coulter:
    Quote from @Blessing Uzoma Mbamalu:

    Oh yes @Nicholas Coulter, he did offer some suggestions but hoping to see if there are any others that may be reccomended to compare some quotes before closing.

    Good call. I would check maybe with some local investors although they may not want to share their ace in the hole. You can also try next door and post in there looking for references!
    Wow okay thank you so much actually! I'll try nextdoor asap 
  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Blessing Uzoma Mbamalu:

    Hello all, I am from NYC and currently closing on a duplex in Marion village. This is my first investment property and although I know Columbus is better for appreciation vs cashflow, I would like to atleast net positive as I hold onto the property. I am closing at 372k for a 2.5bd and 1ba per side. Mortgage running around 2900 for 15% down. 

    I am considering adding a bath for one side to do MTR not so much STR because I hear it is difficult to find a good pm (unless anyone has suggestions) and do some light cosmetic updates on one side for a LTR (median $1760/mo) for consistent/passive income.

    I wanted to know if there are any contractors/handymen/women (looking for quotes this week), property managers (STR/MTR/LTR), electricians that you would reccomend for the beginning of this process. Thank you!

    Also curious if anyone has experience doing a different strategy per side of a multifamily, any pros or cons to share? Thank you.


    Hi Blessing, congratulations on your new property! You can also check local FB groups in your area and see who the most recommended services are. I manage one for Columbus and see a lot of successful referrals there. Happy to connect and answer any questions you may have.

  • Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 10 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jimmy Lieu:
    Quote from @Blessing Uzoma Mbamalu:

    Hello all, I am from NYC and currently closing on a duplex in Marion village. This is my first investment property and although I know Columbus is better for appreciation vs cashflow, I would like to atleast net positive as I hold onto the property. I am closing at 372k for a 2.5bd and 1ba per side. Mortgage running around 2900 for 15% down. 

    I am considering adding a bath for one side to do MTR not so much STR because I hear it is difficult to find a good pm (unless anyone has suggestions) and do some light cosmetic updates on one side for a LTR (median $1760/mo) for consistent/passive income.

    I wanted to know if there are any contractors/handymen/women (looking for quotes this week), property managers (STR/MTR/LTR), electricians that you would reccomend for the beginning of this process. Thank you!

    Also curious if anyone has experience doing a different strategy per side of a multifamily, any pros or cons to share? Thank you.


    Hi Blessing, congratulations on your new property! You can also check local FB groups in your area and see who the most recommended services are. I manage one for Columbus and see a lot of successful referrals there. Happy to connect and answer any questions you may have.

    Thank you so much for the tip Jimmy, I don't know how fb marketplace slipped my mind. I'll check that weight out 
  • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Blessing Uzoma Mbamalu:

    Hello all, I am from NYC and currently closing on a duplex in Marion village. This is my first investment property and although I know Columbus is better for appreciation vs cashflow, I would like to atleast net positive as I hold onto the property. I am closing at 372k for a 2.5bd and 1ba per side. Mortgage running around 2900 for 15% down. 

    I am considering adding a bath for one side to do MTR not so much STR because I hear it is difficult to find a good pm (unless anyone has suggestions) and do some light cosmetic updates on one side for a LTR (median $1760/mo) for consistent/passive income.

    I wanted to know if there are any contractors/handymen/women (looking for quotes this week), property managers (STR/MTR/LTR), electricians that you would reccomend for the beginning of this process. Thank you!

    Also curious if anyone has experience doing a different strategy per side of a multifamily, any pros or cons to share? Thank you.

    Merion Village is a good part of town. My office is in German Village which is right above it. $372k does seem like a good price. Is your PITI $2,900 or is that just the PI? You should be able to get around $1700/mo if you are in true Merion Village.

    Reach out if you have any questions. I have several properties here in Columbus. I can connect you with the right general contractors and handymen that can help you. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 593 posts · 664 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Blessing Uzoma Mbamalu:

    Hello all, I am from NYC and currently closing on a duplex in Marion village. This is my first investment property and although I know Columbus is better for appreciation vs cashflow, I would like to atleast net positive as I hold onto the property. I am closing at 372k for a 2.5bd and 1ba per side. Mortgage running around 2900 for 15% down. 

