Lender · CO CA TX WA ID OR · Member since 2020 · 419 posts · 542 votes
3y
Here's a list of contractors that have already been vetted by a lender of mine (I'm a mortgage broker in CA, WA, ID, OR, CO, and TX).
They are registered and my lender makes sure they are in good standing, have their latest licensing/bonding, and have done business with folks wanting to do 203k, VA renovation, Homestyle, and One Time Close projects.
I recommend you look up their website and make sure the address I have here matches their contact information - then call them.
I'm not licensed to do business in Georgia, or else I'd be happy to help :)
Definitely recommend using a Certified 203k Contractor. They have been properly educated on the 203k guidelines, processes, timelines, paperwork and have also been financially vetted to ensure they can afford the startup costs and ongoing expenses they have to pay for on 203k projects.
While any licensed contractor knows how to throw hammers and do reno's, very very few actually know the ins/outs of the unique nature of the 203k and very few of those are financially stable enough to be able to do them.
You're only as strong as your weakest link ... select your partners wisely.