Any referral to a contractor that can do big projects?

Any referral to a contractor that can do big projects?

Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 3 votes

Hi, 

We are entering a binding offer today. The renovation scope is about 6000 to 8000 sqft, high end apartments, 6 units. Currently down to studs and 450k to 500k budget. My agent referred us to one contractor, Blue Jay Renovation. Nothing against them. I like options and negotiation power. Anyone has experience working with a contractor that can handle this size of a job?

Thanks in advance.

0Reply
4 views

Most Popular Reply

Bruce WoodruffPro Member
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
2y

What @Chris Seveney said. My first thought also was to do the math. If you're doing 8,000 SF and your max budget is $500,000, that means you're spending $62.50 per SF. 

On a 'down-to-the-studs' remodel? 

And that are high end?

You are so far off, I don't care where you are doing this.....If you were in SoCal or another expensive market, you'd be looking at minimum $300k SF. So even in Atlanta you are looking at $150 SF.....at least! So your budget should be more like $1,200,000+....

Sorry, but somebody here has to do a reality check. Now, if Chris and I are horribly wrong, please let us know. We need to know what prices are around the country so we can better advise people looking to do remodels....So please share the bid you get from this Blue Jay Renovations....

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Zhijie Wang:

    Hi, 

    We are entering a binding offer today. The renovation scope is about 6000 to 8000 sqft, high end apartments, 6 units. Currently down to studs and 450k to 500k budget. My agent referred us to one contractor, Blue Jay Renovation. Nothing against them. I like options and negotiation power. Anyone has experience working with a contractor that can handle this size of a job?

    Thanks in advance.


     Is the property in Atlanta? is it 6000 or 8000 sf? High end apartments and six of them meaning each is 1000sf+ and only a $75-80k budget for high end seems low. Assume its interior only work and nothing on the exterior (siding, roofing, windows etc.) needs to be done. 

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y

    What @Chris Seveney said. My first thought also was to do the math. If you're doing 8,000 SF and your max budget is $500,000, that means you're spending $62.50 per SF. 

    On a 'down-to-the-studs' remodel? 

    And that are high end?

    You are so far off, I don't care where you are doing this.....If you were in SoCal or another expensive market, you'd be looking at minimum $300k SF. So even in Atlanta you are looking at $150 SF.....at least! So your budget should be more like $1,200,000+....

    Sorry, but somebody here has to do a reality check. Now, if Chris and I are horribly wrong, please let us know. We need to know what prices are around the country so we can better advise people looking to do remodels....So please share the bid you get from this Blue Jay Renovations....

  • Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Zhijie Wang:

    Hi, 

    We are entering a binding offer today. The renovation scope is about 6000 to 8000 sqft, high end apartments, 6 units. Currently down to studs and 450k to 500k budget. My agent referred us to one contractor, Blue Jay Renovation. Nothing against them. I like options and negotiation power. Anyone has experience working with a contractor that can handle this size of a job?

    Thanks in advance.


     Is the property in Atlanta? is it 6000 or 8000 sf? High end apartments and six of them meaning each is 1000sf+ and only a $75-80k budget for high end seems low. Assume its interior only work and nothing on the exterior (siding, roofing, windows etc.) needs to be done. 


     From the past record I can tell, 5 of the 6 units are around 1400 sqft each. No need for exterior, other than door replacements and some minor sanding with pain touch ups. Plumbing in place. new electrical. Some kitchen and bathroom are still in place.

    Some drywall and flooring does remain in place, but many has been striped or demo to reveal studs.


    in regard to cost per unit, estimator gave the price of 70-80k per unit. In terms of the “high end”, I mean the sky is the limit and different people use the term refer to different range I guess. But agent used the word after finding multiple 7ft spa size shower tubs and full marble counter tops in place.

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Zhijie Wang:
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Zhijie Wang:

    Hi, 

    We are entering a binding offer today. The renovation scope is about 6000 to 8000 sqft, high end apartments, 6 units. Currently down to studs and 450k to 500k budget. My agent referred us to one contractor, Blue Jay Renovation. Nothing against them. I like options and negotiation power. Anyone has experience working with a contractor that can handle this size of a job?

    Thanks in advance.