    I am considering adding a bath for one side to do MTR not so much STR because I hear it is difficult to find a good pm (unless anyone has suggestions) and do some light cosmetic updates on one side for a LTR (median $1760/mo) for consistent/passive income.

    I wanted to know if there are any contractors/handymen/women (looking for quotes this week), property managers (STR/MTR/LTR), electricians that you would reccomend for the beginning of this process. Thank you!

    Also curious if anyone has experience doing a different strategy per side of a multifamily, any pros or cons to share? Thank you.


    If you want to go the STR route we've used Hospitality and had a good relationship with them. I can send you their contact information via DM

    For my columbus portfolio I personally like the bread and butter of REI and that's LTR. You can have some sunk cost if you decide to not stick with the STR or MTR.

  • New to Real Estate · Los Angeles · Member since 2022 · 43 posts · 41 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Blessing Uzoma Mbamalu:

    Hello all, I am from NYC and currently closing on a duplex in Marion village. This is my first investment property and although I know Columbus is better for appreciation vs cashflow, I would like to atleast net positive as I hold onto the property. I am closing at 372k for a 2.5bd and 1ba per side. Mortgage running around 2900 for 15% down. 

    I am considering adding a bath for one side to do MTR not so much STR because I hear it is difficult to find a good pm (unless anyone has suggestions) and do some light cosmetic updates on one side for a LTR (median $1760/mo) for consistent/passive income.

    I wanted to know if there are any contractors/handymen/women (looking for quotes this week), property managers (STR/MTR/LTR), electricians that you would reccomend for the beginning of this process. Thank you!

    Also curious if anyone has experience doing a different strategy per side of a multifamily, any pros or cons to share? Thank you.


     2bed/1bath in merion village for $1760/mo LTR?? Are you sure? That seems extremely high to me

  • Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 10 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Catherine Ding:
    Quote from @Blessing Uzoma Mbamalu:

    Hello all, I am from NYC and currently closing on a duplex in Marion village. This is my first investment property and although I know Columbus is better for appreciation vs cashflow, I would like to atleast net positive as I hold onto the property. I am closing at 372k for a 2.5bd and 1ba per side. Mortgage running around 2900 for 15% down. 

    I am considering adding a bath for one side to do MTR not so much STR because I hear it is difficult to find a good pm (unless anyone has suggestions) and do some light cosmetic updates on one side for a LTR (median $1760/mo) for consistent/passive income.

    I wanted to know if there are any contractors/handymen/women (looking for quotes this week), property managers (STR/MTR/LTR), electricians that you would reccomend for the beginning of this process. Thank you!

    Also curious if anyone has experience doing a different strategy per side of a multifamily, any pros or cons to share? Thank you.


     2bed/1bath in merion village for $1760/mo LTR?? Are you sure? That seems extremely high to me


    Hello there, its technically a 3bd and 1ba. Will be adding .5 bath per side. These are the comps I got for the area, but definitely open to hearing your perspective 

  • Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 10 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Austin Steed:
    Quote from @Blessing Uzoma Mbamalu:

    Hello all, I am from NYC and currently closing on a duplex in Marion village. This is my first investment property and although I know Columbus is better for appreciation vs cashflow, I would like to atleast net positive as I hold onto the property. I am closing at 372k for a 2.5bd and 1ba per side. Mortgage running around 2900 for 15% down. 

    I am considering adding a bath for one side to do MTR not so much STR because I hear it is difficult to find a good pm (unless anyone has suggestions) and do some light cosmetic updates on one side for a LTR (median $1760/mo) for consistent/passive income.

    I wanted to know if there are any contractors/handymen/women (looking for quotes this week), property managers (STR/MTR/LTR), electricians that you would reccomend for the beginning of this process. Thank you!

    Also curious if anyone has experience doing a different strategy per side of a multifamily, any pros or cons to share? Thank you.


    If you want to go the STR route we've used Hospitality and had a good relationship with them. I can send you their contact information via DM

    For my columbus portfolio I personally like the bread and butter of REI and that's LTR. You can have some sunk cost if you decide to not stick with the STR or MTR.


     Thank you for the insight, I definitely have been mulling over that for some time. It's just that either str I like the idea of being able to cashflow better with less wear and tear. Although operating costs/effort go up. However I chose to look b+ and up just to be have more flexibility regarding strategy

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.