User Stats

Votes
Vivan Bhalla
Votes |
Looking for wholesale deals in philly

Vivan Bhalla
Posted Apr 10 2024, 11:56

Hi,

I am looking for wholesale deals in Philly area. I am going to use hard money lending. Is there any wholesaler who has good deals and can help me out?

Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Stuart Udis
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Philadelphia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Attorney
  • Philadelphia
Replied Apr 10 2024, 14:19

If you are qualifying deals based on whether they are "wholesale" or even "off market", you are going to miss out on opportunities. In the past 6 months I purchased two properties on the MLS that appraised at time of settlement for at least $300,000 more than the contract price. I probably receive 100 emails a week from wholesalers and not one has sent me an opportunity that compares.

User Stats

Votes
Eric Greenberg
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Apr 14 2024, 06:42

Agreed with Stuart. Dont get hung up on finding an ‘off market deal' just because folks talk about them. Also recognize they can be a tougher deal vs a MLS property as you may deal with wholesalers not being truthful/title issues/etc as well as usually needing cash or hard-money in a very short time frame.

Ie it sounds great but can also get you into trouble if you don’t really know what you’re doing. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Alan Asriants
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Apr 25 2024, 10:02

Eric and Stuart bring good points. 

Many "off market" deals are carried by people who are not licensed professionals looking to just close a deal and push it onto you. Not saying there aren't deals out there, but the getting "burnt" rate is much higher

A buddy of mine was recently trying to buy a home through a wholesaler who was trying to sell him a deal with title issues. Luckily he used my trusted title company who did not insure the deal. 

he kept trying to push my friend to use his title company who could "clear" this big red flag of an issue. 

Not all wholesalers are like this, but as mentioned above, don't buy into the hype. Reach out to an expert realtor who is focused on building relationships and has investment experience. Get on a wholesaler list, and even ask the trusted realtor to evaluate the deal. Paying a realtor a sum of money to represent you on the transaction is nothing compared to what kind of costs you could get roped into!