     Is the property in Atlanta? is it 6000 or 8000 sf? High end apartments and six of them meaning each is 1000sf+ and only a $75-80k budget for high end seems low. Assume its interior only work and nothing on the exterior (siding, roofing, windows etc.) needs to be done. 


     From the past record I can tell, 5 of the 6 units are around 1400 sqft each. No need for exterior, other than door replacements and some minor sanding with pain touch ups. Plumbing in place. new electrical. Some kitchen and bathroom are still in place.

    Some drywall and flooring does remain in place, but many has been striped or demo to reveal studs.


    in regard to cost per unit, estimator gave the price of 70-80k per unit. In terms of the “high end”, I mean the sky is the limit and different people use the term refer to different range I guess. But agent used the word after finding multiple 7ft spa size shower tubs and full marble counter tops in place.


     Wait, have you not personally walked these units?

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    What @Chris Seveney said. My first thought also was to do the math. If you're doing 8,000 SF and your max budget is $500,000, that means you're spending $62.50 per SF. 

    On a 'down-to-the-studs' remodel? 

    And that are high end?

    You are so far off, I don't care where you are doing this.....If you were in SoCal or another expensive market, you'd be looking at minimum $300k SF. So even in Atlanta you are looking at $150 SF.....at least! So your budget should be more like $1,200,000+....

    Sorry, but somebody here has to do a reality check. Now, if Chris and I are horribly wrong, please let us know. We need to know what prices are around the country so we can better advise people looking to do remodels....So please share the bid you get from this Blue Jay Renovations....


    Not my first time in the rodeo. Did a 800sqft renovation is SF Bay Area myself with subs, 2 car garage with attached structure to ADU. I own multiple properties in SF Area. It had only roofs and exterior walls. Managed to do it cheaply with $115 / sqft with some of my own sweat and muscle. So I get your comment about $65/sqft and "high end". Hence why I need more options and more contractors / eyes on the project.

    maybe my “down to stud” comment is not accurate. 3 rooms with drywalls gutted completely. All higher levels have top sections to the drywall remain.


    as I said, “high end” is a term used by agent, and the each unit has features such as in-unit laundry, wall to wall closet. I might be completely off.

    Another note: my original budget is 600k, estimator came back and said 70-80k per unit is enough.

  • Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Zhijie Wang:
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Zhijie Wang:

    Hi, 

    We are entering a binding offer today. The renovation scope is about 6000 to 8000 sqft, high end apartments, 6 units. Currently down to studs and 450k to 500k budget. My agent referred us to one contractor, Blue Jay Renovation. Nothing against them. I like options and negotiation power. Anyone has experience working with a contractor that can handle this size of a job?

    Thanks in advance.


     Is the property in Atlanta? is it 6000 or 8000 sf? High end apartments and six of them meaning each is 1000sf+ and only a $75-80k budget for high end seems low. Assume its interior only work and nothing on the exterior (siding, roofing, windows etc.) needs to be done. 


     From the past record I can tell, 5 of the 6 units are around 1400 sqft each. No need for exterior, other than door replacements and some minor sanding with pain touch ups. Plumbing in place. new electrical. Some kitchen and bathroom are still in place.

    Some drywall and flooring does remain in place, but many has been striped or demo to reveal studs.


    in regard to cost per unit, estimator gave the price of 70-80k per unit. In terms of the “high end”, I mean the sky is the limit and different people use the term refer to different range I guess. But agent used the word after finding multiple 7ft spa size shower tubs and full marble counter tops in place.


     Wait, have you not personally walked these units?

    Out of state investor. I have videos. You can say I am bold.
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Zhijie Wang:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    What @Chris Seveney said. My first thought also was to do the math. If you're doing 8,000 SF and your max budget is $500,000, that means you're spending $62.50 per SF. 

    On a 'down-to-the-studs' remodel? 

    And that are high end?

    You are so far off, I don't care where you are doing this.....If you were in SoCal or another expensive market, you'd be looking at minimum $300k SF. So even in Atlanta you are looking at $150 SF.....at least! So your budget should be more like $1,200,000+....

