• New to Real Estate
  • Houston, RGV
Votes |
Too distressed properties?

Jacob Cuellar
  • New to Real Estate
  • Houston, RGV
Posted Jul 15 2024, 10:35

Hi there everyone, im currently actively looking for properties to wholesale, but is there such a thing as TOO distressed to wholesale? or would it just depend on the market your in?

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Brown
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Replied Jul 15 2024, 11:22

You can wholesale "any" property. It will be based on numbers. There are plenty of dumpy properties in rough areas where buyers won't buy because it doesn't make any sense. But if you had a burn damaged house in the suburbs it'd sell. If you are starting to wholesale I would first focus on the prime areas, of course these are competitive but the properties will move. Once you start getting traction run realistic numbers for when you wholesale

User Stats

Votes
David Ramirez#1 Wholesaling Contributor
  • Wholesaler
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Jul 15 2024, 12:35

Not really. Usually, full gut, fire-damaged, and heavily flooded properties among others of heavy rehab will need bigger spreads and a certain type of investor, which results in a smaller pool of buyers. I've found that properties needing around $40k - $60k in repairs, which is usually cosmetic and one of the mechanicals or roof, will have high demand due to a larger pool of buyers.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Montross
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Crownsville, MD
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Crownsville, MD
Replied Jul 22 2024, 11:23

I believe it really is all about the numbers. If you run the renovation numbers and buy it for the right price, there are investors out there that will buy it. As mentioned above, though, your buyer pool is limited. You may want to stay away from those properties until you have a big enough buyer pool that you can find a buyer quickly.

One caution I have is people will state, "the value is in the land." This may be true, but they try to sell it for more than just what the land is worth. If the property is truly a tear-down, it is a negative value structure and you should be paying less than the value of the land to buy it because the structure is adding negative value. It really is hard for some sellers to understand that, but most investors know it. Good luck getting your wholesaling business up and running.