    Sorry, but somebody here has to do a reality check. Now, if Chris and I are horribly wrong, please let us know. We need to know what prices are around the country so we can better advise people looking to do remodels....So please share the bid you get from this Blue Jay Renovations....


    Not my first time in the rodeo. Did a 800sqft renovation is SF Bay Area myself with subs, 2 car garage with attached structure to ADU. I own multiple properties in SF Area. It had only roofs and exterior walls. Managed to do it cheaply with $115 / sqft with some of my own sweat and muscle. So I get your comment about $65/sqft and "high end". Hence why I need more options and more contractors / eyes on the project.

    maybe my “down to stud” comment is not accurate. 3 rooms with drywalls gutted completely. All higher levels have top sections to the drywall remain.


    as I said, “high end” is a term used by agent, and the each unit has features such as in-unit laundry, wall to wall closet. I might be completely off.

    Another note: my original budget is 600k, estimator came back and said 70-80k per unit is enough.

    Gosh, I just think you're really low. I would not attempt this project without a much larger budget in place.

    But you say you are bold, so best of luck to you.. let me know if you need any more help...maybe put up your spreadsheet and see what we can find....
  • Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Zhijie Wang:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    What @Chris Seveney said. My first thought also was to do the math. If you're doing 8,000 SF and your max budget is $500,000, that means you're spending $62.50 per SF. 

    On a 'down-to-the-studs' remodel? 

    And that are high end?

    You are so far off, I don't care where you are doing this.....If you were in SoCal or another expensive market, you'd be looking at minimum $300k SF. So even in Atlanta you are looking at $150 SF.....at least! So your budget should be more like $1,200,000+....

    Sorry, but somebody here has to do a reality check. Now, if Chris and I are horribly wrong, please let us know. We need to know what prices are around the country so we can better advise people looking to do remodels....So please share the bid you get from this Blue Jay Renovations....


    Not my first time in the rodeo. Did a 800sqft renovation is SF Bay Area myself with subs, 2 car garage with attached structure to ADU. I own multiple properties in SF Area. It had only roofs and exterior walls. Managed to do it cheaply with $115 / sqft with some of my own sweat and muscle. So I get your comment about $65/sqft and "high end". Hence why I need more options and more contractors / eyes on the project.

    maybe my “down to stud” comment is not accurate. 3 rooms with drywalls gutted completely. All higher levels have top sections to the drywall remain.


    as I said, “high end” is a term used by agent, and the each unit has features such as in-unit laundry, wall to wall closet. I might be completely off.

    Another note: my original budget is 600k, estimator came back and said 70-80k per unit is enough.

    Gosh, I just think you're really low. I would not attempt this project without a much larger budget in place.

    But you say you are bold, so best of luck to you.. let me know if you need any more help...maybe put up your spreadsheet and see what we can find....

     Well, 450k is not my budget limit and I have no confidence in that number either. Hence why I prefer more GC comes in and take a look and possible, submit a bid. My own walk-away threshold would be 700k for rehab.

    agent said the rent could be higher than 2K. Median rent in the area is 2300-2500. I am comfortable as long as 450k finish the job with a standard look and net me 1800 a unit, then I don't lose money. I am open to better finish and higher ROI.

    Appreciate all the info and help.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Marietta Ga · Member since 2023 · 34 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Zhijie,

    I'm in the Atlanta area, Marietta to be exact. I've got several contractors I've worked with in several areas of GA. I'd be happy to take a look at your project with 1 or 2 of them and see if we can be of any help. Don, 770-369-6336. You can call me tomorrow if you have time, look forward to speaking with you.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Marietta Ga · Member since 2023 · 34 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Zhijie,

    I'm in the Atlanta area, Marietta to be exact. I've got several contractors I've worked with in several areas of GA. I'd be happy to take a look at your project with 1 or 2 of them and see if we can be of any help. Don, 770-369-6336. You can call me tomorrow if you have time, look forward to speaking with you.

  • Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Don Goff:

    Zhijie,

    I'm in the Atlanta area, Marietta to be exact. I've got several contractors I've worked with in several areas of GA. I'd be happy to take a look at your project with 1 or 2 of them and see if we can be of any help. Don, 770-369-6336. You can call me tomorrow if you have time, look forward to speaking with you.

    will do
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.